Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing F class on *A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Comparing F class on *A

Anyone with experience in F class want to take a stab at comparing / ranking F class across *A airlines. I'm most interested in finding out the heirarchy between *A across the Atlantic (LH, UA, AC, US, TAP, SK, LX, etc).

Perhaps one of our F class gurus can start us off. Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Anyone with experience in F class want to take a stab at comparing / ranking F class across *A airlines. I'm most interested in finding out the heirarchy between *A across the Atlantic (LH, UA, AC, US, TAP, SK, LX, etc).

Perhaps one of our F class gurus can start us off. Thanks
Definitely one winner: SQ.... even if they have only 1 daily flight over that ocean...
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by paffendorf
Definitely one winner: SQ.... even if they have only 1 daily flight over that ocean...
not so definitely i think, LH is unbeatable on the ground in FRA and their service in the air is really really good... if find SQ's FA's a little too robotic even though they always deliver a excelent service... whatever you do just stay away from UA
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Not all *A airlines have first class - see *A first class routes thread.

All the *A airlines that fly trans-atlantic (not ranked, and not excluding those that have no F).
AC
BD
LH
LO
LX
NZ
OS
SK
SQ
TP
UA
US

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 7, 2006 at 8:40 pm Reason: clarify
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
*A airlines that fly trans-atlantic
AC
BD
LH
LO
LX
NZ
OS
SK
SQ
TP
UA
US
I was shocked to see AC at the top of your list until I realized you just listed all the airlines alphabetically. I guess the OP didn't really specify the criteria for ranking...
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sorry for the confusion. I was just listing *A airlines since the OP didn't have a complete list. My ranking would be very different
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Not all *A airlines have first class - see *A first class routes thread.

All the *A airlines that fly trans-atlantic (not ranked, and not excluding those that have no F).
AC
BD
LH
LO
LX
NZ
OS
SK
SQ
TP
UA
US
Maybe a bit more pertinent to the OP's query would be to exclude those that have no F, which shortens the list considerably.
LH
LX
SQ
UA

cheers,

Henry
Old Aug 7, 2006, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Only LH, LX, UA and SQ offer F over the Atlantic.

UA is quite inferior, and SQ only has one single short flight in a 744 between FRA-JFK.

So other than to JFK or the East Coast, the realistic choice is beween LH and LX. LX has reportedly the more comfortable seat to sleep in, but they don't provide pajamas or caviar service. LX ground service in ZRH is marginal compared to LH in FRA, and LX has been reported to hassle pax with heavy carry-ons, even F pax with *G status. However, it's hard to tell if these were isolated incidents.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by henry999
Maybe a bit more pertinent to the OP's query would be to exclude those that have no F, which shortens the list considerably.
LH
LX
SQ
UA
Ranking-wise, I'd put UA dead last; and I have not yet flown LX F.

Between SQ and LH: IME, the onboard product on SQ is a fair amount better on the 'hard' side (seat, IFE) and marginally better or equal on the 'soft' side (catering, beverage, service). Ground services (particularly in FRA) are definitely better on LH.

Another point is that SQ only serves one route (JFK-FRA), unlike the other carriers that serve more U.S. markets.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:12 pm

I would rank them in the following order (for me the first priority is the ability to sleep and relax, second is ground handling/boarding and third is service and food):
1. SQ on 747 - F is in the nose of the 747, less people walking by. Good food, fairly good privacy when travelling alone. Comfortable for sleeping. Quiet.
2. LH on Airbus: singe seats are great when travelling alone, despite missing privacy screens. F Terminal in FRA
3. LH on 747: seats are only good when travelling with somebody. F Terminal is great.
4. LX: good food and service, good seats.
and very distant
5. UA: small seats, mediocre food, bad service
6. SQ on 777: F is a joke

Asking for all airlines where i have experienced F the ranking would be:
1. ANA new seats on 747: In the nose, only 10 seats, lots of space, quiet, great service
2. SQ on 747
3. LH on Airbus
4. TG with new F. Great seats, good service.
5. LH on 747
6. LX
7. UA
8. Asiana
9. SQ on 777
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Great information - thanks all!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:31 am

Intersting thread. I have an open RTW F ticket traveling west from sfo finishing at cph. My initial impression was to travel on sq.

My history has been one of 1p, but I believe that I can reach 1k this year but the ua eqm's might be required to do so.

With that background, I currently have booked sfo-sin F and sin-cph C (no F) to conclude my rtw.

Any thoughts? Thanks to the tremendous FT community for their inputs.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:34 am

[QUOTE=#10]I currently have booked sfo-sin F and sin-cph C (no F) to conclude my rtw.

On SQ.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by #10
I currently have booked sfo-sin F and sin-cph C (no F) to conclude my rtw.

On SQ.
Why don't you take SIN-BKK on SQ in F, and BKK-ZRH on TG in F on their new A340-600 aircraft, and then connecting to SK or LX shorthaul to CPH in C?

Much better usage than to 'waste' a long haul sector in C when there are other sectors in F... ie SIN-FRA/CDG/LHR/ZRH, or TG or LX or LH.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:53 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by #10
...I currently have booked sfo-sin F and sin-cph C (no F) to conclude my rtw.

Any thoughts?
What about SIN-FRA on SQ in F?

cheers,

Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.