Search

Upper Deck vs Main Deck

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Upper Deck vs Main Deck

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right area, but would like to find out generally for business class on 747's, are upper deck seats preferred over main deck?

if yes, just wondering why?

Cheers,
K.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:47 am

I don't fly the upper deck much but the upper deck business class seats are preferred. It has the quiet and cozy feel of a small cabin, and you are quite isolated from the noise and people below, unless, of course, you decide to go downstairs. I'm speaking from my one-time experience on the upper deck on UA.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:12 am

The Upper Deck is preferable in my opinion as well. You don't have the inter-cabin traffic of the lower deck and it feels like you are on a private jet. Also,
they usually have additional storage bins beside the window seats, so it makes it much easier to stow and retrieve personal items during the flight without having to get up and open an overhead bin. This may be just personal experience, but I find the service is usually better up there as well (may have something to do with the flight attendant to passenger ratio being better). Try it, you'll like it!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:07 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Definitely the upper deck.... it is much quieter.... and you feel less confined... in my opinion.

Have never had a line to the bathrooms... and I feel you get more attentive service from the attendants.

William
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always felt the upper deck to offer more privacy.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I prefer the upper deck - but will often go downstairs to walk around. It is a bit pokey. Business class in the "nose" is also OK - there is no through traffic.

It is nice having the lockers by the window seats. But, they seem to be quite narrow. Also the overhead lockers are shallower than downstairs. The upshot of all this is that if you have something particularly bulky you might need to store it in a cupboard, whereas downstairs you might still be able to fit it in the locker.

For EVA air pax in C, look out for flights where no F class is sold but they run a 747 with F in the nose. This is certainly preferable to C upstairs. They will normally happily allocate you to an F seat on request at check-in. (Might do this without asking.) On one TPE/SGN flight I had F in the nose to myself whilst several people were upstairs. Food service was C though (as expected).
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Lower Deck,

for sure! LOWER DECK has better food, fresher air, FAR better seats (seats UPSTAIRS are lumpy, broken, uncomfortable) friendlier FA's,better champagne, etc., etc.
Really, LOWER DECK is for you. Honest
(and that leaves the upper deck for ME! ^ )
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:24 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I'd guess that about 3 out of 4 pax prefer the UD. Give it a try.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcutcher
LOWER DECK has better food
Better food in the same business class flight? I find it difficult to believe that those upstairs would be served inferior quality than those downstairs.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:19 pm
gre

...for sure! LOWER DECK has better food, fresher air, FAR better seats (seats UPSTAIRS are lumpy, broken, uncomfortable) friendlier FA's,better champagne, etc., etc.
Really, LOWER DECK is for you. Honest
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Better food in the same business class flight? I find it difficult to believe that those upstairs would be served inferior quality than those downstairs.
You heard the man! And if on UA especially stay away from awful Row 15, and 16 A,B too for that matter!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gre
You heard the man! And if on UA especially stay away from awful Row 15, and 16 A,B too for that matter!
How? I specifically asked about food not seats. How is there a difference in food quality & offering between those upstairs and donwstairs? Those upstairs get a different menu than those downstairs?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Upper deck always. I like the compartments next to the window seats. I agree with previous poster who said that the nose is also ok, especially if you have angled seats which give you more room.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:46 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I believe dcutcher was joking - effectively, I might add.

Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
It's called sarcasm

How? I specifically asked about food not seats. How is there a difference in food quality & offering between those upstairs and donwstairs? Those upstairs get a different menu than those downstairs?
Rejuvated,
They are being sarcastic, for Pete's sake!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:30 pm
gre

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
Rejuvated,
They are being sarcastic, for Pete's sake!
No, no, let me try to explain - if one were to equate the number of joules (vectorizing the ergs of course) with the foot-pounds required to lift the trays to the UD, compensating for the altitude and velocity, it can be clearly seen that the food on the UD will by necessity taste like cr@p in comparison with the food on the LD.

I'm sorry, maybe someone else can explain this better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.