Wiki Posts
Search

Starting to collect MP - am I stupid?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: black is magic
Starting to collect MP - am I stupid?

Ok, I'm just 2400 miles short of SEN extention till 2010, so I figured out after reaching this I'll collect miles with MP and make Premier Executive this year as well in order to become 1K next year a little easier (25% bonus). As I fly mostly Y the SWUs would come in handy and as I have some time to renew SEN this makes most sense to me. What do you guys think? My flying pattern is as follows:
Intercontinental: 90% LH, 10% UA
Within Europe: 60% LH, 30% LX, 10% Condor
Within the US: 90% UA, 10% dunno
Within Asia: 100% SQ
Within DE: 100% LH
98% of my tickets are coach with cheepo booking classes.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Sure, I always post my LH T, L, E, U and W class flights to MP. For transatlantic C class, it's basically a tie. Flights in Y on UA metal should always go to MP. And sometimes, thanks to promos, even flights in paid UA F (and A) should be posted to MP instead of M&M.

Example:
My recent LAX-ORD-SYR-ORD-LAX trip to the ulev MiniDO in A class resulted in 21,000 MP miles. It could even be 21,500 miles in the end.
With M&M and the 325% bonus, I'd only have gotten ca. 16,500 M&M miles.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:16 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Try it for 1 year. Sounds like you've thought it all out. The SWUs alone are great.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by Thomas_B
(...)I'll collect miles with MP and make Premier Executive this year as well in order to become 1K next year a little easier (25% bonus)
You wish!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
As a MP 1P (premier executive) you get 100% redeemable miles bonus on all UA and US flights and LH flights between the US and Europe, but no elite qualifying bonus. So you would still need 100K EQMs to qualify for 1K in 2007.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Sure, I always post my LH T, L, E, U and W class flights to MP. For transatlantic C class, it's basically a tie. Flights in Y on UA metal should always go to MP. And sometimes, thanks to promos, even flights in paid UA F (and A) should be posted to MP instead of M&M.

Example:
My recent LAX-ORD-SYR-ORD-LAX trip to the ulev MiniDO in A class resulted in 21,000 MP miles. It could even be 21,500 miles in the end.
According to this there is no mileage accrual for L or T fares within Europe. Have you gotten credit for them, flysurfer?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: LH HON, Qantas Platinum, Amex Centurion
UA Miles for L,T on LH metal?

Originally Posted by flysurfer

Example:
Are you sure to earn UA miles for L,T and E-Fares on LH metal? I thought they are excepted fares?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by alex0683de
According to this there is no mileage accrual for L or T fares within Europe.
In reality there is...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:52 am

interesting...

Just reviewed that link... You earn 100% of miles for Economy travel even if outside the US? Wasn't that 50% a while ago? Also, does anyone know what minimum miles are like on MP for LH flights?

Also, UA lists here 100, 125, 150% for M, C, F, resp. Are these percentages also EQM? Or is EQM only 1x ? How about EQM minimum miles?

It'd be nice if there was a tool where you could convert your LH M&M account history into MP miles, because right now, I have no good feeling of where I'd stand in MP land Since I am ~500 miles away from renewing SEN until 2010, I may consider UA next year (hehe even a bit closer than you, Thomas ).

Thanks

Last edited by sfosenkid; Sep 12, 2006 at 4:43 am
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by andre1970
In reality there is...
You mean flights in L and T are actually credited to UA?

Perhaps I'll have to reconsider my view of UA MP. I've heard that the miles can be hard to use though, like in many US FFPs. Does anyone have firsthand experience with how the availability of awards using MP miles compares to availability when using M&M miles?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Regarding availability, I keep reading how many people have trouble getting award seats on UA. Personally (and it may just be luck), I've booked about 20 award trips between the US and Germany on UA and always was able to get my choice of either an eco or a business award transiting either through IAD or ORD. Lufthansa has a spotless record in my case as well, though.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by sfosenkid
Just reviewed that link... You earn 100% of miles for Economy travel even if outside the US? Wasn't that 50% a while ago? Also, does anyone know what minimum miles are like on MP for LH flights?
500 in coach
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:36 pm

You mean flights in L and T are actually credited to UA?
I have received 500 miles in my MP acct for each of a couple of intra-Germany L (or T) flights.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
According to this...
...don't read that, read this
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
According to this there is no mileage accrual for L or T fares within Europe. Have you gotten credit for them, flysurfer?
What a question. Never ever believe what's on ual.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.