Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton DFW Airport, Dallas/Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton DFW Airport, Dallas/Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2001, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Arrow Sheraton DFW Airport, Dallas/Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? What are rooms like, service, etc.? I have not been able to concentrate all my stays at one hotel chain this year so I do not have status at Starwood - though I am just 2 stays away from Gold.

------------------
I Love New York
Old Nov 6, 2001, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Typical airport hotel. Nothing special.
They have lots of events there (such as
weddings) and it is often loud. No real
Club. Just a open area on top floor with
continental breakfest. Instead I got a
voucher for brunch on lobby level. Staff
is not efficient. They do not have their
own shuttle from DFW and use some parking
company bus. Wait later at night is long
for bus and you must call hotel to get.
Rate is often good.
Old Feb 28, 2002, 8:02 am

Programs: AC E SPG Gold
Sheraton DFW Dallas Fort Worth [Master Thread]

I had a couple of nights (separate stays!) at this hotel last week. I was immensely impressed with the facilities available on the 12th floor, to which I was upgraded as a Plat. Hot & cold hors d'oeuvres from 6-8 with free beer (including imports) and wine was a great start (even though my room was close to the lounge area and the noise overflowed through my less-than-soundproof door), but I was even more impressed in the morning. Cooked to order eggs station, excellent sausage & bacon, almost fawning waitress service - I was amazed. To the point of leaving a 10-dollar tip, and my friends (both of them) would tell you that's a first!! Worth begging your way to the 12th floor if this hotel is in your plans, if humanly possible. Non-12th floor guests could be brought along for $20 - seemed pretty reasonable to me.
Old Feb 28, 2002, 10:38 am

Bin707, I second everything you said. I stayed on a Sunday night a couple of weeks ago. The club lounge did not open in the evening, but I had a wonderful breakfast.
Old May 8, 2002, 6:16 pm

What is the best option for Starwood at DFW? Is Sheraton Grand DFW the only starwood in the area? looking for short transit time from airport to hotel + fast check-in and check-out.
Old May 9, 2002, 8:21 am

Based on your criteria, it is definitely the best option. Less than 3 miles from the airport north entrance. I have not stayed there, but there was a recent review on this board that had good things to stay.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs down Sheraton DFW Dallas Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Showed up at the Sheraton DFW on Tuesday night a little after midnight. My flight was actually on time (unlike all of the flight delays that were suffered), but I had always intended to get in late.

Got tiny little room on 5th floor and key card for 12th floor lounge. Was told that no other rooms were left because of "flight interruptions." Room had none of the usual Plat amenities (water, etc.) and had sheets that were torn. Room was about as small as a small room in Tokyo.

Got up around 6 AM - no newspaper - none in the lounge.

Checked out and got front desk manager - complained about room, was told that "when you checked in, that was all that was left" - translation - "we thought you missed your plane and gave a better room away." Complained about paper and was told "the storm interrupted delivery and we ran out before we got to your floor." Asked if I wanted one then (as I was leaving for work), I said yes and they gave me a used one that the bellman had been reading.

Asked about Sheraton Service Promise and was told "we gave you a newspaper, what else do you want?"

To me, this brings home the issue of Starwood not having something akin to Hilton's Zip In Check In or other check-in programs. The front desk manager also told me that as a franchise, they can't trust the credit card information in the *Wood reservation and have to "run every credit card and see ID before they'll release a room." How many deadbeat Plats are there (who are using their *Wood AmEx, too)?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
5th floor must be the new Plat floor. Was there last weekend for two night. No lounge access given or discussed. No newpaper either now that I think about it. Did get the 500 points offered and accepted so I know they new I was a Plat. Hotel was okay for the price, not sure I would stay there again due to the way they treat Plats.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer

Checked out and got front desk manager - complained about room, was told that "when you checked in, that was all that was left" - translation - "we thought you missed your plane and gave a better room away." Complained about paper and was told "the storm interrupted delivery and we ran out before we got to your floor." Asked if I wanted one then (as I was leaving for work), I said yes and they gave me a used one that the bellman had been reading.

Asked about Sheraton Service Promise and was told "we gave you a newspaper, what else do you want?"

Umm. I'm with the hotel on this one. While I would've been peeved about the lousy room as a Plat, I would've cut them some slack given the significant storm that blew through town -- that was the leading news story that night on cable news over and over for hours. It was a big deal. My guess is that there were huge delays and cancellations and the Sheraton DFW got jammed up real fast with lots of folks who weren't planning to spend the night in Dallas. Yes, you should've had a quality room protected for you as a Plat, but the newspaper thing is not worth mentioning.

It reminds me of a huge flood and subsequent power loss we had here in Maine about 4 or 5 years ago. Truly massive with lots of roads collapsing and folks without power for days. The nearby Hampton Inn reported that that -- even without power or hot water-- only ONE person asked for their "Quality Guarantee" refund. It was cheerfully given to him. Ten minutes later, he came back to the hotel and insisted on paying instead after all. He told the newspaper he would've been a "total jerk" to have blamed any of it on the hotel. My kind of person.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

actually, I have a "corporate file" opened on this property after I made a complaint to Starwood customer service. couldn't even get in touch with the hotel because noone picked up the phone - how pathetic is that?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
I don't see why I should cut them some slack for a poor room. First, they shouldn't have any crappy rooms in the hotel - not at the rates they charge - this isn't a Hampton Inn.

Second in both Hilton and Hyatt, if you request ZipIn (Hilton) or whatever Hyatt calls it, you are booked into a room and they don't change it. I'm sympathetic to those people who were stuck in Dallas. However, the simple fact is - I had a long-standing reservation, they didn't.

There's no reason to give your best customers the short end of the stick - ever.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:20 am

Location: DFW - AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plt Royal Amb., Avis PS, FT Premium!!
Sheraton Grand

I've never had a bad experience here, always upgraded. I would have to stand with them on this one. The storms that blew through here still have about 275,000 without power. I'm really surprised your flight made it in at all. I really don't know what the answer to this one would be, they were probably damned if they did and damded if they didn't. Honestly, with winds up to 95 mph for several hours, I thought everthing was shut down, most of the power was. I'm sorry you didn't get our Texas hospitality, I really am. Personally, I can't wait until the new W opens.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 7:45 pm

Have to agree to a point

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
I don't see why I should cut them some slack for a poor room. First, they shouldn't have any crappy rooms in the hotel - not at the rates they charge - this isn't a Hampton Inn.

Second in both Hilton and Hyatt, if you request ZipIn (Hilton) or whatever Hyatt calls it, you are booked into a room and they don't change it. I'm sympathetic to those people who were stuck in Dallas. However, the simple fact is - I had a long-standing reservation, they didn't.

There's no reason to give your best customers the short end of the stick - ever.
I agree that you need to give the hotel some slack given the circumstances of the storm, but bluehenflyer is right. With a long standing reservation, he had every right to expect a decent room upon arrival. Whenever I know my travel plans will mean not arriving to the hotel until after 6PM, I always indicate so in the request section of the reservation form. At least the hotel knows to expect me late. Almost always, my room will be set up and key waiting for me when I get to the hotel.

That being said, the Sheraton at DFW is hit or miss on a good day. I spent 6-8 weeks straight there in the spring of last year and never got an upgrade and settled for mediocre rooms. They did manage to have a room ready for me at each arrival and the staff addressed me by name when i walked up to the desk!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt

I did a search and found not so great write-ups on it, and they were at least 6 months to a year old, so was hoping someone who had stayed there more recently can provide some comments. Booked there on a cancellable rate just over $90 a night, so can move to another property in Dallas, but would prefer to be close to the airport.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:45 pm

Programs: UAL1K,US Chairman's,wood plat,Marriott plat
I was there in April.

The room were really clean, brandnew furniture,

downside; small room and the ceiling is not very high at all I almost hit my head against the ceiling.

If you are platinum, you have an access to the lounge@9th floor. Great, full American breakfast and great evening snack.

Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.