Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

travel pillow recommendations?

Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

OK, my $6 inflatable vinyl pillow finally popped. It wasn't very comfortable, either.

Anyone got some good suggestions? Inflatable is nice because it packs up smaller, but comfortable is most important. Unfortunately, I fly NW, which means no pillows!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
There is the Jetrest.com (based in the UK) - it's sort of L-shaped to help keep the draft of ones neck. Does work, but in my experience does take a bit too much room for my liking (not a problem if it's a short trip, but when packing light for a 2-3 month journey it's size:benefit ratio doesn't work for me).

Ships to the USA (postage 12.95 ~ USD $22).
- Reasonably easy to get a discount off full price (PM if your interested)
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
thanks to a ua f/a, i now swear by the komfort kollar (inflatable not memory foam) sold by magellans (http://www.magellans.com/store/In_Fl...owsIF383?Args=). on the flight in question, my generic "blow up doll" died and she offered me hers and it was incredible!!! i highly recommend it with a tip-unfold a bandana (sp?) and place it over the part of the pillow that touches the back of your neck as it helps keep the sweat down.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:36 pm

Pillow

I absolutely love my travel pillow. It is goosedown and smashes down into almost nothing but springs right back. I actually stuff it down in between the handle arms in my carryon. They have them at Magellans and are not cheap at about $34 but worth every penny to me. I can finally sleep decently. The neck pillows never worked for me.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:10 pm
Suspended

One thing I should point out. Using goosedown is extremely unkind to those around you with allergies and asthma. Would you consider it ok for the person next to you to stink of perfume/cologne? I didn't think so. Down causes the same reaction allergy wise. There are plenty of synthetics out there that work fine.

In terms of the pillows themselves, I often find my neck falling completely to the side as my muscles relax. This is obviously an unhealthy position. Do these pillows force your head to stay upright?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by thegeneral
One thing I should point out. Using goosedown is extremely unkind to those around you with allergies and asthma. Would you consider it ok for the person next to you to stink of perfume/cologne? I didn't think so. Down causes the same reaction allergy wise. There are plenty of synthetics out there that work fine.

In terms of the pillows themselves, I often find my neck falling completely to the side as my muscles relax. This is obviously an unhealthy position. Do these pillows force your head to stay upright?
look at my earlier post regarding the komfort kollar and click on the link. i had the same problem where my neck would droop down or off to the side-but not any more
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I absolutely LOVE my "nap" pillow from brookstone. Am on #3 (because I keep leaving them in rental car trunks *frown*) and replace them immediately because I cant be without it.

BTW if you end up flying RJ's they are a PERFECT fit.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Me too

Originally Posted by goalie
look at my earlier post regarding the komfort kollar and click on the link. i had the same problem where my neck would droop down or off to the side-but not any more
for the Magellans' komfort kollar, although if I had the room in my carry on, I would go for the foam. I have the non-foam version now. It has increased my ability to sleep on planes. Well worth the price.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:41 am
Original Member

Another vote for the Komfort Kollar! My wife did not believe that such a pillow would make a difference, but it took only one long overnight flight to convince her. Put it around your head, close your eyes, recline your seat, and your mind my be fooled into thinking that you are actually horizontal!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by jbfield
There is the Jetrest.com (based in the UK) Ships to the USA (postage 12.95 ~ USD $22).
I looked at this one, they are also available from Magellan's but went with the Komfort Collar as well after trying a few different types over time. Thing I like about the Komfort Collar is that I don't have a problem with my headphones when using it. Some pillows make it hard / impossible on one or both ears to use headphones and there's no sense for me to use a pillow if I can't block out noise also via headphones.

I can recall waking up with my Shure smashed inside my ear on more then one occasion and forget using the Bose with some of the pillows out there.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
My "travel pillow" is actually a lightweight, Marmoot Breathable Rain Jacket (bought from REI, thru the AA website of course to get the miles). The left pocket has a soft mesh lining that doubles as a stuff sack. When so stuffed, the jacket makes a GREAT pillow, I can carry it on without taking up space in my carry-on.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Has anyone tried the SkyRest pillow? I suspect that one of the reasons I have trouble sleeping on planes is that I prefer sleeping on my stomach, and this pillow looks as if it might help. Also, whenver I nod off, I always nod forward, not backward. I'm not a big fan of inflatable pillows, neckrests, etc., but I may give this one a try.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:02 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
I recommend the onboard pillow I stole from Malaysia Airlines last month. It is ery high quality and did me well on my subsequent Northwest Airlines flights.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Premier Al
Another vote for the Komfort Kollar! My wife did not believe that such a pillow would make a difference, but it took only one long overnight flight to convince her. Put it around your head, close your eyes, recline your seat, and your mind my be fooled into thinking that you are actually horizontal!
I think I'll try the Komfort Kollar as the soft pillows don't provide enough support for my head bob. Thanks folks!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, InterContinental Royal Ambassador
Yeah, sounds great. I'm going to try one as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.