Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Book at Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.: Still Receive Hilton Honors Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book at Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.: Still Receive Hilton Honors Points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 9:33 pm

consecutive days booked w/ & w/o "Expedia Rate"

Here's my issue. I am looking to book a room at the Hilton @ DCA. Using a site like washingtondchotels.com I can find a rate of $145/night for Tues & Wed, hilton.com comes up w/ $179 or so.

For Thurs night, the "Expedia Special Rate" is $65/night, while every other site wants $109 or $179... the Expedia rates do not qualify for HH points or FF miles...

so, I guess where I'm going here is if I book (2) separate reservations, is there any way that you'd see them "merge" my stays and make the whole trip ineligable for points/miles... or is there a chance that this would book as 2 stays?

I've actually been lucky and had an Expedia Rate post w/ HH points once... I didn't have the nevre to call them and tell them that the rate they used was off by $7

---
EDIT: OK, this is really beginning to anger me... I used to go thru this nonsense w/ Marriott all the time. I just checked on hilton.com. If I price the stay for 3 days (Tues - Thurs night) the lowest rate is $179, with no mention of a potential rate change. But, if I just look for a room on Thrs night, hilton.com offers $89.

Does anyone else have this type of problem?

[This message has been edited by EWR-COflyer (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Hilton Bookings Through Expedia

I just booked a Hilton reservation through Expedia. It was a super low rate for the New York Hilton that had to be paid in advance. The fine print said hotel points or FF miles MAY not be given. Can I expect to get Hilton points? Also, as a Gold member, can I still expect an upgrade and/or the usual complimentary breakfast? Thanks!

------------------
-Neal-

Where Are My Bonus Miles?
Old Mar 14, 2002, 2:13 pm

I recently had one of those Expedia advance paid stays for the Reno Hilton. I didn't get points from the hotel and I didn't charge anything to the room so I had no invoice to fax to Hilton for the stay credit. So I'd suggest that you make sure you charge something to the room.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 2:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyByMike:
I recently had one of those Expedia advance paid stays for the Reno Hilton. I didn't get points from the hotel and I didn't charge anything to the room so I had no invoice to fax to Hilton for the stay credit. So I'd suggest that you make sure you charge something to the room.</font>
Good advice. Did you get the complimentary breakfast or a room upgrade as you normally would?
Old Mar 14, 2002, 3:19 pm

I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn on an Expedia rate. Room rate was $75 and I didn't charge anything to my room.

After the stay I put in a "missing stay" request on HH.com... it then posted it as a $61 folio.

I didn't have the audacity to call and argue the $14 difference...
Old Mar 14, 2002, 3:34 pm

In most cases, expedia.com and priceline.com are selling Wholesale Rooms that do not qualify for points. EWR-COflyer may have found a way around this though!

However, if you have a Hilton Membership level that is high enough to get you automatic upgrades or amenities, the hotel should still honor that.

Nick.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 7:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Neal:
Good advice. Did you get the complimentary breakfast or a room upgrade as you normally would?</font>
"We don't do that at this hotel" regarding breakfast (it's a Park Place property) but I did get a big room. Checked in at 1am and left by noon so not a big deal. I had forgotten that you could do a missing stay online so I'll have to try that.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 5:41 am

Travelocity pre-paid counts?

Does travelocity pre-paid count for

1. Points?
2. Stay credit?
3. 50k promo?

Any experiences here?
Old Jun 26, 2002, 7:13 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by venk:
Does travelocity pre-paid count for

1. Points?
2. Stay credit?
3. 50k promo?

Any experiences here?
</font>
My experience is with other, similar programs (HotelDiscount.com and Priceline). I don't see any reason that they should differ across programs

1. Only if there are incidentals charged to the room (and note that some Hamptons have room service provided by an outside restaurant. Apparently this doen't earn points either). The amount you prepay to the booking agent for the room doesn't earn points.
2. Yes, in my experience.
3. No experience. Someone else says that Priceline doesn't count here.

Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:41 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
My official letter from Hilton stated that prepaid Travelocity stays (at least at a Camino Real) do not count as stay credit, incidentals do not count and points do not get posted.

Implied that I should have known better. What actually happened is that they posted the incidentals for the prepaid stay, but did not post a subsequent stay booked and paid to the hotel. Eventually took back the incidental points and posted the paid to the hotel stay. They emphatically pointed out that Travelocity prepaid do not count.
Old Jul 5, 2002, 9:22 am

Booking on Hiltom.com vs. expedia, travelocity etal

I was looking to book at the HHV in August. The dates that I put into the hilton.com site came back with "no rooms available."
A check of expedia, travelocity and some other sites, showed rooms for immediate booking.
I was under the impression that the booking sites acted like an agent, taking a commission, and booking from an available pool of rooms. Would they have a different pool than Hilton? OR, do they buy (guarantee) the rooms from Hilton, and then turn around and sell for whatever the market will bear?
Old Jul 5, 2002, 1:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jakester:
do they buy (guarantee) the rooms from Hilton, and then turn around and sell for whatever the market will bear?</font>
Yep, you got it right. Certain travel consolidators buy inventory from hotels with huge volume discounts and then sell it for profit.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 6:21 pm

Has anyone ever gotten points for a Travelocity Goodbuy rate?

Do you get points for meal purchases, if staying on such a rate?
Old Nov 17, 2002, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
I think the whole theory behind this is that Hilton doesn't reward points where there is no show of loyalty. In this case, purchasing hotel room/airline seats on Expedia, et al. where the buyer doesn't know the servicer brand name until after the purchase isn't really a sign of loyalty because the buyer doesn't choose who the service provider is...only that they selected a low price for a particular service.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 9:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardB0777:
I think the whole theory behind this is that Hilton doesn't reward points where there is no show of loyalty. In this case, purchasing hotel room/airline seats on Expedia, et al. where the buyer doesn't know the servicer brand name until after the purchase isn't really a sign of loyalty because the buyer doesn't choose who the service provider is...only that they selected a low price for a particular service.</font>
That certainly makes sense for Priceline or Hotwire - but on Expedia and Travelocity you do see the hotel name and can make that decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.