Community
Wiki Posts
Search

os reducing/stopping service to australia ???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
os reducing/stopping service to australia ???

austrian newspaper "der standard" reports that os intends to cancel/reduce its service to australia. further details will be announced next tuesday.

source (german only)

CHris
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Just when they've finally upgraded the seats
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
The Kangaroo route seems to be suffering a lot lately. First BA cancelled the MEL flights and are now reducing the SYD service from a 747 to a 777 and now OS...

Looks like the gulf based airlines (Emirates, Gulf, Qatar) are really cutting into the customer base of the European airlines now. I have to admit, I will be trying Qatar airways for the first time next week on a FRA-DOH-HKG flight. Unbeatable J price of EUR 2.190. I am curious of what I will be getting for this? Bonus miles will go to M&M (and as I do not need any status miles it is ok)
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Also NZ pulling out of SIN.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Looks like the gulf based airlines (Emirates, Gulf, Qatar) are really cutting into the customer base of the European airlines now.
And most of the premium pax, (as well as a lot of "comfort-driven" economy pax) are choosing SQ, CX and even TG.

The innate advantage of having a hub right in the middle of the Kangaroo route is something that cannot be underestimated.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Didn't someone fbuy some cheap D fares to OZ recently?I guess it was in the thread about how "cheap" would it be to become HON.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by MACH81
Didn't someone fbuy some cheap D fares to OZ recently?I guess it was in the thread about how "cheap" would it be to become HON.
Guess my birthday party idea for SYD is in limbo now.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Guess my birthday party idea for SYD is in limbo now.
Nah. Make the booking while it the service is still around and then get bumped to NZ or SQ
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Nah. Make the booking while it the service is still around and then get bumped to NZ or SQ
That's the problem. I don't want to ticket until I'm sure it will happen, who's coming etc. Not to mention that I'll have to fly in guests, too, and that was supposed to happen on OS, as well.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by flysurfer
That's the problem. I don't want to ticket until I'm sure it will happen, who's coming etc. Not to mention that I'll have to fly in guests, too, and that was supposed to happen on OS, as well.
As long as the ticket has some flexibility - just book it with dummy dates and move them to firm dates once you have these. Even if there is a change fee you could still be saving euros over an SQ fare.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as the ticket has some flexibility - just book it with dummy dates and move them to firm dates once you have these. Even if there is a change fee you could still be saving euros over an SQ fare.
I'm not inclined to spend more $$$ than necessary, like paying change fees or booking anything but the cheapest fare on the planet, an I don't want to risk getting people rebooked to other carriers, dates or routings on what's basically a weekend trip. So I'll wait and see what happens. Maybe EK has a nice offer, could be even group tour rate or sumthin. It's not like we have to be in SYD. There are other places we can go.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
I knew it was you flysurfer!

Sorry to hear your plans may be smacked!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Just when they've finally upgraded the seats
They haven't quite yet - first flight with new business class is now showing as 27 July on VIE-KUL-SYD. But this has been moved a number of times now days before it should have happened, so don't rely on this...

Do you think they are really going to cancel before March? I would think that the route would at least be profitable in the Northern winter.

I have flights going out to Oz middle of October and coming back middle of November, hope it will last at least until then! I was looking forward to the new business seats...

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Considering that the yield beyond KUL and SIN was desastrous, I think it is much smarter to fly these birds to cities where the bird will be back in VIE the next day to operate another long range flight.

If you fly to Oz only 2-4 times a week you will lose the few C pax left who will migrate to airlines flying daily or even double daily. Although the TATL market is also not what it used to be yield wise, OS is experiencing healthy loads and unexpected traffic streams from Eastern Europe to the US, so it would not surprise me, if they add another US flight....ORD would be a logical fit.

OS would probably prefer India or China, but I do not know if the current bil. agreements allow them to increase their services.

One should also not forget that Malaysia pulled out of VIE, so KUL should be doable...and if I turn the wheel of speculation once more, TPE has to be mentioned as well...
Old Jul 21, 2006, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Well the actual price for a redticket ist 1168.- in NOV (v)

What happens if they cancel the route till then? Change to Star Alliance members or cancel the complete reservation an refund to the credit card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.