Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2002, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

What does this Westin do for Golds? Upgrade? do they have Executive Floor or Lounge? Any recomendations?
Old Dec 4, 2002, 4:33 pm

I've stayed here well over 150 nights as Platinum, and I've only had a suite upgrade twice. They have "Preferred" floors, but I really see no difference from the other floors other than they are higher up. They used to have a fruit bowl on the table as you exited the elevators on the preferred floors, but even now it is gone. The Pinot Provence restaurant that is attached to the hotel is usually excellent. I know there was a major change with kitchen staff (they lost the chef), so I can't really comment on it anymore. I stay in socal all the time, but I was very upset over my last stay, so I decided not to stay there anymore. Too bad as it was so convenient for me... but I think it's still a good bet for most folks.
Old May 31, 2003, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Upgrade experience at Westin South Coast Plaza

Can you guys relate your Platinum suite upgrade experience at the Westin South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA?

Do they have a Club lounge or anything like that at the hotel?

Thanks FT’ers
Old Jun 1, 2003, 5:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Can you guys relate your Platinum suite upgrade experience at the Westin South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA?</font>
None, zip, nil. Ever.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 5:47 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I (Plat) did get an upgrade to a junior suite on a one night stay in April. The suite is basically two adjacent rooms, one with a sleeper sofa. The room was on a smoking floor though. IMO not really worth "begging" for.

The hotel has direct access to the very good restaurant "Pinot". Absolutely worth a try.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 5:47 am

BTW, sometimes I park across the street in the mall parking lot in order to avoid the self-park garage. If there's an event at the hotel or at the arts center next door, valet parking can get overwhelmed.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've had the junior suite that AAEXP mentioned. I have also had one of those "office" rooms. I like both... I am not sure if this property even HAS any traditional suites.

I've gotten away with parking in the garage without being charged but agree with Kitty Hawk that both the valet AND the garage can be a mess when there is an event next door.

BTW Lurker - if you see this... SPG really needs another property or two in South Orange County... a nice new Four Points by SNA, for example, would be lovely. Hilton properties have been getting ALL of my business south of Anaheim lately.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:25 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

This was one of the first properties I ever gave up on with Starwood years ago.
Not that the property is bad per say it has/had some very nice qualities about it.
SPG treatment was not a strong point sadly at the time.
Not being able to accomodate its top tier guests in a fair or meaningful way puts them at a significant disadvantage
Keep in mind this was at least 2 years ago.
Perhaps things have improved??
Or perhaps not
I got less then satisfactory treatment for 40 stays with Starwood at this property then 10 when I was a Westin Gold Premier.
I asked what possibilities for a Plat upgrade would be available at the time of check in and they replied you will have a complimentary fax machine in your room with a straight face.
I asked what gold tier members recieved and once again I was amazed ,complimentary bottled water ,and robes
I joked with them and said let me see if I can get downgraded with my elite status.

I brought this concern to their attention before my next stay with them.

Upon check in on the next stay I was filled with anticipation to the see if any progress had been made.

Heres how it went
The start went well we have blocked you in a suite or if you prefer we can put you in a newly renovated guest room
So I turned to the agent and said let me translate this.......
I have a choice of a an old tired worn suite nobody would want or a nice new guest room ?
I think I left her speechless and she smiled
She said why don't you have a look and see for yourself.
And I did decide the guest room was superior in every way
The suite if you dare call it that were
2 rooms connected to each other old, tired, and well past their prime to be polite.
The two connecting rooms (excuse me suite must by now I assume be renovated.

FYI No newspaper any morning at this property
and a number of minor but annoying housekeeping problems. Sigh.........

Upside nice upscale dining choices in house and walk to one of the United States best shopping malls
Anyone know if the health club is still in a tent by the pool ? A lot of the equiptment was rusting.......
Hopefully they are doing the right thing for their business plan as much more competition has announced plans to build new properties and renovate at a variety of the different branded properties in the area......
Many happy Platinum upgrades all...........

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel Club Gold
U/A 1k
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:47 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
The one and only time I stayed here on an award stay, I (well actually booked the room for some family that was visiting) was given one of the junior suites mentioned above. Even though I live in the area, I agree that SPG does lack precense of a Starwood properties. But Orange County hotels are really not doing too well (specially in the Irvine business area) with occupancy really low and I don't think there is enough business to support another property in the area. Starwood could have gotten away with a nice beachfront Westin in Hungtington Beach, but Hyatt and Hilton beat them to it. I suppose a 4-points in the Anaheim area should be able to get enough business. OC has had several new openings in the mid-high (Doubletree in Santa Ana, conversion of former Doubletree to Hilton, St. Regis in Monarch Bay, Hyatt & Hilton in Huntington Beach come to mind) range over the last few years and reports are they are not doing too well.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Thanks everyone for your superb responses.

I would agree with all you, as my several stays at the Westin Santa Clara have not been memorable, and I was never upgraded to anything (I was not Platinum then).

Agree completely that Starwood needs to a super property here. Whenever I'm in the area, I've been staying at the Hilton Costa Mesa ;-)

OK, since everyone is so down on the Westin Costa Mesa, any recommendation for a nice property with a good record for Platinum Suite upgrade in the Orange County area?

Thanks guys and gals.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I hate the Four Points Fullerton/Anaheim.

If I'm doing Starwood, I can't afford the St. Regis Monarch Beach so it is either Westin South Coast Plaza or the Sheraton Anaheim. That property is a bit threadbare but I always get a huge suite.

I've mostly been doing Hilton properties... the Doubletree Suites in Dana Point or the new Doubletree Irvine Spectrum are both great.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
I've been MIA from the board for a while, but saw this thread and wanted to relay a recent and outstanding experience at the Westin South Coast Plaza...

Excellent job by Simone Dulles and William for their help in addressing an email I sent and for hooking me up on an upgrade request for a good friend's going away party.

I was upgraded to one of the "luxury suites" which was large, very nicely appointed, and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived . The regular rooms are very nice; but the suites are extremely nice. Very modern. Very luxurious. "Modern luxury", one might say--if one were so inclined.

I'm out of that area for the next few weeks, but looking forward to return trips in the near future.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:45 pm

Dear wildblueyonder,

I am curious as to when was your "recent and outstanding experience at the Westin South Coast Plaza"?

I am particularly interested in the part about "upgraded to one of the "luxury suites" which was large, very nicely appointed, and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived" HOW did you do that? Did William intervened on your behalf?

Your post ran totally counter to the posts on this thread that I started, so could it be that the hotel has undergone a major renovation? Could anyone else confirm all this, please?

You have given me lots of hope for my upcoming stay there, and I sure hope that I will not be let down ;-)

Thanks in advance for these minor clarifications.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wildblueyonder:
I've been MIA from the board for a while, but saw this thread and wanted to relay a recent and outstanding experience at the Westin South Coast Plaza...

I was upgraded to one of the "luxury suites" which was large, very nicely appointed, and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived . The regular rooms are very nice; but the suites are extremely nice. Very modern. Very luxurious. "Modern luxury", one might say--if one were so inclined.
</font>
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sapguy:
Dear wildblueyonder,

I am curious as to when was your "recent and outstanding experience at the Westin South Coast Plaza"?

I am particularly interested in the part about "upgraded to one of the "luxury suites" which was large, very nicely appointed, and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived" HOW did you do that? Did William intervened on your behalf?

Your post ran totally counter to the posts on this thread that I started, so could it be that the hotel has undergone a major renovation? Could anyone else confirm all this, please?

You have given me lots of hope for my upcoming stay there, and I sure hope that I will not be let down ;-)

Thanks in advance for these minor clarifications.

</font>
To answer your questions... This happened in the last month or so. I don't believe that there has been a major renovation to the suites in the hotel... From what I understand, this hotel has two types of suites: Junior Suites and Luxury Suites. The junior suites are nice... basically two rooms joined together. The luxury suites are what you'd typically think of as suites... with the dining room, the wet bar, upgraded furniture, etc. Very impressive.

In general, my Platinum experience at this hotel was that I didn't get upgrades to suites, but regularly got nice rooms on the higher floors regardless of which rate I booked. Anecdotally, every time I've checked into the hotel, I hear other people getting asked whether they want the 500 point bonus; so I tend to think there are a lot of Starwood "high rollers" cruising around that place.

I believe the suite upgrade (for this special occasion) was a result of a request I made directly to the hotel management staff, facilitated by our top notch Lurker. Starwood has always been great to me on the handful of occasions where I've asked for something a little special. Keeps me coming back!
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:12 pm

Westin South Coast Plaza Report

I just had a one night stay at the Westin South Coast plaza. One of my best experiences at a Westin.

I called the manager last week to see if I could get upgraded as a Gold member to a preferred room. I also told her it was a very special occasion for me and my girlfriend. She said she would take care of it.

When I arrived and went to the check out counter, I was told I had been comped an upgrade to a luxury suite. Last time I was here, I was delighted to find myself in a junior suite (basically two rooms connected). But this time, the manager went one step further and upgraded us to a Pacific Suite. Absolutely gorgeous with a chocolate on the bed to greet us. It included a dining room, living room, and bedroom. Not bad for just a gold member. The bathroom was just the same size as usual rooms but still clean and very refined. The suite was decorated with very modern and tasteful pictures with silver or black frames (I love those kinds of pictures). Everything in the suite was moderm and sophisticated with the full set of couches being an olive green, the dining room possessing a large solid black table and chairs. I enjoyed it very much.

Right across the street was a superb mall that me and my girlfriend always shop at. From Cartier to Gucci to Louis Vuitton to Mikimoto, we had a wonderful time there. We ate at Maggianos, where I made a 8:30 reservation. When I finally got in at 9:15, I told the waiter jokingly" do we get comped something for waiting an extra 20 minutes?" He ended up being the manager and said "we'll take care of yah." That he did in comping our appetizer (calamari) and dessert (Tiramisu).

Just a few things I noticed. I know that it has been discussed before but they don't have a launge for SPG members which was intriguing. However, when I had asked to use the business center, I was informed that it would cost 15 dollars per HALF HOUR to use the internet. I was amazed. It cost 9.95 for a package that they we're offering where for an entire day. If they don't have a lounge, they should at least cut down the cost of the internet in the business center.

Overall, the staff was very helpful, the room was great, the manager was extremely nice and generous, and the location is wonderful with the south coast plaza right across the street. The environment is very posh and upscale. I would recommend this hotel anyday, especially for travelers flying into John Wayne Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.