Wiki Posts
Search

S.P.A.M. losing its focus?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

S.P.A.M. losing its focus?

Hey Randy, I used to be a strong advocate of MyPoints, eRewards, etc. and used to frequent the SPAM forum alot. However, over the past few months my visits have declined. I've noticed that the the programs have become a hassle and not as good of a value as I used to think, and more importantly the content in SPAM has shifted its purpose.

Sure there are still a number of MyPoints and eReward threads there, but it seems like it is becoming over run with threads about FREE things, and SALES, and DISCOUNTS at retail stores. I was wondering if you were aware of this shift in focus of SPAM and if you were OK with it?

I know we've all benefitted from the free threads out there (i.e. condoms, personal lubricants, etc.), but IMO the forum has veered away from its M.O. of supporting the main focus of FlyerTalk... points & miles!

Thoughts?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've thought the same thing for a long time, although I'm guilty of posting a couple of free things and have benefited from some of the free postings that have nothing to do with points and miles.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
S.P.A.M. lost its focus a looooong time ago -- years, in fact.

It should really be renamed "FatWallet Jr."
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:41 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Thanks for the note. You caught me off-guard since my interest normally does not include that forum and I admit up front i have no direct knowledge of its current state. As noted by others it seems from the surface that this did not take place overnight, rather over a long period of time and the slow change was not something which would normally have caught my eye anyway.

Having said all that, let me try and click around there, think about the future of said thread in light of the overall goals of FlyerTalk - which remember, is based upon the interests of its members, at least the input. It might be that the members of FT actually like its current state. So many things to consider and research from my starting point. With an aggressive travel agenda through the first part of Oct. (I'm still focused on miles and points - including the hard way, by flying...)

Hope you can understand why it is difficult to render any immediate thoughts.

Again, thanks for the question and support of FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
First off, I admitted that I did take advantage of some free offers posted in our SPAM forum and have been providing free magazines links myself. And occasionally to give away the CircuitCity or OM coupons that don't belong to our CC forum.

Even though I do not fly as much, when I post in various forums, I try to share my answers (or confusion) so other can benefit from it. I did notice the changes in the SPAM but was not able to point my finger as to exactly what not seems right except for one: post count padding.

I frequent our SPAM because I don't want to miss out the headsup about ereward and Mypoints. Of couse, e-Rewards and Mypoints are not as good as they used to be. However, a few posters caught my eyes in SPAM because it seems that's the only forum they participate (by posting) and they only take part in those non-points/miles related threads. (Maybe they also frequent other forums but don't feel comfortable to post.) I recall one or two posters aggressively posting in SPAM with thank you notes or something right after discovering the magic post number needed to have Coupon Connection access. And most recently, I would say maybe in the last couple of weeks or so, I saw a significant increase of threads similar to Fatwallet's free stuff.

I know we have a very generous policy on SPAM. But I don't like the fact that the current status of SPAM is not attracting our long-time FTers no more. Just my 2 cents!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I generally don't mind the evolution of S.P.A.M. having occasionally benefitted from a few of the slightly off-topic alerts (including one very recently) that I wouldn't otherwise have known about as well as discussion of MyPoints and such. If it truly turned into FatWallet Jr, I think it would be less useful. (Maybe it has done and I've just missed it over time because I visit it most times I check FT. Slow change, as you mentioned.) There's still a reasonable signal to noise. The example I had in mind was the REI sale, which is of course travel-related in that certain gear can be had there, although it doesn't quite fit for points/alternative miles.

I haven't paid close enough attention to see if there's post count padding going on, though. I only read threads if the title catches my attention. And perhaps I too quickly forget how many new threads are there which don't really catch my attention. And when I don't read them, I don't see how many are created by people with low post counts.

Not sure of the answer. I don't want to lose what's good about it, including some things that aren't quite points/alternative miles. But I do agree that it shouldn't be a breeding ground for those trying to subvert systems that are in place for other parts of FT and that we don't exactly need a FatWallet Jr forum. I guess the only real answer is heavier moderation. To me the topic doesn't lend itself to a post count/join date-restricted forum. We could send the freebie stuff to OMNI, although I don't think OMNI really wants it in most cases. (I can see them now: "What's all this freebie crap doing in here?" ) The trick would be sorting what is good but sorta off topic (something like the REI sale thread, which in fact was initiated by a long-time member and has several long-time member responses) from what is truly pointless to post there. Although I guess it would be subjective. I just went back through the last couple hundred, and even the ones that only have one or two responses have at least 100 views generally.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:51 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I admit that I have also taken advantage of some of the "freebies" posted in S.P.A.M. - but I also agree with the "post padding" going on.

There are many of the post that say something like "Thanks" or "Thank you" and nothing else! Or the post may just be " " or "^ ^ ^ "! Although there may be many views of the thread, there are very few posts with any discussion beyond the OP!

With the exception of the few threads about e-Rewards or My Points, most threads list the "latest" freebie! I do think it has moved from it's original mission.

That said, I'd hate to see it disappear. Maybe it should be a new forum or sub-forum called "free offers". And maybe it should be post (count) restricted. (CC is, but there are still posters and viewers.)
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:08 pm

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
Originally Posted by the_traveler

That said, I'd hate to see it disappear. Maybe it should be a new forum or sub-forum called "free offers". And maybe it should be post (count) restricted. (CC is, but there are still posters and viewers.)
I agree, I think it needs to get back to original purpose, but have another forum for freebies.

Having a sticky about posting "thanks" might help.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:04 am

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
S.P.A.M. lost its focus a looooong time ago -- years, in fact.

It should really be renamed "FatWallet Jr."
Except the difference is, S.P.A.M actually (albeit rarely) includes things that interest those outside of North America. The best thing about FT is that all posters understand that there is life outside of north america and will happily allow postings about the outside world.

While S.P.A.M has lost its touch and focus, I think it's still far more on focus than other similar theads on other forums, including FatWallet.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I admit that I have also taken advantage of some of the "freebies" posted in S.P.A.M. - but I also agree with the "post padding" going on.

There are many of the post that say something like "Thanks" or "Thank you" and nothing else! Or the post may just be " " or "^ ^ ^ "! Although there may be many views of the thread, there are very few posts with any discussion beyond the OP!

I don't think its "post padding". For me (I'm not in there much) I post a thank you or a ^ so I know 2 months from now when I check SPAM out again that I've already taken advantage of whatever was on that thread.

I like SPAM the way it is.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
I guess I'm just not seeing the problem here. The posting guidelines sticky LINK clearly states that "Other offers

Although this site is not intended as such, some leeway will be given in case a member wants to share an extraordinary finding with this community. Threads or posts that violate the TOS will be removed."

I don't see the forum being overrun yet.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Regarding the post-padding issue, this can be avoided by making posts in S.P.A.M. not count towards the total post count. I know that other forum software includes this feature, and hopefully the FT forum software also does.

This solution would allow people to keep posting "thanks" in S.P.A.M. to show their appreciation without being able to use it for post-padding purposes.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
I don't see the forum being overrun yet.
I guess it just matters on your definition of overrun.

Granted there may be some subjectivity. From the past 10 days...

66 Threads total.

17 Threads that deal w/ S.P.A.M.'s charter- "Sites with Points and Alternative Miles, including referral bonuses, congas and any other loyalty currencies."
Sticky: S.P.A.M. A guide to getting Miles and Points ( 1 2 3 )
Sticky: Posting Guidelines & Pyramid Schemes
Goodbye for good to E-Rewards ( 1 2 3 )
150 AA Points for watching Bose video online (or 350 for instore presentation) ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
MyPoints Backpack...has anyone found it today? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
Anyone having trouble logging into MyPoints?
No more MyPoints for ebay purchases?
2005 bonus Goldpoints for eating at TGIF's ( 1 2 3 )
get 10000 UA miles for opening an account
Earning BA Miles while purchasing with AirMiles?
My Points to Hilton Now 5000 Minimum ( 1 2 )
ParkSFO Coupon 2 days free w/3 days. Exp end of Sept
Has anyone redeemed their MyCokeRewards points? ( 1 2 3 4 )
50 Mypoints for Strong Idea Registration ( 1 2 )
10 My Points for Tickle IQ test, smartypants
250 Free Air Canada Aeroplan Miles
Does transferring e rewards to NW trigger the Bonus Play 500 mile bonus?

1 Meta Discussion
S.P.A.M losing it's focus?

7 Threads that I can see as a stretch (i.e. sort of travel related)
Restaurant.com Discounts/Coupons ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
Entertainment book coupon list
TWO Kingston 1GB Secure Digital Cards (SD) ~~ $24.95 (after rebate)
Does anyone have a Dell Inspiron laptop coupon code >20% discount?
For apple mac users, heres a free fun game for your dashboard & useful weather widget
Borders Coupons/Discounts ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
Entertainment book 2007 - no UA coupons ( 1 2 3 )

and 41 Threads (62%) that really have no relation to points or miles... or traveling!
Sticky: Free Yearly Magazine Subscriptions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
Sticky: any free itunes out there? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
Free Sample of Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Hand Wash
25% off Sale items Polo.com - 9/12-9/28
Crutchfield $20 off referral code
Peachtree Pro Accounting 2007 Free AR (free shipping) - exp 9/23
Free Cortislim Sample
Free samples of toiletries ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
Canada freebies
FREE Games and TESCO points
Free $10 Gift Card Regis Hair Salons + Free Gift
Free KFC $1 Coupon - 1,000/Day
Free Sample of Sensodyne Toothpaste
FREE Samples of Joico's K-PAK Shampoo and Conditioner
Free Bottle of Opi Nail Polish
Free 20% BananaRepublic.com code
Free Coke and/or Pepsi w/rebate ( 1 2 )
Free Sample of Gain Joyful Expressions Laundry Detergent
Free Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste ( 1 2 )
Mastercard perk for McCormick and Schmick's Membership ( 1 2 )
Free Jergens Skin Care Samples
The Wall Street Journal - Free for 4 weeks...
Deal Gone - Earn a $20 PAYPAL Bonus FREE -- Register + use a new service -- VERY EASY ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
Caribou Will Honor Voided Starbucks Coupons on 9/8
Moved: sita travel
Free Pain relieving gel sample
Bubble Goddess Bath unauthorized offer
Free granola bar
More Conga - Free $75 from partypoker.com
2 Free Counting Crows tickets
Free Sample of Desperate Housewives Forbidden Fruit fragrance
Free Kashi Granola Bar
Conga Oppty: Fun, free online game; chance to win cash, prizes ( 1 2 )
Free £2 off CD Wow! games, DVDs and CDs
$99 Steak & Seafood dinner for two @ Select Morton's Steakhouse Locations ( 1 2 3 )
Free Nestle Chocolate!! ( 1 2 )
Printable coupon for a free calculator at Staples
Circuit City $25 off $200
10% off Linens n Things gift cards w/ free shipping
Free SaversGuide
Moved: AirlineMeals.net - See your food before you eat it

In short, only 1/4 of the thread are really related to Sites for Points and Alternative Miles. Just the facts.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
While I admit I have taken advantage of some of the freebies, my primary reason for visiting SPAM is to see if there are any MyPoints offers I can take advantage of. There's a lot of sorting the wheat from the chaff, and the freebies aren't that important to me. I'd like to see the forum refocused on SPAM, not freebies.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by annerj
I don't think its "post padding". For me (I'm not in there much) I post a thank you or a ^ so I know 2 months from now when I check SPAM out again that I've already taken advantage of whatever was on that thread.

I like SPAM the way it is.
I agree with Annerj as I use my thanks the same way, and I beg to disagree with those of you who think the freebies are not travel related. If you look at the Women Travelers forum, you will see that a large number of us take the free sample sizes with us on our travels. As someone who travels every week, I also like the free food offers. I don't take advantage of all of them, but it's good to know that something is available should I need a snack on the road.

I have not noticed any padding on SPAM. I have posted a number of freebies, and it's nice to be thanked!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.