Search

Update on DL First Class Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 9:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Update on DL First Class Meal Service

I haven't flown a DL domestic segment in almost six weeks. All my recent travel has been on DL, AM and VS Int'l routes. So I'm not up to speed on DL's "new and improved" meal service on domestic routes.
I've now got domestic itineraries booked on DL nearly every week for the next two months. Just curious as to what, if anything, DL is offering in the front cabin nowadays. From what I gather in various comments on this forum, it's little or nothing.
Most of my upcoming flights are transcon with connections through SLC, CVG and ATL. Also have a couple LAX/OGG flights coming up.
I've never been a big fan of airline meals but Ms. Cholula is joining me on several flights. She flies very infrequently and thinks B/E meals are "fun". I told her I think most meals have disappeared and she thinks I'm pulling her leg.
Can anybody fill me in on their inflight gastronomical experiences recently??
Thanks.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:53 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
I haven't flown a DL domestic segment in almost six weeks. </font>
Don't fret big guy. No one has eaten on a domestic Delta flight in longer than six weeks.

Old May 12, 2003, 10:56 pm

Your and the Mrs. will get nothing hot unless the route competes with JetBlue or a select group of other rivals on specific routes.

No more omelets. Cereal on the breakfast runs. It's veritable flying granary.

Lunch is usually a salad or some kind of wrap. A brownie tops it off.

Dinner is also a fairly enjoyable salad bowl with chicken but no more linen placemat or metal cutlery. Wine choice is negligible..whatever red and white is catered that run.

The FA's remain committed as ever to making you comfortable and happy and though they have less work to do, freely acknowledge the cutbacks bother them, too. That's been my experience.

The wrap is the worst of the offerings, by the way.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Try to grab some sample-sizes of a tasty hot sauce. It is guaranteed to make anything offered in FC taste better. IMHO, if a really good hot sauce was included in the "Blue Bag", even Y pax would be happier. Perhaps, Delta should spend a few more dollars on condiments and less on that ridiculous "home" ad campaign.
Old May 13, 2003, 6:54 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LegalTender:
Your and the Mrs. will get nothing hot unless the route competes with JetBlue or a select group of other rivals on specific routes.

No more omelets. Cereal on the breakfast runs. It's veritable flying granary.

Lunch is usually a salad or some kind of wrap. A brownie tops it off.

Dinner is also a fairly enjoyable salad bowl with chicken but no more linen placemat or metal cutlery. Wine choice is negligible..whatever red and white is catered that run.

The FA's remain committed as ever to making you comfortable and happy and though they have less work to do, freely acknowledge the cutbacks bother them, too. That's been my experience.

The wrap is the worst of the offerings, by the way.
</font>
LegalTender...Thanks for the input. Sounds like slim pickings indeed. Ms. Cholula is going to have to suck it up, get a grip and deal with it like the rest of us. I'll position this to her as DL's answer to Weight Watchers.
O2K....I'm going to HAVE to bring my own hot sauce because DL was never a customer of mine . My best airline customer is and has been CO. They continue to buy our 3/8 oz. packets by the thousands of cases. Guess I'll be throwing a little business their way as well in the future.

Old May 13, 2003, 8:49 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
DL 940, AUS-CVG I flew on March 8. It had a full hot lunch meal service in F, complete with linens and metal flatware (save the plastic knife). I flew DL 940 in F on May 11. The full meal had been reduced to a hot sandwich (turkey) on thick italian bread with a few tomatoes and cukes on the side, serviced with salad dressing and salt & pepper. The linens were replaced with what appeared to be disposeable tablecloths (with the consistency of cheesecloth) and flatware was all plastic. Drinks continued to be served from glass, and the sandwich was served on porcelain.
Old May 13, 2003, 9:13 am

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Don't forget the salt and pepper shakers have disappeared too. Just the little paper packets.
Old May 13, 2003, 12:09 pm

I'm not sure which city pairs you need to link on your 'transcon', but I just flew JFK-SEA-JFK this past weekend, and the outbound (in F) offered a choice of omlet, french toast, or cereal. The return dinner flight offered Lamb, Chicken or some sort of pasta thing. All with (paper) linens, etc. Oh...and the venerable ice cream sundays after dinner on the return .
Old May 13, 2003, 10:07 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Just got back from a SLC-CVG trip this evening. Paper napkins, paper table cloth, paper "S&P shaker" (I swear there were no more than 50 ground pepper corns barely covering the cornert of the paper thingee!), all plastic utensils!! Chicken salad (which actually was no different than before - cold but OK). Dry bread sticks instead of a roll and a wrapped cake/brownie of some sort for "desert". Same "menu" both ways (separated by one day).

It's been about 2 months since my last "meal run" - so certainly yet a further downgrading (and why do I think it may not be the last?)
Old May 13, 2003, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

"Thanks" folks! This is getting more depressing by the minute. But, as Flying_Duck states, it could still get worse. Nobody has seen paper plates yet, have they??
Old May 13, 2003, 10:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying_Duck:
Just got back from a SLC-CVG trip this evening. Paper napkins, paper table cloth, paper "S&P shaker" (I swear there were no more than 50 ground pepper corns barely covering the cornert of the paper thingee!), all plastic utensils!! Chicken salad (which actually was no different than before - cold but OK). Dry bread sticks instead of a roll and a wrapped cake/brownie of some sort for "desert". Same "menu" both ways

(separated by one day).

The question I would ask is this... Given your recent experience, what is the value of an upgraded fare?

It's been about 2 months since my last "meal run" - so certainly yet a further downgrading (and why do I think it may not be the last?)
</font>
Old May 13, 2003, 11:24 pm

Sorry. The UBB got a bit screwed up tonight. The point I was trying to make is why some of us are bothering to get and pay for upgradable fares, when there is nothing to upgrade to... a couple of inches of legroom, a couple of cocktails. If you want decent food, fly BE-- Flying F--bring your own food and enjoy the legroom, the cocktails and pre-boarding.

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 05-14-2003).]
Old May 14, 2003, 12:14 pm

re paper plates....Please don't give Delta any new cost cutting ideas!
Paper plates might taste better than the vile sat fat mega muffin I was treated to on B/E last week from SFO/ATL..yuk..my arteries started to clog looking at the thing...the corn chex were ok.....and I so enjoyed the filthy, well used little pillow they supplied for snoozing......
Old May 14, 2003, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to FT, dede pittman! Sorry about your arteries . You haven't given me too much hope but I appreciate the heads up. Look forward to your future posts on this forum....
Old May 14, 2003, 10:36 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dede pittman:
....and I so enjoyed the filthy, well used little pillow they supplied for snoozing......</font>
Welcome dede pittman:
I hope you didn't actually use that little pillow. You might want to check out this thread....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/010040.html

[This message has been edited by yknot (edited 05-14-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.