Search

I hate hotel workout rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I hate hotel workout rooms

I enjoy exercise, but can't make myself visit a hotel workout room very often. Why?

1. Too small - unless the hotel was built recently, and even that's no guarantee, the place is a linen closet with mirrored walls. I feel claustrophobic.

2. Not enough equipment - it stands to reason that if the room is too small, it won't hold much.

3. The wrong equipment - to make best use of the space, there's usually some universal monstrosity. It does everything, but only one guest at a time, and takes up the whole floor. If there's ever 2 of anything, it turns out to be a stepper - a device straight out of a Spanish Inquisition torture facility.

4. Smelly and too hot. Too small a room fills up with sweaty body odor in no time. Crank up the heat and it gets pretty rank. Possibly done to keep visits short so it never gets too crowded.

5. Poorly serviced - broken equipment, no clean towels, empty water cooler.

As an alternative, I go for a walk. I like to select my hotels and return to them if they offer access to a trail or sidewalk where I can trot for a couple miles without fear of being mugged or run over.

Anyone else share my disdain for hotel workout rooms?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:28 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I always prefer outdoors and skip the gym completely for the very
same reasons.

Plus I'd rather be outside...
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Yes, hotel fitness centers generally suck. I used to choose my hotels based on which ones had gyms, but I gave up after several stays at hotels where the gyms were worthless. Now I just schedule my travel in short enough trips so I never go too long away from home (so I can work out at my local health club when I want to).

And can someone please explain to me what the hell is up with hotel pools? Why are 90% of hotel pools WAY too short to swim real laps in? I would love to swim laps during my trips, but hotel pools are almost all so small and useless. What's the point of having a pool if you're going to make it that small?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:44 am
In memoriam

To most hotels the important thing about the gym and pool is not that they be good, but that they can be listed in the hotel's "features."

Until there is a way for the prospective exerciser to find out before arrival if the exercise facilities are okay (rather than that they just exist) this will probably not change.

But some hotels do have good facilities, e.g., J.W. Marriott, Bangkok, others have good facilities but want to charge lots extra for them, e.g. Dai Ichi in Tokyo, Biltmore in Santa Barbara.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Yes, hotel fitness centers generally suck. I used to choose my hotels based on which ones had gyms, but I gave up after several stays at hotels where the gyms were worthless. Now I just schedule my travel in short enough trips so I never go too long away from home (so I can work out at my local health club when I want to).

And can someone please explain to me what the hell is up with hotel pools? Why are 90% of hotel pools WAY too short to swim real laps in? I would love to swim laps during my trips, but hotel pools are almost all so small and useless. What's the point of having a pool if you're going to make it that small?
A lot of hotels have deals with local health clubs for cheap day passes. Even if they don't you can usually find a cheap day pass in nearly every city. I believe most of the national chains (Gold's, Bally's) allow you to use any of their clubs if you're a member somewhere else.

Being a retired military officer, I also am lucky enough to be able to use a fitness center at any military base.

Concerning your pool question, my guess is that there's a maximum size and/or depth of pool a business can have without having to provide a lifeguard?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:52 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I am usually particularly impressed with W gyms, always nice modern machines, plenty of towels and water, nice atmosphere.

The rest iof the gyms, for the most part resemble what OP has described, unfortunately.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asnovici
I am usually particularly impressed with W gyms, always nice modern machines, plenty of towels and water, nice atmosphere.
And Westin gyms too. Especially since their alliance/partner w/ Reebok.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:25 pm

I've given up and do a power walk listening to an audiobook.

If the weather is bad, I'll even do it inside - going up and down stairs, the length of the hall, etc. Embassy Suites properties are great for this!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:16 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I agree, that in some hotels the workout rooms are not really that good. But to me, every workout room / gym / fitness center is better than not doing some exercises. And there are enough cities, where I would not doing running outside (e.g. Newark , Phoenix in Mid August ). From my experiences, the workout rooms are not that crowded in the early morning, while beetween 18.00 and 21.00 they are sometimes pretty full.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
I prefer to work out in the bar......I've a very strong right arm!

Interpret that how you may
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chexfan
And Westin gyms too. Especially since their alliance/partner w/ Reebok.
I actually like Westin's gyms as well. I also like the "partnership" they've got with Runners World, where most will have maps of local running trails...many of these are downloadable, so I can print it off and have it ready for use right upon checkin. Their equipment is usually really good, and often, they put their gyms in great areas.

Example:
Westin Costa Mesa: the treadmills face a huge window overlooking the pool...which, depending upon the, uh, "scenery" therein, sure beats any view the treadmills at my gym have, and makes for a nice, uh, cardio workout. Yeah..that's it. .
Non-Westin example:
Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires: the gym & pool on the top floor give a GREAT view of the city while you're working out or relaxing in the pool/jacuz.

Aside from these, yeah, most hotel gyms are a sorry excuse for putting "fitness center" on the desrip. I can usually count on their weight machines being poorly built "combo" universal stations, with the pulleys not working. They usually have at least one treadmill that's bearable, and so if I'm not at a Westin, I'll just plan on using that since I can count on the weights not working.

Last edited by skye1; Sep 15, 2006 at 1:46 pm
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
The OP hit it on the head - #1-4 are regular occurrences, 5 less so but still an issue. I hate them, but make myself at least use the treadmill for awhile if I'm away long enough. It's never as good a workout as I could get at home.

My regular gym is part of iHRSA - on occasion, I've found a member gyms nearby and can pay a reduced visitor rate (~$10) and use their facility with all the expected space and equipment available. When it works out, it is very much preferable to what the hotel can offer.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Radisson in downtown Minneapolis has an excellent facility up on the top floor. Nice views, but the equipment is quite nice and rivals a decent gym.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:26 pm

Cry me a river.......................

If you are that serious about working out, buy a one day visit to the gym.

At least the hotel offers a gym, and made an effort for their guests.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Thumbs up

I find the Hilton LivingWell clubs clean and equipped more and more with excellent Precor equipment. If the Hilton has a pool and the LivingWell club it is high on my list!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.