Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Elites No Longer Allowed in UA Y+!?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:41 am
Original Poster

US Elites No Longer Allowed in UA Y+!?!

I'm Silver Preferred, and I just went through a very lengthy process getting a flight booked on United (don't ask). In the end, I had to call UA reservations to give my US # and get my Y+ seat assignments. I just called and was told that as of today, US Elites are no longer allowed in Y+.

Is this true or is this yet another misinformed UA res agent?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by pgtravel
I'm Silver Preferred, and I just went through a very lengthy process getting a flight booked on United (don't ask). In the end, I had to call UA reservations to give my US # and get my Y+ seat assignments. I just called and was told that as of today, US Elites are no longer allowed in Y+.

I would assume you got a bad agent. The US site still lists E+ for all elite levels. Call again.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content.../benefits.aspx
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:14 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Call back.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by pgtravel

Welcome to the world of United off shore reservations. They are 100% wrong. I just booked a ticket on United yesterday and called and got placed in E+. The UA rep even acknowledged my US DM in the reservation and said I am entitled to E+. Call back and play the agent roulette game.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
Welcome to the world of United off shore reservations. They are 100% wrong. I just booked a ticket on United yesterday and called and got placed in E+. The UA rep even acknowledged my US DM in the reservation and said I am entitled to E+. Call back and play the agent roulette game.
Exactly right. The UA offshore call center is a gamble. I was once told there are no E+ seats on Ted flights. You may need to call several times to get what you are entitled to.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdlevi27
Call back and play the agent roulette game.
Man, I hate that game. But sure enough it worked this time. Last time, our good friend "Stephen Jones" with his heavy Indian accent wasn't helpful, but this time "Joe" came through for me. And he also acknowledged my status on US. At least I've got my seats now. Thanks for the responses.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Focus on Star Alliance status vs. US status

I have found that it works better with the offshore UA agents if I tell them that I am Star Alliance Gold, as opposed to US anything. They seem to know a bit more about Star Alliance than they do about the US relationship (which, in my experience, is usually nothing).
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Exclamation

Although a mis-informed agent 99% probably the case the united.com web site no longer says that *A Silver and Gold members are eligible for E+.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1314,00.html

That exact same web site used to say that they were.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
That exact same web site used to say that they were.
And there is the problem....if it used to show the benefit and no longer does, then this could be a quiet change that UA hoped would go unnoticed.

The first agent may have been right, and the other agents haven't been made fully aware. The system probably allows it, for now, until they roll out changes that will make it impossible for agents to do it regardless.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST

Granted we can't blame US for this if it's actually the case (it was always a courtesy extended by United) ... but this is a SERIOUS downgrade in US and *A elite benefits.

I posted on the UA forum. Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate

Granted we can't blame US for this if it's actually the case (it was always a courtesy extended by United) ... but this is a SERIOUS downgrade in US and *A elite benefits.

I posted on the UA forum. Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon.
I just don't see why UA would do that. If you are travelling on UA metal they are generating revenue! And there are probably a lot of US elites that are now flying UA metal. Sounds like a win-win for UA. They get revenue and US has to credit the mileage.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dukeman
I just don't see why UA would do that. If you are travelling on UA metal they are generating revenue! And there are probably a lot of US elites that are now flying UA metal. Sounds like a win-win for UA. They get revenue and US has to credit the mileage.
Unless somehow UA does a calculation and realizes that they'd get more revenue from people buying tickets (regardless of US elite status) then paying up for E+ seats later. That said, they'd be getting the revenue that they'd normally get from US elites + some money for people buying up from their E- tickets.

Maybe UA is playing this game to see if there is a trend going in one of the two directions:
-US Elites who STOP flying routes on UA because of this
or
-Increased revenue from the seats that normally would goto US Elites, that can now be sold in E+ inventory buy-ups.

Just my two cents from thinking from a pure-UA perspective.

-jeremy
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by kmfdm91
Maybe UA is playing this game to see if there is a trend going in one of the two directions:
-US Elites who STOP flying routes on UA because of this
--jeremy
You can put me in this category. If they pull our access to E+, unless I'm flying Paid C or F, UA won't see me on any of their metal.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
Originally Posted by dukeman
You can put me in this category. If they pull our access to E+, unless I'm flying Paid C or F, UA won't see me on any of their metal.
Same here, and I expect that you will see significant numbers of US elites who won't use United if this goes through. If I'm stuck in a crappy coach seat, it might as well be on US.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Yes, it used to be a benefit outlined on the United www site. See this link on the internet time machine. March 23, 2005
http://web.archive.org/web/200503230...2,1314,00.html

tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.