Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rate Gone] london for 1 GBP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
It seems that people are awfully nervous about this offer. Given that this is not a mistake room rate, I have no concern at all that it will be honored. The rate was advertised directly by the hotel, I made my reservation directly through the hotel's website, and I received an email confirmation of my booking, so I see no reason to worry about it.
Ah, but did you buy more than one?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
My confirmation email for my only night October 25-26 for 1 GBP finally arrived today. At the top of the page, it says "Confirmation Number: xxxxxxxxxxx (Reservation Modified)" I never made any changes, so this is curious but unimportant.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
theyve changed it. taking away the WWW- prefix.
will check in in around 12 hours. should i be the first one there and see if therez any goodies for being the first?:P
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
Well, I’ll be there then, and on the 6th.
I did say I'll be there tonight.

But I'll be arriving in the evening, after work.

It's very likely that you'll be the first FTer to check in.

My reservations were 'modified' in the same way too. Including the £29 one.

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 1, 2006 at 12:52 am
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
My confirmation email for my only night October 25-26 for 1 GBP finally arrived today. At the top of the page, it says "Confirmation Number: xxxxxxxxxxx (Reservation Modified)" I never made any changes, so this is curious but unimportant.
Exactly the same happened to me too. At least I now have an email confirmation. Even though it says modified everything is as I booked it.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:07 am
Suspended

That’s OK, it seems consistent with what I’ve seen. (£1 bookings have been processed - £29 bookings are in the system, still pending).

kaka – just don’t expect an extra breakfast for your ‘guest’.
sounds fine to them in the FAQ.
and apparently its a yogurt pot, orange juice, and a banana.
I still havent checked in yet. and i dont seem to be free till evening. Abuse their WiFi so we know whoz first.

So tired, just flew in from AMS after a big hassle on the plane with someone being 30 mins late.

ps. i meant literally the first, as in at 1400 or even earlier. but its too late now i guess
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Exactly the same happened to me too. At least I now have an email confirmation. Even though it says modified everything is as I booked it.
I got two of these yesterday for a single booking. Nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a quickie to report- (EDIT: not a quickie at all anymore!)
Checked in a few hours ago. Check in was smooth and very pleasant - my rate was commented on. I was told the system could barely cope with the avalanche of bookings and the 1GBP rooms sold out within half an hour.

Considering I was at the Westin in Warsaw last weekend and have had a one night stay at an Executive room at the Sheraton Skyline since then, this hotel is standing up pretty well. The bed doesn't have that little extra heavenliness or sweetness, but it's pretty good, and the cotton on the sheets is nicer than that of the Sheraton.

Ameneties are minimal but well chosen - 2 small bottles of combined shampoo & conditioner from 'the white company' (I guess they do the bed linen too - nope, see next post)
http://www.thewhitecompany.com/
And a full bar of 'pears' soap.

Towels are wonderfully soft and fluffy right now.

There's a lovely ottoman with a great texture that serves as a sofa. The desk chair is comfortable, and there are some other nice touches that I'll not mention.

One thing though. It seems there are two kinds of room layouts. In most of them, watching TV from the bed isn't really an option (EDIT - The TV in the second room I've stayed in swivels round quite a bit more than the first one did... you can watch TV from the bed but at a 45degree angle). You might have better luck in rooms ending 01, 02, 28, 38 & 40 where the bed faces across the room rather than towards the window (this is for floors 2 & 3 - layouts aren't mirrored on floor 1)

Odd numbered rooms 201 to 225 face the studios and workshops on Willow Street and there are no net curtains, so anyone after privacy would need to get onto the 3rd floor or higher.

If you can't bring a laptop you can use the keyboard in the desk's second drawer - there's a 5GBP fee, and it includes unlimited viewing of all the films for 24 hours-or check out (don't get excited though, film choice is good for children and there's loads of unappealing X rated stuff. There's no access to Film 4).

WARNING FOR THOSE WHO ARE BROKE!!!
The keyboard, kettle and hairdrier seem very knickable, so it's not surprising they take 50GBP from your credit card as a deposit. Something I'm not use to in Europe - I've only had money borrowed from me like this in Las Vegas. The £50 deposit is supposed to be returned after 3 days.

There is a downside and that's that the shower in my room doesn't drain well, and the secondary shower wand (which should have been a nice addition to the fixed 'monsoon' shower head) won't work. I'll report these problems in the morning - they have a card on the desk inviting you to do this.

Unlike the Travelodges, there is airconditioning ^ . There's a thermostat, and it can be turned off too.

Also to add:
Rooms that face the courtyard can get a bit noisy in the evening. The quietest rooms are probably those that face Willow Street - odd numbered rooms from x01 to x25. I'm in 104 right now and I can see what everyone is eating in the Grill (x24 is the furthest 'inside' room from the courtyard and I'd guess it's a bit quieter there than where we are)

Privacy really is an issue here - if you want to move around your room AND get some daylight, bring some kind of dressing gown with you!

Best views?
x19 to x25 on floor 3, probably the same for floor 4, and I'd guess any of the rooms numbered 1 to 25 on floors 5 and above. All these being the odd numbered ones that face Willow Street. These give views to the NatWest tower (AKA Tower 42) and a partial view of St Mary Le Axe (AKA The Gherkin).. and a few cranes for that 'urban' touch.

Also add: drainage seems to be a problem in all the rooms, but the shower wand not working and TV not tilting round properly was particular to one room only so far. When the wand does work it's spectacularly powerful - however, you'll probably need to moderate the flow to avoid water flooding into the rest of the bathroom.

Oh yes, the shampoo is great! I've been using it for 3 days and my hair looks and feels wonderful! It's a shame you can only seem to buy it here: http://www.pacificdirect.co.uk/en/co...e_company.html (I actually prefer it to the Molton Brown shampoo I've been given recently )

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 3, 2006 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 2, 2006, 3:55 am
Suspended

haha. report#2 from me....
1st, any logical travellers would indicate the number of breakfast and the time. I did make myself look like an idiot not filling it out and was bemused to not have a breakfast.
2nd, as for the tv, the tv rack can move around as my bed is facing the window. not the best angle to watch tv but it is not as bad as LapLap means i think.
and yea. I had a 5 pounds coupon when i check in for the restaurant. well, im getting paid to stay in the hotel:S

I would say this breakie they give is better than a lot of free breakie. at least i dont have to walk around the restaurant and feeling bad either way, stuffing myself full or not.

just fyi, I was in rm 424, overlooking some flats (with curtains in my room). not a bad room but was a LONG walk...

Last edited by kaka; Sep 2, 2006 at 4:02 am
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:31 am
Original Poster

More from 'The Guardian'
Today (2nd September 2006) newspaper speaks about Hoxton hotel.
The journalist tell us his first thoughs about the hotel.
Maybe this could add something extra to Forum members reviews.

Here is the link
http://travel.guardian.co.uk/hotels/...862884,00.html

PS: According to the article, linen is doing by Frette...
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:04 pm
Suspended

hey laplap, have you got the coupon?
I'm just wondering cuz my coupon is number 007 and ive checked in at around 2300... so hopefully there wasnt only 7 rooms that's been occupied. And from the breakfast cart Ive seen I really dont think everyone had a coupon. Who did they give????
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
hey laplap, have you got the coupon?
I'm just wondering cuz my coupon is number 007 and ive checked in at around 2300... so hopefully there wasnt only 7 rooms that's been occupied. And from the breakfast cart Ive seen I really dont think everyone had a coupon. Who did they give????
Not to me or MrLapLap - so congratulations! The free breakfast has suited us just fine. Exactly the kind of thing we'd choose to eat, and the policy of providing fresh milk makes a world of difference to the teas and coffees you can actually ENJOY in the room. There's peppermint tea too, which is a welcome touch - it's just a shame they only give four sachets of sugar (there's enough for about 8 cups of tea/coffee - but the sugar only sweetens 2 of those if you have a sweet tooth).

The room I had yesterday overlooked the restaurant and there weren't too many people in there this morning (apart from 'eggs benedict' I have to admit there wasn't much that appealed to me either - I think you need to be a bit of a carnivore to appreciate 'The Grill').
Further down Great Eastern Street (number 42) there's 'Apostrophe' which is a wonderful place for brunch - gets very full at 12am and again at 1pm even on weekends.
http://www.apostropheuk.com/ - bon apetit!
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:29 pm
Suspended

i know! the breakfast was just great.
But just a note....if you were to grab the breafast and run, make sure you'v got a spoon with you. I had to carry the yogurt pot and look for sth to spoon it!

I was in such hurry i've forgotten about the tea!!! but laplap, i can give you my sugar
Old Sep 29, 2006, 5:48 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
WARNING FOR THOSE WHO ARE BROKE!!!
The keyboard, kettle and hairdrier seem very knickable, so it's not surprising they take 50GBP from your credit card as a deposit. Something I'm not use to in Europe - I've only had money borrowed from me like this in Las Vegas. The £50 deposit is supposed to be returned after 3 days.
Anyone else been to the Hoxton recently and not been charged the deposit? Or had it waived? Does seem inconvenient for a one night stay since your credit card will already be on record in case of damage. Besides this will add an extra 50 pence to my cost when Visa/MC takes their 1% currency exchange fee.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm staying in 2 weeks and still haven't been charged my £2 (for 2 rooms), although I did get a confirmation email. Is this normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.