Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"4 oz. of non-prescription medicine" -- Contact Solution?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Southwest Rapid Rewards

I just read where the TSA/FAA has slightly loosened the liquid ban so that a passenger may take up to 4 ounces of non-prescription medicine on board. Does this include contact solution? Just want to know if I should pop my contacts out before my 18hr. LAX-TPE-SIN jaunt next week.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:20 pm

Yesterday I flew LIH-SFO and pre-filled a screw-cap contact lens case with multi-purpose solution. This way you don't need to carry the bottle of solution through the LIP (Liquid Inspection Point)
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
On a semi-related subject, I'd be curious if anyone knows if the 4 oz liquid medicine exception also applies to gels, creams and ointments.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by ssides
I just read where the TSA/FAA has slightly loosened the liquid ban so that a passenger may take up to 4 ounces of non-prescription medicine on board. Does this include contact solution? Just want to know if I should pop my contacts out before my 18hr. LAX-TPE-SIN jaunt next week.
I believe I saw that question posed on MSNBC (or CNBC) today to a TSA official. The official replied that the 4 oz. could be contact solution. You might want to check one of those websites for confirmation (and to make sure that the rules have not been changed since midday).
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:35 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Check at the trail size aisle at you local store. Bausch & Lomb make a little bottle of ReNu (2 oz) and it's not the MoistureLoc they had all the fungus problems with. It's for soft contacts only and costs around $1.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The best and appropriate forum for these Qs. is Travel Safety/Security and I'll move it there for discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Mod, TravelBuzz
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Is Visine okay now?

I'm confused as there seems to be some sort of "anti-loophole" against eyedrops as OTC meds? Really ironic as we're talking a quanity too small to effectively mix with anything.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm confused as there seems to be some sort of "anti-loophole" against eyedrops as OTC meds? Really ironic as we're talking a quanity too small to effectively mix with anything.
The TSA website states that 4 oz of contact lense solution or eye drops is allowed on planes.

go directly to the tsa.gov website for details. Personally I would print the list and carry it with me to show all the TSA idiots at the screening who are still probably taking away lipstick
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by VegasResident
The TSA website states that 4 oz of contact lense solution or eye drops is allowed on planes.

go directly to the tsa.gov website for details. Personally I would print the list and carry it with me to show all the TSA idiots at the screening who are still probably taking away lipstick
Thanks, VegasResident -- do you have a link? I've searched through the TSA web site and couldn't find an answer.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ssides
Thanks, VegasResident -- do you have a link? I've searched through the TSA web site and couldn't find an answer.
Here's the link - it took me one click from the home page.

TSA Prohibited Items List
Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:09 pm

Isn't contact lens solution different from eye drops used with contacts? One is for storing you lens and the other is for rewetting a dry eye. Is there a product that you can use both to rewet your eyes and to store your lens?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by VegasResident
I bet they'll have a hissy fit if I bring on a 2oz bottle of solution AND .5 oz of rewetting drops
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
nasal spray OK?

I developed a mild ear infection a few hours ago and have to fly FLL-ATL-SEA tomorrow. Went to the local drugstore and the pharmacist recommended Sudafed and nasal spray. Tried the nasal spray and it works great. I can spray before I check my bags in FLL but really want it with me for the ATL-SEA leg. Didn't see nasal spray on any TSA list - anyone know if I can carry it on? small bottle - 1oz.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
USA Today posted the "list" of allowed items

up to 4oz of non-prescription liquid medications, including cough syrup, eye drops, contact lens solutions and nasal spray.

^
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by cbalaska
Didn't see nasal spray on any TSA list - anyone know if I can carry it on? small bottle - 1oz.
cbalaska,

You should fine, as nasal spray is covered on the 4 oz. of non-prescription medication. BTW, there's a whole thread on this in this forum. Maybe there's an update of relevance??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.