Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emerald Aisle HNL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Emerald Aisle HNL

We will be in Honolulu 10 Jan-21 Jan, has anyone rented from there lately? I am wondering if I stand a chance for a minivan?

TIA
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by Longsx3
We will be in Honolulu 10 Jan-21 Jan, has anyone rented from there lately? I am wondering if I stand a chance for a minivan?

TIA
HNL is flat out the most unfriendly of all the HI stations. I've been through there several times in the last several years and every time but one when I politely asked for a bigger car I was refused. All the other stations (exec elite I am) were more than happy to upgrade me from premium to suv or lux, HNL flat out and smugly refused, on several occasions.

Now, having dissed them I must state that the very last time I rented from them they happily upgraded me. Random event or the start of a trend?
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:41 pm

I rented from them earlier this week. I booked an intermediate and was offered full size (Grand Prix or Malibu) or SUV. EA attendant wasn't unfriendly but I could tell she was ready to go home. I spotted a Corolla and drove off with it. During my rental I was stopped by a cop on the north shore for speeding. When I went for the registration and insurance, I saw that everything on it said Hertz! On top of that, everything was expired. The safety check sticker on the back bumper had been ripped off too. There was no proof that the car was from National. I had no printed copy of the rental agreement because of EA so the cop accused me of stealing the car. I was detained forever (about 1 hr) while he tried to sort things out - probably just to let me sweat. Luckily I was let go with a warning. I think the cop was baffled. When I returned the car. I talked to the manager and was told the Corolla had just been purchased from Hertz on Maui and it had not been processed yet. He said this had never happened before and was very apologetic. He only charged me for 1 day (booked 4 with gas prepaid originally) and pledged to make sure all the cars had proper papers.

Overall I didn't let this experience turn me away from National. I usually get great service and a reasonable price. Just bad timing this time.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:19 am

No EI in HNL. Walk to the lot across the street from baggage claim. (don't take the bus). Sort of a EI matron waiting at an outside booth. She'll (or he'll) point you to a car. Last two times I rented she said, "pick one of the cars from slots 10 - 15." Nothing but full sized - no minivans. I gave her the number, she gave me the keys, i was gone in a few minutes. Not friendly, not mean, just proving service without a smile.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I won't take the chance of not having a Minivan with having my parents with us. I will take $440 rate I got at enterprise and be happy.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:10 pm

Talking Aloha Spirit

I have only had good experiences at HNL Emerald "Booth". As a previous poster said "DON'T TAKE THE BUS!" We waited almost 20 minutes before seeing that the National Car lot was within walking distance. Got to the booth and was greeted with a big smile and a friendly hello. I was instructed to choose any car on the lot. I asked for the Jeep Liberty, he asked me which color. Got in the car and was on our way. ^
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:34 am

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
Typing this at the Hilton Hawaiian Village... leaving tomorrow AM. Rented from HNL National as an Emerald Club Executive. Reserved a Full Size at the Midsize rate. Took everyone's advice and walked from the baggage claim area to the nearest booth. Was offered a minivan and accepted - traveling with my wife and three kids (8, 6, 15 mo.) so very pleased at the upgrade offer.

Now the negative... Chevy minivan with 25K+ miles on the odometer - very long in the tooth and abused. Lots of tire/road noise, poor tracking and vibration through the steering wheel, transmission noise and feel suspect. This vehicle really desparately needs some MX TLC. My wife wanted to tour the island and I was worried that we'd break down... knock on wood so far so good. Will be really happy to turn this dog in tomorrow AM - hope it gets me there OK to make my flight.

Only had two other bad vehicle experiences in seven years of renting from National... once in downtown Denver and later in D.C. (Union Station). Just a report to look out for well beaten vehicles at these stations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.