Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Downgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Question Fare Downgrades

I have a flight for two on Continental booked in November from EWR. Thanks to a 'more the merrier' fare sale on JetBlue (which Continental has matched), the fares on the route have dropped substantially for parties of 2 or more.

I called Continental today to ask for a credit of the difference in the fares (not back on the credit card, just toward future travel), which they said they could do, BUT they would have to charge a $30 change fee per person to reticket at the lower fare, which essentially negates the fare savings.

It is interesting to note that Continental matches JetBlue's lower change fees on the route, but they do not match JetBlue's policy of applying, with no associated fees, a credit in the amount of the fare difference toward future travel.

In your experience, is there a way to perhaps politely convince them to issue this credit? Remember, it is only toward future flights (not cash back in my pocket), so it would compel me to fly Continental again, which is ultimately good for business.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by somedude24
I have a flight for two on Continental booked in November from EWR. Thanks to a 'more the merrier' fare sale on JetBlue (which Continental has matched), the fares on the route have dropped substantially for parties of 2 or more.

I called Continental today to ask for a credit of the difference in the fares (not back on the credit card, just toward future travel), which they said they could do, BUT they would have to charge a $30 change fee per person to reticket at the lower fare, which essentially negates the fare savings.

It is interesting to note that Continental matches JetBlue's lower change fees on the route, but they do not match JetBlue's policy of applying, with no associated fees, a credit in the amount of the fare difference toward future travel.

In your experience, is there a way to perhaps politely convince them to issue this credit? Remember, it is only toward future flights (not cash back in my pocket), so it would compel me to fly Continental again, which is ultimately good for business.
All legacy airlines charge change fees to reticket at lower fares. The mindset in legacies seems to be: Make a little tiny bit of money up front, make it really difficult for the customer to make a transaction with them, and then leave us with a bad taste in our mouth when they nickel and dime us.

One question: Somedude24: I noticed in your profile that you're a member of TrueBlue. So why not just fly jetBlue? I mean jetBlue has an infintely superior product to CO: Much more legroom, much, much more comfortable seat, DirecTV (and now XM radion on many planes), more flexible rules concerning ticketing changes, a friendlier attitude, etc.

I hope you didn't buy that malarky about a hot meal in coach (it's usually a sickening melted cheese sandwich that's hardened together with the white bread and has then been warmed up in the plane's galley. It turns out a little bit like a junior high school experiment gone awry).
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:35 pm

[QUOTE=somedude24]... the fares on the route have dropped substantially for parties of 2 or more.

It is interesting to note that Continental matches JetBlue's lower change fees on the route, but they do not match JetBlue's policy of applying, with no associated fees

from http://www.jetblue.com/faq.html

How do I make a change in my reservation?

Changes can be made prior to scheduled departure for a fee of $30 per person plus any applicable difference in airfare. Changes can be made online at jetblue.com, by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583), or if located in the Dominican Republic, by calling 1-200-9898. Any remaining balance will be placed in a JetBlue air-only credit and may be applied toward future travel for one year. If a reservation is not changed or canceled prior to scheduled departure, all money associated with the reservation is forfeited.

How is CO's policy different from JBLU's?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ciaobel
How is CO's policy different from JBLU's?
It's different in that B6 will charge you $30 to make an actual change (take a later flight, for example) but not simply if the fare drops on the same itinerary.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:53 pm

That is good to know, in this case, JBLU is more customer friendly. Hopefully that it builds enough goodwill with customers with this policy and coverts the goodwill into real profit.

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
It's different in that B6 will charge you $30 to make an actual change (take a later flight, for example) but not simply if the fare drops on the same itinerary.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ciaobel
That is good to know, in this case, JBLU is more customer friendly. Hopefully that it builds enough goodwill with customers with this policy and coverts the goodwill into real profit.
Real profit? jetBlue has been profitable since its inception. Although it may have experienced a couple of quarters of losses recently, B6 has been more profitable than any other airline in America save for WN, and B6's recent losses have been a fraction of those incurred by CO since 2001.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.