Egyptair internal flights Business vs Economy

Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Egyptair internal flights Business vs Economy

I will be taking some internal flights on Egypt air, eg. Cairo - Luxor, Luxor - Aswan, and have noticed there is a very small price differential between Economy and Business class. For example, on the flight between Cairo and Luxor, economy is USD 130.35 one way while business is USD 150.35.

Is there any real advantage to flying business class on these flights. I doubt whether I would actually eat anything that was served on Egyptair. My main concern is that everyone refers to Cairo airport as a "madhouse". Does Business class alleviate any of the stress of flying through Egyptian airports, or will it be stressful regardless of your class of travel?

Thanks, QF Lad.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
QF lad, i flew MS from Sharm-El-Sheikh to Cairo and back in Y towards the end of last year. From what I could see of the J cabin, there really was very little difference, seating wise probably similar to the dom/biz setup on QF's 734's.

Cant comment on food, but the Y 'snack' consisted of an unidentifiable pastry/roll and a carton of joice both ways.

Cairo airport is indeed a pit. I didn't notice any lounges in SSH or CAI although Biz definitely has seperate check-ins, that being said though check-in both ways was empty and took all of 30 seconds - The internal flights in CAI have their own seperate terminal to the Intl flights.

If you feel the $20 offers value for money for a slightly bigger seat on a circa 40min flight then go for it, but $20 goes a long way in Egypt....

Edited to note: My experience was far from stressful, and i doubt it will be as bad as you think. Just watch out for the luggage porters who will demand a tip after offering to help out and the dodgy taxi drivers who have a cheap taxi parked on the other side of the airport. If you want a taxi I suggest you ask one of the security guards - Look for the guys in White with the occasional AK47 slung round their necks!
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We just flew EgyptAir last week between Cairo and Larnaca Cyprus. This was an international flight, so we got to enjoy the new international terminal in CAI, which is actually quite nice. I've been through Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad and Bangalore India (4 of the worst airports I've ever seen in the world)- Cairo was a dream next to them. In fact, the new terminal is nicer than JFK or MIA. That said I'm not sure about the domestic terminal. But overall the immigration, baggage claim and then check in for our outbound flight were not bad. Either we got lucky or the stories about Cairo airport are overblown. We did have interesting experiences with people cutting in front of us in line and sitting in our seats (until we had the FA ask them to relocate).
As far as Y vs. F, our flights had a big differential in price, so we opted for Y. We wound up getting exit rows in both directions, which were great. The planes are old, very old 737's and the food is terrible. In F you get a bit more pitch and 2x2 seating. You will probably also have the F cabin to yourself, our flights were very lightly travelled and I think F was empty. Although $20 goes a long way in Egypt, I'd probably would have opted for F if that was the price difference on our flights.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Internal Egyptian flights

sdorling and stephem, thank you for your responses. It would seem that both of your experiences in Cairo airport were not too bad. Sdorling has also pointed out that the flights are short, and $20 goes a long way in Egypt, so I will probably stick to Y as well. Also, thank you for your tips in relation to the taxi drivers and the luggage porters.

Cheers, QF Lad.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond; SPG: Gold; UA Platinum; BA Silver; EK Silver
I've been flying Y and J on MS domestic for the past ten months between Cairo and Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Sharm el-Sheikh, and Hurghada. I started off in J simply because the fare difference is so minimal, but am now indifferent to which class I'm in. There is no Business class check-in counter for domestic flights. But as mentioned previously, there is almost always no line, unless you walk in to the terminal at the same time as a tour group. There is no priority boarding for J, since all boarding is by bus.

The only difference is the size of seat. If you want a larger seat, pay the $20, otherwise go Y.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Egyptian internal flights

BoSoxinBKK, Thanks for your input. Sounds like you have done the journey many times. I'll take your advice and stick to Y as well. Cheers, QF Lad.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: OW Emerald (AA-EXP, BA-Gold)
Electronic tickets? And Domestic to International transfer

Thanks for this information. My wife and I will also be flying CAI-LXR-ASW-CAI in a couple of weeks and I also noticed the small differential and am inclined to go for the business class.

On a related point, I was not successful in trying to buy electronic tickets on the web (eg. Expedia). Does EgyptAir have electronic tickets? When I phoned their Toronto office today they made a booking for me but, because I am leaving Canada tomorrow, indicated that I would have to stop in at their office in Istanbul or London on my way to Cairo. Is that how it works?

And a third point, we will be transferring from a domestic flight to an international flight with a 4 hour connection time- which would seem adequate but I have not been able to find information about the transit procedure from domestic to international. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ReelChief
Thanks for this information. My wife and I will also be flying CAI-LXR-ASW-CAI in a couple of weeks and I also noticed the small differential and am inclined to go for the business class.

On a related point, I was not successful in trying to buy electronic tickets on the web (eg. Expedia). Does EgyptAir have electronic tickets? When I phoned their Toronto office today they made a booking for me but, because I am leaving Canada tomorrow, indicated that I would have to stop in at their office in Istanbul or London on my way to Cairo. Is that how it works?

And a third point, we will be transferring from a domestic flight to an international flight with a 4 hour connection time- which would seem adequate but I have not been able to find information about the transit procedure from domestic to international. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks.
Their useless web site seems to indicate that by the end of 2006 they plan to offer e-tickets, so you're probably out of luck for now.

I'm planning to go on a side trip from CAI-SSH and just found out (after booking my 4:00 PM departure from CAI-FRA) that Egyptair offer flights from SSH arriving in CAI at 9:35, 10:05 or 3:30. Very bizarre scheduling! Unless someone has a clever alternative, it looks like I'm stuck at CAI for 6 hours waiting for the LH connection (I will have already been in Cairo for most of my trip, so don't really need another trip in to town).

Last edited by The Lev; Sep 23, 2006 at 6:30 pm
Old Sep 24, 2006, 8:53 am

Cai-sfo

Folks:

I will be traveling DXB-CAI-SFO-CAI-DXB route quite often, and have been quoted attractive deals on MS (transatlantic) and AA within USA. Can any one of you answer the following question:

- How is translatlantic flight CAI-JFK experience with MS. Are C class seats comparable to other airlines (flat bed), any idea about food, FA's etc.
- How good is airport lounge (Internet access is quite important to me
- How is baggage handling, in time flights etc.

Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:37 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Cai = Yuk!!!

Recently travelled BAH-CAI-BAH in F

CAI international is a shambles!!...Dirty, old and chaotic and noisey.
The lounges are a joke as is the food on offer. Customs and immigration is a horror event and if you stay at a 5* hotel get a meet and assist service!! There were open sewage smells from a sink near the entry way to the lounges...could not wait to get back on board the plane. Not sure what domestic is like but MS and CAI are definately not on my list of 'to do' in near or distant future.

CJ
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Jiffy
Folks:

I will be traveling DXB-CAI-SFO-CAI-DXB route quite often, and have been quoted attractive deals on MS (transatlantic) and AA within USA. Can any one of you answer the following question:

- How is translatlantic flight CAI-JFK experience with MS. Are C class seats comparable to other airlines (flat bed), any idea about food, FA's etc.
- How good is airport lounge (Internet access is quite important to me
- How is baggage handling, in time flights etc.

Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks.
Jiffy - I write as someone who is based in CAI appprox 10 months of the year, having worked as an expat in Egypt for more than 10 years.

If you have the choice of flying through CAI or not, and also have the choice of flying MS or not, I'd be inclined to say don't on both counts.

While I find Cedar Jet's comments re: CAI airport as being somewhat OT - yes, the lounges are a joke by western standards, no, customs and immigration is not a horror event (given their economic reliance on tourists, officials are polite and courteous in 99% of cases), in fact I have had worse experiences at the likes of IAD - it is undeniable that the airport does not measure up to other facilities in the region; e.g. BAH, DXB.

I would have thought you are far better off using an airline that gives you miles and status in one of the three main alliances; e.g. BA (DXB-LHR / LHR-SFO), or a combination of EK (DXB-JFK) with an alliance airline.

Of course, if you have to stopover in CAI for a specific purpose the above is of no use. However in that case I still wouldn't fly MS, but again go with a 'better quality' airline via an intermediate European airport.

As a completely alternative idea - why not fly the other way around the world (over the Pacific) with the likes of SQ, or even buy RTW tickets? They can be much better value than point to point tickets.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Of course, if you have to stopover in CAI for a specific purpose the above is of no use. However in that case I still wouldn't fly MS, but again go with a 'better quality' airline via an intermediate European airport.
Are there any viable alternatives from CAI - SSH?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by The Lev
Are there any viable alternatives from CAI - SSH?
The Lev - I'm sorry, the short answer is no. I haven't driven the route for over 20 years, but it's got to be at least a 6-8 hour drive; not to mention the massively increased chance of having an accident while travelling by car on Egypt's roads.

Given the length of your layover in CAI you could do worse than jump in a taxi and go to the Sheraton Heliopolis (about 7-8 minutes from the airport), or even the Movenpick (much closer to the airport) and either take a day room or at least enjoy a leisurely lunch away from the hustle and bustle of the terminals.

Upon your arrival from SSH you'll have to transfer between terminals anyway; right now LH is using the (relatively old - i.e. 20 years) T2. A new T3 is under construction and there is a new T1 which is actually half-decent. For the afternoon LH flight ex-CAI, T2 is generally quiet at that time, so crowds shouldn't be too much of an issue.

For domestic flights MS is perfectly accceptable; my comments were intended more towards international flights where - if you have a choice - an alternative might be more to one's liking.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:49 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by BoSoxinBkk
There is no Business class check-in counter for domestic flights.
Blimey! Phil the Flyer, can you confirm? And if true, how early should one arrive before a departure from CAI to LXR and from ASW to CAI.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Blimey! Phil the Flyer, can you confirm? And if true, how early should one arrive before a departure from CAI to LXR and from ASW to CAI.
AJ - I can confirm this to be a correct statement.

Checking-in for domestic flights in Egypt can be a bit like playing the lottery.

The following can conspire to confuse foreigners (or 'khawagas' as they say in Arabic) travelling within Egypt:

1. MS check-in desks are generally flight-specific; i.e. you can't just wander up to any desk and check-in for any flight.

2. Given 1. above you think - OK, all I've go to do is look out for the check-in desks that display my flight no. and/or destination. Not so simple - on many occasions in the recent past (I haven't flown domestically for a year now, but in many recent years have flown domestically 20 times per annum) these are either displayed, a) only in Arabic, b) incorrect flight no. (they sometimes change them at the last moment), c) given that flights between CAI and ASW either fly non-stop, CAI-ASW, or with a stop, CAI-LXR-ASW, they might show an ASW flight with a LXR sign at check-in in CAI or a CAI flight with a LXR sign at check-in in ASW.

In addition:

a) boarding domestic flights at CAI and ASW is via buses from the terminal to the aircraft. Hold on tight, the bus drivers all appear to be retired Formula One/NASCAR drivers.

b) In CAI the flight boarding, again until recently, used to be announced in Arabic only, although the boarding gate does at least show the flight no. in English. Expect a rugby-style scrum to board the buses. I have experienced a separate bus for Business Class, but this in inconsistent in its provision. In ASW, the boarding announcement is simply some guy shouting "Cairo, flight 130" - or words, to that effect.

c) Early morning (i.e. 4:00AM - 9:00AM) is generally the busiest time at CAI and ASW. In particular, at ASW - which has a surprisingly decent terminal - having been opened only 7 years ago - do not get caught up amongst the throngs of generally Italian tourists boarding the 25 minute shuttle flight between ASW and ABS (Abu Simbel).

d) Getting the check-in time right is a tricky thing. Arrive at the airport too early and you will either have to wait around a long time, not even knowing which check-in desk to queue at until someone hangs up the aforementioned signs, or you might get lucky and actually be offered seats on an earlier flight. Arrive at the airport with only minutes to spare and you will find that either you've got boarding passes for the very back of the plane or, even worse, your seats have been allocated to standby passengers. Generally better to err on the side of caution (arrive 90-120 minutes before the flight).

e) In-flight catering - in Economy - is coffee/tea/water plus biscuits/cake. Nothing to get excited about.

f) While baggage retrieval from the conveyor belt in ASW is generally a civilsed afffair, it can be chaotic in CAI - depending upon how many domestic flights have landed around the same time as yours.

When flying CAI-ASW try and get seats on the left hand side of the plane. The view of town of Aswan and Lake Nasser when you are about to land at ASW is much better from the left hand side - 99% of the time the plane, having flown south, does a left hand 180 degree turn to land in a northerly direction. Views of the River Nile between LXR and ASW are also generally better on the left hand side when flying south.

AJ - given the timing of your planned visit (January) heat shouln't be an issue in ASW, and definitely not in CAI. Travel in July though and you'll understand why so many flights are scheduled for the early morning.

The best advice I can give anyyone travelling within Egypt though is this - the average annual per capita income is approx US$1,000. A lot of the economy works on 'baksheesh' - small tips for services rendered. Tip the bus driver, the guy carrying your bags, etc (but not immigration or customs officials - this will constitute a bribe!) with, say LE5-10 (GBP0.50-1.00 / US$1.00-2.00) and you will be amazed how far an Egyptian will go out of their way to assist you.

Happy travelling!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.