Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAC Battery Recall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

MAC Battery Recall

Now MAC is forced to recall laptop batteries due to a potential fire hazard. I have two batteries that are affected. Here's the info from the apple website:

Q. How long will it take to receive a replacement battery from Apple?

A. It may take up to 4 to 6 weeks for your replacement battery to arrive. Shipping time may vary due to availability of your battery model.

Q. Can I use my computer without the battery in it?

A. Yes, once you've removed the affected battery, just plug in the AC adapter to power the computer until a replacement battery arrives.

Funny thing is, I purchased the extra battery because the original was getting hot. The "genius" at the apple store told me it must have gone bad and I needed to replace it.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Things like this are why I bought the last-rev 15" G4 PowerBook even knowing the Intel MacBooks would be out soon (with the res bumped up to 1440x960—60 more vertical pixels than the 15" MacBook Pro amusingly!) Between general heat problems, loud fans, logic board problems, and potentially flaming batteries, I decided it'd be best to simply not buy the first rev of a completely new product. In general that is often a good idea... (Traveling for 6 months out of the US at the moment as well so support on the thing would be horrid. Whereas the G4 PowerBook is a tried-and-true product with pretty much all of the kinks ironed out over the past few years.)

Still, I am kind of envious of MacBook owners with their nice fast machines. (Especially with BootCamp released now, since it would be nice to boot into Windows on those rare occasions that I might need to.)

When the second rev of MacBook Pros are out and they've had a few months to prove that Apple's improved the quality, I'll be getting my hands on one immediately.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:06 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by karthik
Things like this are why I bought the last-rev 15" G4 PowerBook even knowing the Intel MacBooks would be out soon (with the res bumped up to 1440x960—60 more vertical pixels than the 15" MacBook Pro amusingly!) Between general heat problems, loud fans, logic board problems, and potentially flaming batteries, I decided it'd be best to simply not buy the first rev of a completely new product. In general that is often a good idea... (Traveling for 6 months out of the US at the moment as well so support on the thing would be horrid. Whereas the G4 PowerBook is a tried-and-true product with pretty much all of the kinks ironed out over the past few years.)

Still, I am kind of envious of MacBook owners with their nice fast machines. (Especially with BootCamp released now, since it would be nice to boot into Windows on those rare occasions that I might need to.)

When the second rev of MacBook Pros are out and they've had a few months to prove that Apple's improved the quality, I'll be getting my hands on one immediately.

Actually, MacBook batteries are not part of this recall. G4 PowerBook batteries are. You can go here to see if your battery is among those needing to be sent in.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:14 am

Well, looks like I'm going to take my PowerBook to an Apple Reseller here in Seoul. Hopefully, I can receive my replacement battery first before sending my battery in.

Although the original MacBooks aren't a part of this recall, I'd have to agree that I generally wouldn't buy a first revision product from Apple.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:32 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
There is a recall on MBP and PowerBook batteries. I sold my old 12" to a student whom I believe is in Australia at the moment. I've e-mailed him to point this out to him as the 12" has a battery from october 2003.

My MBP has already had a new battery and is doing fine.

It looks like the fault is with Sony who manufactured the batteries for both Dell and Apple.

/E
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:21 am
Original Poster

I have the iBook G4, and it's original battery and replacement battery that I purchased this year are both part of the recall.

I was on hold for more than 2 hours last night to get mine replaced. Apparently, you can fill out the form online to determine if your batteries are affected, but the system said that mine were not, even though the numbers were within the recall parameters. When I finally got a person on the phone, he agreed that they were and set me up with the replacements.

You cannot do the exchange at the Apple stores.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by climbermom
I have the iBook G4, and it's original battery and replacement battery that I purchased this year are both part of the recall.

I was on hold for more than 2 hours last night to get mine replaced. Apparently, you can fill out the form online to determine if your batteries are affected, but the system said that mine were not, even though the numbers were within the recall parameters. When I finally got a person on the phone, he agreed that they were and set me up with the replacements.

You cannot do the exchange at the Apple stores.
I would suggest waiting a week or two to call. The call centers are going to be swamped for a while, and, in reality, your odds of having something bad happen as a result of the battery is something like one in 90,000. Waiting a week will likely not result in any sort of combustion.

We'll need to call in to get a replacement for one of ours as well, as it didn't meet the recall parameters on the web either.

Take a little pity on the support reps for now... Their world just got a jillion times busier overnight. I have so been there... overtime on a Friday night ain't the greatest.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since many of us are affected by this, and because it is a known hazzard with the potential for a lot of damage I'm going to "sticky" these 2 battery threads for the next 2 weeks.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
Macbook Pros batteries are being recalled.

Originally Posted by swise
Actually, MacBook batteries are not part of this recall. G4 PowerBook batteries are. You can go here to see if your battery is among those needing to be sent in.

The 15 inch Macbook Pro batteries are being recalled. Here is the quote from the apple support site.
" Apple has initiated a worldwide battery exchange program for certain rechargeable batteries that were sold for use with 15-inch MacBook Pro computer systems from February 2006 through May 2006.

We recently discovered that some 15-inch MacBook Pro batteries supplied to Apple do not meet our high standards for battery performance. To give our users the best experience possible, we will replace these batteries for customers free of charge.

Note: The affected batteries do not pose a safety risk. You may continue to use your current battery until a replacement arrives.
Identifying your battery

The affected batteries have model number A1175 and a 12-digit serial number that ends with U7SA, U7SB or U7SC. To view the model and serial numbers located on the bottom of the battery, you must remove the battery from the computer. The battery serial number is located above the barcode.
Click Here For Apple Support Site
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Got an e-mail about this from Apple yesterday. No information that isn't on the Web site and the other sources, but they're being proactive about getting it out.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
The 15 inch Macbook Pro batteries are being recalled. Here is the quote from the apple support site.
" Apple has initiated a worldwide battery exchange program for certain rechargeable batteries that were sold for use with 15-inch MacBook Pro computer systems from February 2006 through May 2006.

We recently discovered that some 15-inch MacBook Pro batteries supplied to Apple do not meet our high standards for battery performance. To give our users the best experience possible, we will replace these batteries for customers free of charge.

Note: The affected batteries do not pose a safety risk. You may continue to use your current battery until a replacement arrives.
Identifying your battery

The affected batteries have model number A1175 and a 12-digit serial number that ends with U7SA, U7SB or U7SC. To view the model and serial numbers located on the bottom of the battery, you must remove the battery from the computer. The battery serial number is located above the barcode.
Click Here For Apple Support Site
THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!! Indeed, my MBP battery was one recalled, but I NEVER got ANY notice from Apple. Today I went into the Apple Store and though at first they INSISTED my MacBookPro Battery was NOT a recall, I showed them this post. Only then did the guy scan MY battery and apologize. Yes, it was recalled and I should have (but certainly did not) get a notification from Apple. A replacement battery should be on the way to me shortly. But I have ONLY this forum to thank. Nothing is on the Apple website and even the Apple Store (at least the one I went to) were in denial. HUMPH!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS
You welcome.

Originally Posted by ncdaniels1947
THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!! Indeed, my MBP battery was one recalled, but I NEVER got ANY notice from Apple. Today I went into the Apple Store and though at first they INSISTED my MacBookPro Battery was NOT a recall, I showed them this post. Only then did the guy scan MY battery and apologize. Yes, it was recalled and I should have (but certainly did not) get a notification from Apple. A replacement battery should be on the way to me shortly. But I have ONLY this forum to thank. Nothing is on the Apple website and even the Apple Store (at least the one I went to) were in denial. HUMPH!

I received my battery today and it looks very easy to return. Yesterday I had a scare. On Monday I shut down my MCB Pro using shut down and had it plugged in. Funny thing is that the light on the latch was still on. Thought nothing of it and went to sleep. When I woke up I noticed that the light was still on the latch and I hurriedly placed my MCB Pro in my case and went to work. That morning we met at Starbucks for the meeting so I had no chance to take my new MCB. When I got to the office I pulled out my MCB and it was hot. I mean hot hot hot and my case was hot. I pulled it out and immediately pulled out the battery. I have since run it without the battery and now i'm going to place the new battery and see what happens.

I believe I did ordered my replacement battery on Friday and I received it today on Wed. Factor in the holiday.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by ncdaniels1947
Actually there's a link called "iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 Battery Recall" on Apple's main page, www.apple.com.

There's a section called "exchanges and extensions" to which about 1"x2" of screen space is dedicated on the apple.com/support site which contains links to the battery exchange sites.

It also made Drudge Report on the 25th of August, and both the AP and Reuters ran stories about the recall, as well as the Wall Street Journal. In addition, it was on the evening news and most local 10/11 PM news broadcasts. Google News pulls up over 1000 hits with the query Apple Battery Recall since Aug 25.

On August 31, Apple sent an email to users with the subject "Important Safety Recall." The originating address was [email protected]. It contained all the details on the recall. If users registered their products, I imagine they would get the email at the address on the registration. Of course, it's possible some spam filters might still eat it.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swise
Actually there's a link called "iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 Battery Recall" on Apple's main page, www.apple.com.

There's a section called "exchanges and extensions" to which about 1"x2" of screen space is dedicated on the apple.com/support site which contains links to the battery exchange sites.

It also made Drudge Report on the 25th of August, and both the AP and Reuters ran stories about the recall, as well as the Wall Street Journal. In addition, it was on the evening news and most local 10/11 PM news broadcasts. Google News pulls up over 1000 hits with the query Apple Battery Recall since Aug 25.

On August 31, Apple sent an email to users with the subject "Important Safety Recall." The originating address was [email protected]. It contained all the details on the recall. If users registered their products, I imagine they would get the email at the address on the registration. Of course, it's possible some spam filters might still eat it.
Is that ALL you guys did to alert people?
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
i was on toshiba's notebook site today and they have right on their homepage.

our batteries are fine and we don't have this problem

I was at a computer store recently and couldn't get the salesman to leave me alone, so I started asking loudly. "rae you trying to get me to buy the laptops that catch on fire????"

OR the ones that will be in the news next week. He left me alone after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.