Wiki Posts
Search

NOT crossing the border

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:06 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

NOT crossing the border

How close have you been to a country youve NEVER been to? Last week I was in Argentina looking across the river into Paraguay. No more than 300 feet/100 meters away.

Im sure someone will mention the negotiation table at the DMZ between North and South Korea. Any others?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
How close have you been to a country youve NEVER been to? Last week I was in Argentina looking across the river into Paraguay. No more than 300 feet/100 meters away.

Im sure someone will mention the negotiation table at the DMZ between North and South Korea. Any others?
Less than a month ago, I was in my hotel room in Eilat looking over at Jordan (literally, a 10 minute walk from the room), Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. I've never been to any of the 3 (although I was in what is now again Egypt when it was in Israeli hands.)
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:28 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
You can walk around the table as part of the tour (or at least you used to be able to). The table straddles the "border".
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
A few years back, when it was peaceful, drove up to Rosh Hanikra on the Israel side. Lebanon is just a gate away.

Before China opened it doors to foreigners in the late 70's, closest I'd been is on the Macau side. A few hundred yards further was red China.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
30 something thousand feet from several countries I have never set foot on.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:37 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
A few hundred yards from Afghanistan, at the Khyber Pass.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Five meters from Hungary, in southwestern Austria. We were on the road right at the border, but did not head into Hungary itself. Haven't made it to Hungary yet, and this was five years ago.

Also got very close to Jordan while visiting Israel - I would say within 100 meters each time. Haven't been to Jordan yet though.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
A couple miles from Sweden while snowmobiling on the frozen surface of the Gulf of Bothnia (in Finnish territory, of course ). Didn't bother me since I went to Sweden before that anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
100 feet from the Pakistani border on the Afghani side, south of Kandahar.

500 meters from the Iranian border from a little Iraqi town, the name of which eludes me at the moment.

Almost made it into Albania but the helicopter had to turn around in the mountains due to visibility issues.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:17 pm

Back in the old days I stood on the border between West and East Germany many many times... and I touched East German trees while boating and ice skating on a West German river.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:22 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
I've sat by the river at night in Mae Sai, Thailand, looking across the river to the absolute darkness in Myanmar.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rkkwan
A few years back, when it was peaceful, drove up to Rosh Hanikra on the Israel side. Lebanon is just a gate away...
Ditto.

Also to the Jordan River, in the north where it's narrow and Jordan is on the other side. While there I heard nearby gunshots, unexpected because the two countries were by then no longer at war. Besides, they seemed too regular for combat firing. I asked my cousin, who lives in nearby Kibbutz Gesher - he said they were to frighten birds away from the fish ponds!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Efrem
Ditto.

Also to the Jordan River, in the north where it's narrow and Jordan is on the other side. While there I heard nearby gunshots, unexpected because the two countries were by then no longer at war. Besides, they seemed too regular for combat firing. I asked my cousin, who lives in nearby Kibbutz Gesher - he said they were to frighten birds away from the fish ponds!
Well, since I went to Jordan on the same trip, I didn't include it. However, I should mention Syria too, as driving on Golan Heights, I believe some spots are very close to the green zone administered by the UN, and Syria proper is only another mile or two away.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
I've been to Kansas City, Missouri, but never crossed the border into Kansas City, Kansas. Did I miss anything special?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by srk123
I've been to Kansas City, Missouri, but never crossed the border into Kansas City, Kansas. Did I miss anything special?
No.

Would changing planes in an airport without clearing customs count? If so, I've never been to Singapore.

Also, I've stood on the American side of Niagara Falls, but never been to Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.