Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much progress do you see Space Tourism making in the next decade or two?

Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always wanted to go into space. With Virgin Galactic launching in the next year or so it makes you wonder where the industry could go. Do you see a space hotel in the next 25 years or so? Or do you think the industry will fail to takeoff? I'm curious to hear opinions.

Personally, I think progess could be slow, but suborbital flights I hope will be affordable in a decade or so.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always wanted to go into space. With Virgin Galactic launching in the next year or so it makes you wonder where the industry could go. Do you see a space hotel in the next 25 years or so? Or do you think the industry will fail to takeoff? I'm curious to hear opinions.

Personally, I think progess could be slow, but suborbital flights I hope will be affordable in a decade or so.

It's lamentably slow. I am old enough to remember the Apollo program. It was an exciting time. Things seem to have slowed down since then.

There will be some kind of space tourism, but I have idea when the day will come where someone can plonck down, say, $20k for a trip to space. I thought I'd see it in my lifetime; I don't think so! <sigh>
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA , AA
To bad they let the last space hotel (MIR Space Station) burn up. You could argue the current space program is already doing this at top tax payer dollar. As far as something affordable in our lifetime. Probably if you are a millionare. Worse case scenario, sending your ashes into space is relatively affordable.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Awal
To bad they let the last space hotel (MIR Space Station) burn up. You could argue the current space program is already doing this at top tax payer dollar. As far as something affordable in our lifetime. Probably if you are a millionare. Worse case scenario, sending your ashes into space is relatively affordable.
That's true, but unless the Virgin Galactic ship explodes on it's maiden flight or something, I at least forsee that spaceline sticking around. It's 200,000 right now, I can't imagine, unless the company goes under, it would stay that way or get more expensive in the next 25-50 years.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Well, whenever Lance Bass or his partner Reichen need some more press coverage, they may try and go to space again.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
I dont see any thing happening for at lest 30 years. For the ultra rich maybe its achievable but for the rest of us I dont think we will be able to enjoy the view from space.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack
It's 200,000 right now, I can't imagine, unless the company goes under, it would stay that way or get more expensive in the next 25-50 years.
If I remember correctly you can also trade in 2 million Flying club points.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:08 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
None. Despite the fact that we New Mexicans will be taxed up the wazoo for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.