Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If liquid/gel ban stays - Hotels could provide toothpaste, Hair gel, contact solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If liquid/gel ban stays - Hotels could provide toothpaste, Hair gel, contact solution

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA

I'm trying to figure out how I will travel without checking a bag if the (IMHO Stupid) policy banning all liquids and gels.

If the ban on liquids and gels sticks for more than a few days, I think we as frequent travelers should be proactive in encouraging our favorite hotels to begin stocking rooms with complementary travel sized items including:

Toothpaste
Hair Gel
Solution for contact lens
Bottled water
Shaving gel/cream

What am I missing? What are your thoughts on this?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:47 am

Programs: DLGM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MKEbound
I'm trying to figure out how I will travel without checking a bag if the (IMHO Stupid) policy banning all liquids and gels.

If the ban on liquids and gels sticks for more than a few days, I think we as frequent travelers should be proactive in encouraging our favorite hotels to begin stocking rooms with complementary travel sized items including:

Toothpaste
Hair Gel
Bottled water
Shaving gel/cream

Isn't the simplest solution to stop whining and just bite the bullet and check our bag?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG
In addition, I'll need to start ringing the FA call button every 15-20 minutes to ask for water. I usually bring my own on board, and am incredibly annoyed that this is no longer possible. I suppose I'll be able to purchase $2/8oz. "secure" water in the airport. Our technology should be able to handle this anyway. Why is baby formula, kid juice, and robitussin any less dangerous than contact lens solution. What about those of us on short trips who can't check a bag?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ProntoPup
Isn't the simplest solution to stop whining and just bite the bullet and check our bag?
Whining? You must be kidding, right? After waiting for almost 3 days for my YYZ-LCA luggage to show up, I should be excited about checking stuff in, and waiting 30, 45 or sometimes even 90 minutes for my luggage?

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Actually it's not really "whining". I always carry on my immediate toiletries (contact lens solution, sometimes other items) and a change of clothes when I'm checking bags. If a bag goes missing, it can take days to get it back, and in many places you cannot buy the right kind of replacement. Toothpaste is one thing -- you can use a local brand. But contact lens solution may be specific to a particular type of lenses, and I'd not assume that was available at the destination, particularly overseas.

And, checking a bag is fine, even for laptops, EXCEPT when your laptop bag is un-padded and not meant to protect the computer. If this were made a permanent rule, people would likely get double-walled, padded bags for computers, but even then I'd hesitate before checking a $3000 laptop. Maybe the solution is to put apps and data on a big USB key, but right now even that is prohibited.

I'm all for being safe, but there are some realities that we'll all have to learn how to accommodate if these measures are in place for a while.

Someone on the BA thread theorized that this would put the terminal shops out of business, but they could just turn it around - instead of buying stuff to take on the plane, you buy your stuff on arrival.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Hmmmmm.... Can you imagine what it is GOING to be like WHEN the airlines are all charging for drinks?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak

Toothpaste
Hair Gel
Bottled water
Shaving gel/cream
I rarely stay in hotels, but when I do, all those items except contact lens solution already seem to be available, either supplied in the bathroom or upon request.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club

Toothpaste
Hair Gel
Bottled water
Shaving gel/cream

Roll on deodorant is the one that comes to mind
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by Lehava
Roll on deodorant is the one that comes to mind
Yeah! The hotel could just keep a stick of deoderant at the front desk and when you need it you can check it out with a deposit, then check it back in and get your deposit back! Next guy could do the same.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
Hmmmmm.... Can you imagine what it is GOING to be like WHEN the airlines are all charging for drinks?
I will do a symbolic protest by not flying for 2 weeks, and make my action known to TSA and the airlines.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:09 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Doctors write prescriptions for over-the-counter products too. I'm thinking I'm going to ask for a prescription for my eye drops and for my son's contact lens solution.

There are single-use toothbrushes pre-treated with toothpaste: http://www.dentakit.com/prdito.html

A lot of hotels do already stock basic things such as toothpaste. You usually just have to call housekeeping if it's not in your room.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
But everyone uses different contact lens solution and you cannot just change from one day to another. This is going to be a nightmare! I am a girl! I need my stuff!!! No problem checking my bag- but having to wait 45 minutes every Sunday at Lga is going to be a major problem.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by ProntoPup
I haven't checked a bag in over 20 years and I'm not about to start now I'm on a CO flight tonite EWR-FCO and just went through my roller carry on and removed a bunch of travel sized bottles. I figure my hotel will have shampoo/conditioner and I can pick up a small moisturizer, deodorant & hair spray at a local chemists in Florence. I'm returning on Sunday and I'm more concerned about not being able to bring back bottles of wine than in what I can bring in!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Whining? You must be kidding, right? After waiting for almost 3 days for my YYZ-LCA luggage to show up, I should be excited about checking stuff in, and waiting 30, 45 or sometimes even 90 minutes for my luggage?
Hear, Hear. The last time I checked a bag, it was on a direct flight between DEN and ORD. No issues about bag transfers at a connection - and I arrived at the ticket counter more than an hour before the flight. And that wasn't the worst of it - UA had like 4 more flights going DEN to ORD after mine that same day, and couldn't get my checked bag on any of them. UA finally delivered the bag to the hotel after I had to check out - I had to come back by the hotel after my meeting to pick it up on the way back to the airport.

The time before that, I was travelling on AA thru DFW to PNS, and the RJ my family and I were on was weight-restricted out of DFW. At least AA managed to get the bags on the next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.