Wiki Posts
Search

More TSA stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
More TSA stupidity

Yesterday at the airport one of the managers had her Dr. School's taken by these morons at the TSA. This is something that was in her shoes that help her walk.(Maybe you folks know better thaan me) Anyway she was mad & ask for a manager who backed up the employee.
Thanks to their stupidity this lady was unable to work & had to go home.
Folks, where is the sense in this ? When will this stuff stop ? Now employees can't even go to work.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Yesterday at the airport one of the managers had her Dr. School's taken by these morons at the TSA.
Dr. Scholl's, perhaps? You shouldn't be surpised if stupidity abounds in the TSA checkpoints. Next, we'll hear that they need another 20 billion to "protect" us.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Dr. Scholl's, perhaps? You shouldn't be surpised if stupidity abounds in the TSA checkpoints. Next, we'll hear that they need another 20 billion to "protect" us.
Thanks for correcting the spelling..it is scarey to think what may be next.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Can't believe how busy this forum has become. On second thought, guess I can.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:22 pm

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Can't believe how busy this forum has become. On second thought, guess I can.
I used to lurk around this forum and be amazed at how little activity it had...the moderator must be having fun now.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think about this stark reality for a moment: We now are all going to have to overload an already terribly broken health care system here in the US to take up a doctor's time to write us a prescription for some innocuous liquid just so we can take it on an airplane. While taking time to write us a needless prescription, that's all the less time said doctor will spend with real patients with real medical problems.

The judge and jury over the appropriateness of said prescription will be someone with perhaps a high school diploma or equivalent and a "working knowledge of English" who, just a week ago, was having a difficult time judging the thickness of a shoe's sole.

Congratulations, Osama. You've done it again -- this time without causing one drop of anybody's blood to be shed.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:25 pm

I heard on the news that gel insoles are now on the official banned list.

I think mandatory checks for padded bras and implants should be next. Only natural breasts will be allowed next.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Think about this stark reality for a moment: We now are all going to have to overload an already terribly broken health care system here in the US to take up a doctor's time to write us a prescription for some innocuous liquid just so we can take it on an airplane. While taking time to write us a needless prescription, that's all the less time said doctor will spend with real patients with real medical problems.

The judge and jury over the appropriateness of said prescription will be someone with perhaps a high school diploma or equivalent and a "working knowledge of English" who, just a week ago, was having a difficult time judging the thickness of a shoe's sole.

Congratulations, Osama. You've done it again -- this time without causing one drop of anybody's blood to be shed.
Ironically, those folks couldn't tell whether the shoes were 1" or not...so let's just have everyone put them thru "the metal detector" so we can see if there really is metal, or something hiding, in those flip flops...

And your comment about Osama...i keep reading these posts that say "the terrorists have won"...they have
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrt
I heard on the news that gel insoles are now on the official banned list.
Indeed they are. Which is absurd. My previous travel shoes (no metal shanks) have small bits of gel padding in the heel. I guess I have to find new travel shoes.

I feel especially bad for those people who need gel inserts to avoid pain.

Since many sneakers have gel elements built into the shoe itself (not removable), what's their status?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
I think mandatory checks for padded bras and implants should be next. Only natural breasts will be allowed next.
Yeah, I can then see Larry the Lecher suddenly signing up for TSA "front line of terrorism-watch duty"
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Only natural breasts will be allowed next.

I can see it now...."They're real...and they're spectacular!"
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:56 pm

I'm not sure if I can call this ridiculous or absurd or something worse. Maybe I should just quit before I violate the TOS here. But come on, gel insoles? I guess that means I'll have to find new shoes to wear since mine aren't comfortable without the insoles.

On some level I can almost envision this as an evil attempt by "businesses" to encourage us to buy more things when we fly as we can no longer bring them from home.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
On some level I can almost envision this as an evil attempt by "businesses" to encourage us to buy more things when we fly as we can no longer bring them from home.
That's my concern about sealed conatiners not being "good enough" and being forced to buy from "approved" sterile-area vendors.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

As I reported in another thread here - but bears repeating - I went through security at ORD on Thursday night. They confiscated three bags of Gummie Bears that went through the X-ray from the family in front of me. They stated it was gel-like and wouldn't be allowed to go.

If I hadn't seen it myself I would never have believed it.

Thankfully, the family asked for a supervisor. The sup overruled the X-ray agents.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:49 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Indeed they are. Which is absurd. My previous travel shoes (no metal shanks) have small bits of gel padding in the heel. I guess I have to find new travel shoes.

I feel especially bad for those people who need gel inserts to avoid pain.

Since many sneakers have gel elements built into the shoe itself (not removable), what's their status?

According to the latest iteration of the banned items list...

NOTE: Shoes with gel heels are allowed but must to removed and screened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.