Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l380
Print Wikipost

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Starwood is opening a new Luxury Collection property on the island of Santorini for Summer 2007. These are the only details I can find on the internet. Starwood has this property in its reservations system but is as yet unbookable.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
There's already the Vedema Resort in Santorini, in the Luxury Collection. Could it be a major refurbishing of that property?

If it isn't, then what does it mean for the Vedema property? I find it hard to believe that SPG would have two properties on the same island...
Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Super Larry
I find it hard to believe that SPG would have two properties on the same island...
Why do you say that?

Sheraton for decades has owned Waikiki Beach....and that's just one beach! Some of those *wood hotels are virtual stone's throws from each other. And they own more high end hotels in Venice than anyone else, etc, etc. How about the two Sheratons across the street from each other near DCA? How about the 2 NYC Sheratons that are in each other's shadow? How about the Sheraton Suites and the 4PTS PHL Airport being adjacent to each other?

Keep in mind, this system works on the profit motive and investment equity program. If *wood can find an enthusiastic, qualified investor to operate a property (or properties) in a market area that *wood's market research team deems viable both in the medium and long terms, there's no reason for them not to approve such a venture.

I think Santorini is a captivating place that, of late, is receiving more visibility than ever and is enjoying dramatic awareness as a reasonbly priced high end experience. It's one of my most favorite places.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
There's already the Vedema Resort in Santorini, in the Luxury Collection. Could it be a major refurbishing of that property?

If it isn't, then what does it mean for the Vedema property? I find it hard to believe that SPG would have two properties on the same island...
SPG may not be involved at all. So far, there is nothing in place that would lead me to believe they are going to participate in the program. Beside this, this resort has 18 suites/villas. I can't see that it will make a great deal of impact on what we have there already.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by sbtinme
How about the two Sheratons across the street from each other near DCA?
There are two Marriotts across the street from each other in Crystal City, but not two Sheratons.

There is the Sheraton Crystal City and the Sheraton National which is (alas) nowhere near DCA.

(It's near the Pentagon, which used to be confusing when there was also the Sheraton Pentagon South... that was nowhere near the Pentagon.)
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:45 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by gleff
There are two Marriotts across the street from each other in Crystal City, but not two Sheratons.
Absolutely correct - I stand corrected. Way too many years on the road! I forgot which affinity program I was talking about there for a moment. Time for bed.......
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
No, the Vedema with 45+ rooms is in Megalohori in the southern half of the island. Mystique is in the northern quarter near Oia.

With just 18 suites/villas, it's not like this is going to put Vedema out of business. It looks like similar properties in the immediate area rent out for 150 - 450 Euro/night.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Gold, UA/AA Commoner
No new info, but here is the URL on the New Hotels site for Starwood.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...ropertyID=3022

Last edited by joeyvegaz; Sep 21, 2006 at 10:32 am Reason: Added explanation
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:53 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by joeyvegaz
No new info, but here is the URL on the New Hotels site for Starwood.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...ropertyID=3022
Finally some encouragement that this resort will participate in SPG:

Starwood Preferred Guest Category 6
I was really getting mixed information on that yesterday.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Good timing for me--

Reports on Vedema are mixed and this sounds interesting:

Overview
Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 15, 2007.

Situated on Oia’s famous cliffs, the stylish Mystique features dazzling views of clear blue equatorial waters, the volcano, and the Aegean Caldera. Surrounded by some of the world’s most beautiful scenery, our resort’s island-style design pays homage to nature in a climate of unabashed luxury. Our ideal location is just 18 kilometers from Santorini Airport and 20 kilometers from Athinios Port.

18 suites and villas are spread across more than 2,000 square meters, providing a sensorial experience in surroundings of understated elegance. All accommodations are lovingly handcrafted from wood, local stone, and glass with enticing patterns carved into the walls. Antique textiles and plump, luxurious towels will wrap you in their warmth and comfort.

Spend the day beneath the clear blue sky in our outdoor infinity-edge pool. Slatted wooden decks that lead to the plunge pool are surrounded by sun beds for the utmost relaxation. Gather together for a casual drink or delicious meal at the Aura pool bar, the Charisma gourmet restaurant, or Secret wine cave.

Mystique is a natural, exclusive retreat reserved for only the most discerning of travelers.

It's a category 6.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Oia is, without question, the most beautiful place I have ever traveled to. My wife and I spent our honeymoon there at the Sea Captain's House, which was wonderful, but if Vedema had been closer to Oia we would have stayed there in a heartbeat.

I now have a new goal for using my *points! Hmm...five nights in a category six...just 44k and change to go But I'm on night two in the Sheraton Four Points Chelsea and who knows what more work travel will bring.

Originally Posted by damon88
Good timing for me--

Reports on Vedema are mixed and this sounds interesting:

Overview
Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 15, 2007.

Situated on Oia’s famous cliffs, the stylish Mystique features dazzling views of clear blue equatorial waters, the volcano, and the Aegean Caldera. Surrounded by some of the world’s most beautiful scenery, our resort’s island-style design pays homage to nature in a climate of unabashed luxury. Our ideal location is just 18 kilometers from Santorini Airport and 20 kilometers from Athinios Port.

18 suites and villas are spread across more than 2,000 square meters, providing a sensorial experience in surroundings of understated elegance. All accommodations are lovingly handcrafted from wood, local stone, and glass with enticing patterns carved into the walls. Antique textiles and plump, luxurious towels will wrap you in their warmth and comfort.

Spend the day beneath the clear blue sky in our outdoor infinity-edge pool. Slatted wooden decks that lead to the plunge pool are surrounded by sun beds for the utmost relaxation. Gather together for a casual drink or delicious meal at the Aura pool bar, the Charisma gourmet restaurant, or Secret wine cave.

Mystique is a natural, exclusive retreat reserved for only the most discerning of travelers.

It's a category 6.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I am not finding this hotel either on spg.com or on the URL posted by joeyvegaz. What am I doing wrong? We have a trip to Greece planned for the end of May and would like to try to use SPG points to stay there.

Edited: nevermind, it works now.

Last edited by Richard1148; Nov 10, 2006 at 8:56 am
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by damon88
Good timing for me--

Reports on Vedema are mixed
Vedema is one of the top of the top Starwood prop's in my opinion. Fond memories!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nroscoe
Vedema is one of the top of the top Starwood prop's in my opinion. Fond memories!
interesting. flyertalk reviews are VERY mixed on this property. when were you there? did you find it too remote? did you miss not having the famed views?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:23 pm

Post link down again --- at least for the moment

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I am not finding this hotel either on spg.com or on the URL posted by joeyvegaz. What am I doing wrong? We have a trip to Greece planned for the end of May and would like to try to use SPG points to stay there.

Edited: nevermind, it works now.
Hmm -- at 10:22pm eastern time on 11.10.06 it aint working. Perhaps it's being updated?? I'll check it tomorrow. Odd -- I've never had a known link for a starwood hotel not work -- this is NOT on my end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.