Search

Honey 1 BBQ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Honey 1 BBQ

So, Mrs. Milepig and I had takeout from Honey 1 last night. Quick review - our quest for decent Ribs in Chicago continues. I had very high hopes for this place, but they fell far short.

I'm not wedded to any particular type of ribs, so I don't think this was a style issue. The sauce was very tasty, but couldn't help ribs that were just plain overcooked - we're talking dried out shoe leather here. The other problem I had was that the ribs weren't properly prepared before cooking - all the little bits that a good butcher would have taken off were left on. Not pleasant.

A great disappointment.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:48 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
I'm not wedded to any particular type of ribs, so I don't think this was a style issue. The sauce was very tasty, but couldn't help ribs that were just plain overcooked - we're talking dried out shoe leather here. The other problem I had was that the ribs weren't properly prepared before cooking - all the little bits that a good butcher would have taken off were left on. Not pleasant.

A great disappointment.
Honey 1 has been mentioned a few times in the Chicago BBQ thread.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...&highlight=BBQ

One tip (no pun) is that Chicago ribs are not where it's at for BBQ, it is Rib TIPS ^

However after reading your last sentence maybe rib tips are not your bag as they are not as easy to eat as the ribs themselves.

Since their move from the west side, I think Honey 1's quality varies quite a bit.

--
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
However after reading your last sentence maybe rib tips are not your bag as they are not as easy to eat as the ribs themselves.
Actually, rib tips aren't the issue here - I'm talking about stuff like that thin flat tough piece of meat that, in my opinion, should be removed. Also, one part of the ribs had a big hunk-o-meat on top of the ribs - big enough to fill a hamburger bun - what's that all about! I like barbequed bits, rib tibs, etc. just not on the slab of ribs.

I will actually go back and try the pulled pork sandwich, the description sounds like authentic North Carolina with the slaw on the sandwich.

We were concerned when the restaurant was empty, save for one person waiting for a pickup, at 6:30 on a Saturday evening.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:09 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
We were concerned when the restaurant was empty, save for one person waiting for a pickup, at 6:30 on a Saturday evening.
may be a sign of the quality sliding as that would NEVER happen at their other location, I'd go on a weekday on an off hour to make sure it was not busy but also to make sure I was getting heavily smoked items, sometimes with the rush that these places experience at a busy time, they don't let items smoke for as long as they should.

Did you notice if an older gentleman was there or the younger kids?
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
may be a sign of the quality sliding as that would NEVER happen at their other location, I'd go on a weekday on an off hour to make sure it was not busy but also to make sure I was getting heavily smoked items, sometimes with the rush that these places experience at a busy time, they don't let items smoke for as long as they should.

Did you notice if an older gentleman was there or the younger kids?
It was the younger kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.