Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

I wish AZ gave me miles for my luggage flights!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver

I have travelled on a AZ YYZ-LCA ticket. Though I came back from that trip on 7/7 to YYZ, and flew back home to DEN, my luggage still has not finished its travels. Here is the story with as accurate information as I have about them.

I flew initially DEN-ATL-YYZ on DL and the next day, embarked for a AZ YYZ-MXP-FCO-LCA trip. Already that part of the trip did not quite go smoothly, as the MXP-FCO trip got cancelled, and I had to go collect my luggage downstairs to re-check it quickly to a AZ MXP-ATH flight to connect to CY ATH-LCA. It took a while for the baggage to come out of the cancelled flight and I had 12 minutes to take my one big suitcase that I had checked in and get it to the AZ MXP-ATH check in, and then run to the gate to get on that flight.

I made it, but of course, given the short time between the drop off of the luggage and the departure of the flight, I did not expect my luggage to follow smoothly to LCA.
Indeed, it did not make it and 3 days later I finally got a call that my suitcase was in LCA.
I had CY keep the suitcase and I picked it up when I took the flight LCA-FCO.

In FCO, I had a stopover and then I took a LX flight FCO-ZRH-BRU. My suitcase followed me all the way to BRU, thank God! A week later, on 7/6, I flew BRU-ZRH-FCO with LX and had them check the baggage all the way to YYZ with a night in FCO. That way I would not have to recover my now heavy suitcase (now filled with Belgian beers ) and an added backpack that I also checked in.
The next day, I got on AZ650 FCO-YYZ without any trouble. But my luggage were nowhere to be seen. So I filed for lost luggage with AZ.... AZ does not have daily flights FCO-YYZ direct, so they told me it would take a few days after I locate my luggage before it will make it to me.

I called a few times in the following week and the only thing I got is that they had located the luggage and it was on its way. Finally, on 7/15, I got a call from YYZ with specific information... They had my backpack, but needed to know which flight I took to leave Canada and confirm the addess. They promissed I would get it within two days, but they did not have the suitcase. Well, the same day, I got a call from JFK telling me that they had my suitcase and asking which airport was closest to me and confirming my address. It will get there within 2 days!!!
Well, two days passed, then 3 days, then I could not reach anyone anywhere....
I finally reached someone at YYZ who told me they'd call me back the same day. No call back... one more day lost. I call the next day (Friday 7/21) again and I get someone who tells me, your bag has been sent back TODAY to FCO because we can't send it directly to the US... I ask, you mean the bagpack? Yes, the backpack... I ask about the suitcase and they tell me they don't know. But they give me the number for the lost and found in JFK. I call JFK and they tell me, after looking in the computer: "tell YYZ your 'bag' just flew AZ650 today to YYZ and they should have it." I call YYZ back but it's too late.
Next day, YYZ calls me and finally I have a very nice and understanging lady who explains to me why bags can't be sent directly to the US, because there is work in terminal 2 and they need to send the bags from terminal 1 to terminal 3 and that is not working right now because of the work in 2. But she says she will deliver the 'bag' in person to AC to be sent to me. She also explains that this procedure had been attempted once but that it came back did not accept the bag, because I was not flying....
OK, I ask "which bag do you have?" and she says "the backpack". I am a bit confused, as I thought it had been sent the day before to FCO... Anyway, I am happy I will get it....

Well today I got a call to deliver my backpack and finally I have it.
Now, here is the evidence of the trips this bag has done.... There were 5 tags from FCO with dates on them and one without a date. The dates are:
7/7, 7/14, 7/16 and 7/21.... So this bag has crossed the Atlantic at least 4 times! Hmmmm 4 times westward means at least 3 times eastward. I think I should get the miles for all those flights!!! 7 times the 4400 and some miles between FCO and YYZ, considering my ticket was in 'D' class and that I am a DL PM, I should get 2.5 times 7 times 4400 miles = 77,000 miles! Don't you think it would be a fair compensation for 2 weeks of delay?

But it's not over!!! I still do not have the suitcase.... I should get miles for that one too!
To be continued.....
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
PS: Is this typical of AZ?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Sorry to hear about this, DeltaFlyingProf. I'm having similar issues with my luggage after my NW flights ex-LCA. Maybe they did notice the fare we paid and decided to keep our luggage?!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I simply wouldn't check any bags. I met2 other FTers on my 2 June trips on the LCA-MXP-YYZ return. On both trips, they checked bags (I didn't) with a forced overnight stop in MXP. Both of them had to wait for their bags as AZ was holdng it at MXP. Who knows what could have happened to your bags overnight.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Aircraft
Landed
In
Tokyo
And
Luggage
In
Atlanta

I understand that ATL would be more convenient for you.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
The only real drama I've ever had with luggage involved AZ...now it wasn't as bad as what you described. I was on iah-cdg CO cdg-fco AZ. The CO flight was late to CDG....was rebooked on a later AZ flight...I arrived but the luggage didn't...4 days later I finally got my luggage--the only reason I got it so quickly was that I went to FCO myself and fished it off of the floor in the luggage claim area....so much for 'we'll deliver it to your hotel'.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:01 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
This is typical of AZ : lost luggage, cancelled flight, overbooked flight without compensation, ...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's typical of the airline industry. I have had forever(more than 3 days) lost luggage with LH, UA, BA, old swiss air, AA, CO, and maybe a few more.

I presume delta has never lost luggage. I don't fly them, as they do not do much out of DC.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G_G
This is typical of AZ : lost luggage, cancelled flight, overbooked flight without compensation, ...
AZ won't survive long with the new EU mandatory compensations then....
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:09 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
But it's not over!!! I still do not have the suitcase.... I should get miles for that one too!
To be continued.....
Any updates?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

I did get my luggage finally, 2 weeks 5 days later....
Several things inside had broken and the baggage had so many tags wrapped on top of each other, I gave up trying to figure out the whole routing it took.
More troublesome is the fact that liquid got in and fungus started growing on clothing... result, bunch of clothes I had to thow out. No amount of washing and bleach helped....
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:14 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
AZ won't survive long with the new EU mandatory compensations then....
They don't pay it !!!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I am currently involved in an AZ luggage drama. It was 2.5 days late going from yyz-fco-lca and on the way back lca-fco-bos(-yyz) lost also by the time I got to Bos....5 days and no word from AZ.

Last edited by Renard; Aug 12, 2006 at 7:01 pm
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by Renard
I am currently involved in an AZ luggage drama. It was 3 days late going from yyz-fco-lca and on the way back lca-fco-bos(-yyz) lost also by the time I got to Bos....5 days and no word from AZ.
Renard... i'm italian... if you need help to contact AZ call center in italy,please feel free to PM me
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Renard and I were on the same flight, and my luggage was lost for 2 1/2 days on the inbound. I believe it's an AZ issue, and not CY. Luggage went LCA-FCO with no problem, luckily, and then FCO-MXP-YYZ. I do believe that the *priority* tags just mean they put them last on the carousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.