Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Rules = Competitive Advantage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
TSA Rules = Competitive Advantage?

With so much publicity about no water and no gels allowed in carry-ons, I wonder why no airline hasn't seen it as a marketing opportunity?

Many of us want our bottle of water and our toothpaste. So why doesn't Acme Air run big ads in all the media announcing that every pax gets a free bottle of watet and a little tube of toothpaste as they enter the plane...an upgraded version of the amenity kits of old?

Or, is somebody doing this already and I haven't been reading the right newspaper?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
With so much publicity about no water and no gels allowed in carry-ons, I wonder why no airline hasn't seen it as a marketing opportunity?

Many of us want our bottle of water and our toothpaste. So why doesn't Acme Air run big ads in all the media announcing that every pax gets a free bottle of watet and a little tube of toothpaste as they enter the plane...an upgraded version of the amenity kits of old?

Or, is somebody doing this already and I haven't been reading the right newspaper?
Maybe because the bans appear to be temporary and airlines are all about keeping costs low these days?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Maybe because the bans appear to be temporary and airlines are all about keeping costs low these days?
I think it's a great cross-promotional opportunity for an airline to work with a company like Crest to give out samples.

When I rented my car from Avis in SMF yesterday, I was given a bottle of Crest mouthwash, a tube of Crest toothpaste, and a pack of Crest Glide floss. If only Crest made shaving cream.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Some airlines already have this as standard, at least on longer and/or international routes. BA, for example, hands out a small amenity kit in economy containing tootpaste, toothbrush, eyeshades, socks and earplugs in economy. Water is also handed out in bottles, at least in business; I think in economy it comes in individual glasses.

Of course, business and first gets much more...

Shorthaul is a different story of course, at least with BA.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I hope they will be temporary bans, but who knows?! I'll bet Crest or Colgate would jump at the chance to give away free toothpaste samples to a grateful, upscale group of folks.

As for the bottled water, if bottles cost 33 cents each (a guess) and you hand out 300 per flight, you've only spent $100 per plane. Yet, suddenly you become the airline that cares about its pax (even those in coach)...I can hear the background music in the TV commercial right now

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money, and it seems like this is one of those times.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:10 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Some airlines already have this as standard, at least on longer and/or international routes. BA...
Sorry, but this should really read "...still have this as standard".

Otherwise I fully agree -- that would be a great marketing opportunity for an airline, especially if coupled with a cross-promotion.

HTB.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have wondered that too, but I think airlines just didn't have time to stock up on the toothpaste. I've stayed at a number of different Hilton's and Hyatt's and the gift shops are all out of toothpaste!!
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There is some suggestion in the Security Board that the TSA are now forbidding the removal of liquids from aircraft - hence this idea would not work.
However, some hotels - Hyatt for example - are offering packs of shaving foam, toothpaste etc.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
There is some suggestion in the Security Board that the TSA are now forbidding the removal of liquids from aircraft - hence this idea would not work.
Removal of liquids? They won't be draining the toilets? This could get ugly fast!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:25 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Don't forget that while any of us would send a guy down to Sams to buy fifty cases of water and have the baggage monkey put it in the jet bridges, total cost/bottle = $0.50. Time to implementation: 2 days.

The airlines, excluding southwest, could probably pull it off in six months for $5/bottle.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:14 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
It would backfire because most people are happy that the TSA is finally "cracking down" on dangerous substances, and this idea would make it look like the airlines are trying to "evade" the new security rules.

In this environment where stupidity reigns, the airline that makes more announcements and does more diversions will probably get more business from the Nervous Nellies, and unfortunately they outnumber the rational types 2 to 1.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
As for the bottled water, if bottles cost 33 cents each (a guess) and you hand out 300 per flight, you've only spent $100 per plane. Yet, suddenly you become the airline that cares about its pax (even those in coach)...I can hear the background music in the TV commercial right now
Aer Lingus actually is doing this (maybe not the TV ads, but they're putting water at every seat, and then touting it in press releases). I say more power to them.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
"Well as long as it's done for the sake of safety, I'm all for it!!!"
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
Are you guys also seeing a toothpaste commercial on the bottom of the page?
I never knew that online ad systems had a sense of humor! :-D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.