Reload this Page >

The Pickle thread

The Pickle thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
The Pickle thread

I like pickles. A sandwich with pickles is almost always better than one without. My favorite pickle is a half-sour dill. I used to get them with a deli sandwich up north. Now, I'm stuck buying a pale imitation in the grocery store. If I have to get them there, Claussen is the best by far. I'm also partial to midget dills from Peter Pepper, but have trouble finding them. I like pickles other stuff too; cauliflower, carrots, beets (mmm).

The newest trend in pickles is "zesty". It's usually in small print and I've bought them by mistake more than once. I don't want a spicy pickle. I hope the trend goes away quickly.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Not a huge fan perse, but pickles are nice in some things. What i really hate is sweet relish.. I'm all about the dill stuff
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM - I made it, for now.
inspired

Your post inspired me to do a little (3 seconds) research. Gus's pickles are the famous pickels from the Lower East Side of New York. You can order from a company in New Jersey who works with Gus's I think. The website is http://www.picklelicious.com/aboutus.html. I have no affilation with this company at all.

Happy hunting.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:59 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Love pickled tomatoes, but they have to be kind of crisp.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
I thought the 'zesty' might be interesting, but I was quite wrong. Definitely prefer a garlicky dill.

Also prefer dill relish to sweet, although it's sometimes hard to find in the stores (and never can find it in a restaurant).
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I love all kind of pickles-except the cr'''py cheap supermaket variety)shelf stable-no refrigeration needed)that I grew up with.
Same with olives-love em EXXEPT the Lindsay brand(or similar)black pitted olives that were also common on my family's picnic table.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I enjoy pickles from Kosher delicatessens in New York most of all, both the sour and half-sour varieties, as well as pickles from barrels, especially from the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan.

I also enjoy homemade pickles from my cousin. My great-grandfather used to make his own homemade pickles as well.

For a taste of New York pickles away from New York, I enjoy Ba-Tampte pickles, which come in such flavors as half-sour and garlic. One can find them in the refrigerated section of supermarkets and farmer’s markets. Ba-Tampte pickles come from the Canarsie section of Brooklyn in New York.

However, I do enjoy Claussen pickles but was disappointed when they discontinued their burger-sized pickle chips.

I enjoy whole pickles, pickle chips, pickle spears, and other forms of pickles, whether dill, sweet, garlic or virtually any other kind of pickle. I enjoy eating them straight, but I also enjoy pickles on hamburgers and with Kosher pastrami and corned beef sandwiches.

Mmmm...pickles...
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Not a huge fan perse, but pickles are nice in some things. What i really hate is sweet relish.. I'm all about the dill stuff
I was just about to mention gus's. Normally I am a sour kind of guy, but when on the lower east side by gus's I go for the classic 3/4 sour.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:59 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Bread and butter pickles...that's my current kick. And of all places, the office cafeteria has great ones. Crispy, slightly sweet, slightly sour.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast
Your post inspired me to do a little (3 seconds) research. Gus's pickles are the famous pickels from the Lower East Side of New York. You can order from a company in New Jersey who works with Gus's I think. The website is http://www.picklelicious.com/aboutus.html. I have no affilation with this company at all.

Happy hunting.

I agree about Gus’s Pickles and have twice ordered them from this company. I’ve ordered both the full-sour and half-sour pickles but like their half-sours best.
But your website link seems to have better pricing.
And I’ve found that Trader Joe’s half-sours are excellent as well.
I agree with Canarsie that Ba-Tamptes half-sours are very good but I can rarely find them out West.
One other brand that I’m a big fan of is Bubbies.
I think I have more pickles in my refrigerator than any other food product.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:24 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
I like fried pickles. I'm in AUS at the moment, and there's a wing bar here named Plucker's. They've got great fried pickles if anyone comes here. Full of UT students, and cute waitresses.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Mrs Fannings Bread and butter pickles
Can eat a whole jar at one time if i am not careful
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Fried pickles are a feature of many restaurants specializing in southern cooking. In fact, the challenge in some of these places is finding something that hasn't been fried.

I'm not crazy about all pickles. My mother made her own bread and butter pickles years ago and I couldn't stomach the flavor. Unfortunately, Gramma BamaVol is no Mrs. Fanning. I'm also afraid to try pickled okra; afraid they'd be more like boiled than fried - the only way I really like okra, besides scattered throughout a gumbo.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
You know, when ever I hear “Bread and Butter” pickles, I think of sugar.

And as I hate sugar in every form and love salty foods, I think Bread and Butter pickle fans are actually Dessert fans who are trying to claim pickles as a dessert.

Hey, leave pickles to us salty food fans and, for those Bread and Butter pickle fans, eat cheesecake or something that truly cures your sweet-tooth.

NBwoodstock likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Cholula
You know, when ever I hear “Bread and Butter” pickles, I think of sugar.

And as I hate sugar in every form and love salty foods, I think Bread and Butter pickle fans are actually Dessert fans who are trying to claim pickles as a dessert.

Hey, leave pickles to us salty food fans and, for those Bread and Butter pickle fans, eat cheesecake or something that truly cures your sweet-tooth.

Yeah!! You tell em Cholula ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.