Wiki Posts
Search

Elite status "soft landing"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Elite status "soft landing"

Does AA still adhere to its "soft landing" policy? I am plat, but have been grounded most of the year...I doubt I'll reach even gold...will they take away my status altogether next year, or just reduce me to gold?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
Unless something changes, you should receive a soft landing to Gold for next year.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks...I hope you're right.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jcresq
Thanks...I hope you're right.
No need to hope -- AA's stated policy is to demote elites only one level per year. You'll be gold next year.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ceasy
No need to hope -- AA's stated policy is to demote elites only one level per year. You'll be gold next year.
Out of curiosity, where has this been "stated"? (By AA, that is).
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious about this as well. I made Plat via the challenge in 2005; this year I'll be about 10k short of Gold.

I've considered doing a run, but if I'll get a soft landing...there's no sense in spending the $$$ when I can put it towards 2007 status.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:32 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I made Plat via the challenge in 2005; this year I'll be about 10k short of Gold.

I've considered doing a run, but if I'll get a soft landing...there's no sense in spending the $$$ when I can put it towards 2007 status.
If you're PLT now (i.e. your PLT status expires Feb 2007) then you'll revert to Gold on March 1, 2007 (even if you did not fly one mile all year long).
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If you're PLT now (i.e. your PLT status expires Feb 2007) then you'll revert to Gold on March 1, 2007 (even if you did not fly one mile all year long).
That's awesome to know! I look forward to flying AA more in '07.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
If I have reverted back to Gold, can I retake the Platinum Challenge? I know you can't take it to requalify, but can I take once I have dropped a level?

Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
If I have reverted back to Gold, can I retake the Platinum Challenge? I know you can't take it to requalify, but can I take once I have dropped a level?

Thanks
If your Platinum status that just expired was acquired by challenge, then no. If not, yes.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:46 am

This got me thinking...can someone who acquired Plat through a challenge renew it by paying $495/595? The announcement about buying status didn't explicitly exclude challenges.

In other words, could one do a challenge only every other year, as now required, but with purchased status in the intervening years?

My apologies if this was discussed in another thread, I missed it.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kalia960
This got me thinking...can someone who acquired Plat through a challenge renew it by paying $495/595? The announcement about buying status didn't explicitly exclude challenges.

In other words, could one do a challenge only every other year, as now required, but with purchased status in the intervening years?

My apologies if this was discussed in another thread, I missed it.
Yes, this was discussed extensively around this time last year. The answer is, we don't really know, but it appears that this would work. The ban on repeat challenges was new last year, and wasn't being enforced uniformly, so it is hard to say if isolated instances of buying status were OK by that undocumented (publicly, at least) policy or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.