Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overbooked Volunteers....Beware!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 6:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: South Deerfield, Ma., AA Plat, Hilton gold, Starwood gold, Marriott silver
Overbooked Volunteers....Beware!

I should have learned my lesson the first time when I volunteered my seat on an overbooked flight and received a $200 Delta voucher. It was a short flight with minor inconvenience.

When making a reservation using the voucher, I learned that it had to be processed at the airport or a Delta Ticketing Office within 24 hours of the reservation. For me, an inconvenience as the airport is 1 hour away. AA allows you to mail in vouchers after making reservations. Not so Delta!

I bit the bullet and traveled to the airport.

It was a simple transaction; 1 ticket on one voucher and I owed a few dollars.

I couldn't resist the 2 hour inconvenience on an Oct. flight that was offering $400 vouchers and there were two of us. However;
I was not prepared for the additional "rules" that came into play when I went to use these two vouchers.

I made the reservations over the phone with a very nice Delta representative and told her upfront that these were vouchers. She put 3 reservations on hold.

I was prepared for the trip to the airport to process the reservations...3 people (2 with the same itinerary and 1 with a multi segment trip). I traveled to the airport on Thanksgiving weekend, Sat. during what I expected to be a "quiet time". It was!

The Reservation Agent was very nice, but spent a long time reviewing the "rules" associated with the voucher. This was a standard bump.

The first ticket was processed. No problem. I was then told that the vouckers could not be combined. (Unlike AA) The second reservation was processed, a more expensive multi segment trip on the second voucher. The third reservation was processed with the "leftover" voucher from the first ticket, but I had to pay the difference since the $93 that was "left over" from the second voucher could not be applied.

The final straw was an unexpressed "rule" that the voucher that remains from the "cannot-combine" voucher has to be issued in the name of the passenger (who is my daughter) even though the original voucher was in my name. What is the problem?

My daughter is away at school and will never use the "left-over" voucher and I was the traveler, so in order for the new voucher to be used, the person to whom it is issued must make the trip to the airport or ticketing office to apply it.

I'm not sorry we took the "bump", but I do say: VOLUNTEER BEWARE! We ended up paying $97 for 3 tickets and have a voucher for $93 in my daughter's name. Still a good deal, but not as agreeable as some other airlines make it. The "rules" are not fully stated when Delta is looking for volunteers. It may look like the voucher is as good as money, but you may be disappointed when it comes to actual usage.

Just another way that Delta Management defines the rules. I know we can't shoot the messengers as the people I talked to were nice, but I shouldn't have to get to the last minute to understand that they've written "rules" I don't know about.

Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

How ironic.

One receives vouchers in return for voluntarily inconvenience to help Delta Air Lines on an overbooked flight.

In return for the inconvenience experienced at the time of the issue of the voucher, one is “rewarded” with additional inconvenience to redeem said voucher.

I suppose in most cases it is worth 200 Delta Dollars (there is a reason why they are called Delta Dollars, I suppose, instead of simply Dollars), as I have voluntarily accepted vouchers in exchange for being bumped off of an overbooked flight, but Delta Air Lines should relax some — if not all — of the rules regarding redemption of vouchers which are supposed to reward passengers for assisting Delta Air Lines on overbooked flights.

I remember the days when the vouchers were for a free flight round-trip anywhere Delta Air Lines in the continental United States and Canada, but I suppose vouchers are not immune to being “enhanced”...
Old Dec 1, 2003, 8:06 pm

Programs: TK*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
I remember the days when the vouchers were for a free flight round-trip anywhere Delta Air Lines in the continental United States and Canada, but I suppose vouchers are not immune to being “enhanced”...</font>
Some of us would rather have the $200 Delta Dollars than the free flight. I cannot get used to the idea of flying without earning miles so I'd take the DL$ over a free ticket every time.

Old Dec 1, 2003, 8:30 pm

An opportune moment to rehash a blast from three years ago.... (I'm too lazy to find a link to the thread but I have the text sitting here).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Dear Valued Skymiles Member,

Please be assured that we never overbook flights unless we have more passengers who want to travel than we have seats for. This very rarely happens since most of our passengers are what we call "non-revs". These are people that we pay to dress up in nice clothes and ride around the country for free on our planes so that we can pretend they are full and keep our Platinum Medallions at the back of the plane where they belong.

However, in the unlikely event that your flight is overbooked, rest assured that our highly trained gate agents who are wearing their brand new uniforms (do you like them? I picked them out myself! They go nicely with our Aeroflot cloned tails) will take steps to ensure your maximum inconvenience.

For starters they will try to convince you that you want to fly on another flight. Sometimes they will even let you do this for free, but usually they charge you $75 for this because of my "No Waivers No Favors" policy. We are the industry leader in keeping low change fees though; that nasty Cousin Gordon at Continental raised his to $100.

If this fails, they will try to buy you off with as little money as possible. This isn't real money of course, just what we call "Delta Dollars". It is like playing "Monopoly". You can use these Delta Dollars to buy a ticket on a future flight that we will then cancel and blame it on the pilots. We will give you even more Delta Dollars then. The object of the game is to wind up with the most Delta Dollars by the time they expire, at which time you lose. You cannot win this game, only we can do that. Isn't it fun?

There are two types of low fares in our system. They are called the "L" fare standing for "Low" and the "U" fare standing for "U should be grateful that we are selling you a ticket at this price". If you are on either one of these fares, then shame on you Valued Skymiles Member. While we are "honored to have your business", we cannot let you get away with taking our Delta Dollars. Our elite Revenue Protection Unit (they are so cool that they get the new uniforms first!) will audit you and take away all your Skymiles saying that you only booked the ticket so that you could take our Delta Dollars away.

Valued Skymiles Member, thank you very much for your interest. If you would like another form reply to this question, do not hesitate to contact us via our website at www.delta.com (we paid a lot of money for this website too, which explains our "Fuel Surcharge" last year).

Sincerely,
Your Friendly Uncle Leo</font>
Old Dec 1, 2003, 9:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
An opportune moment to rehash a blast from three years ago.... (I'm too lazy to find a link to the thread but I have the text sitting here).

Dear Valued Skymiles Member,

Please be assured that we never overbook flights unless we have more passengers who want to travel than we have seats for. This very rarely happens since most of our passengers are what we call "non-revs". These are people that we pay to dress up in nice clothes and ride around the country for free on our planes so that we can pretend they are full and keep our Platinum Medallions at the back of the plane where they belong.

However, in the unlikely event that your flight is overbooked, rest assured that our highly trained gate agents who are wearing their brand new uniforms (do you like them? I picked them out myself! They go nicely with our Aeroflot cloned tails) will take steps to ensure your maximum inconvenience.

For starters they will try to convince you that you want to fly on another flight. Sometimes they will even let you do this for free, but usually they charge you $75 for this because of my "No Waivers No Favors" policy. We are the industry leader in keeping low change fees though; that nasty Cousin Gordon at Continental raised his to $100.

If this fails, they will try to buy you off with as little money as possible. This isn't real money of course, just what we call "Delta Dollars". It is like playing "Monopoly". You can use these Delta Dollars to buy a ticket on a future flight that we will then cancel and blame it on the pilots. We will give you even more Delta Dollars then. The object of the game is to wind up with the most Delta Dollars by the time they expire, at which time you lose. You cannot win this game, only we can do that. Isn't it fun?

There are two types of low fares in our system. They are called the "L" fare standing for "Low" and the "U" fare standing for "U should be grateful that we are selling you a ticket at this price". If you are on either one of these fares, then shame on you Valued Skymiles Member. While we are "honored to have your business", we cannot let you get away with taking our Delta Dollars. Our elite Revenue Protection Unit (they are so cool that they get the new uniforms first!) will audit you and take away all your Skymiles saying that you only booked the ticket so that you could take our Delta Dollars away.

Valued Skymiles Member, thank you very much for your interest. If you would like another form reply to this question, do not hesitate to contact us via our website at www.delta.com (we paid a lot of money for this website too, which explains our "Fuel Surcharge" last year).

Sincerely,
Your Friendly Uncle Leo
</font>

Excellent! I’ve not seen this before. Thanks for sharing...

Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:15 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I would much rather have a free, no-mileage roundtrip ticket than a $-off voucher.

I wouldn't even consider volunteering on a Delta flight unless the offer is at least $600.

In terms of miles earned on the free trip, the best case scenario for a $200 voucher is a 4,000 mile roundtrip with a 100% Gold/Platinum bonus. If you value 8,000 SkyMiles at 2 cents each, your $200 voucher is worth $360 to you. I can find plenty of itineraries that cost more than $360 roundtrip.

------------------
"It's as easy as 1, 2, C" -- Kelly, Married With Children

[This message has been edited by JS (edited Dec 01, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:44 am

Dapper6 Everything you said is correct, However you failed to mention the dont use international vouchers for domestic trips rule and the you can't use web fares rule and the you can't get the online booking bonus and the voucher holder must be present to redeem the voucher rule and the even though rules say the leftover balance is given in MCO we apply VDB rules to the MCO rule.

I think their friends at AMEX had to help them scheme up all these rules. There is no way Delta could decieve customers this well without some help from their friends in the deceptive advertising department at AMEX.

Imagine the reaction if someone handed a copy of this thread to everyone in the volunteer line.

Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jerry crump:
Imagine the reaction if someone handed a copy of this thread to everyone in the volunteer line.</font>
...then passengers would probably think that the voucher offer in exchange for being voluntarily bumped would be a sew-sew offer at best.

To needle passengers contemplating a voluntary bump at the airport by presenting them with this thread may not be such a bad idea. Some passengers might actually laugh so hard that they would be in stitches.

However, the important point is that passengers see the pattern that Delta Air Lines uses regarding the voluntary-bump-for-voucher method, solely for their favor.

Thith thread maketh the point of the voucher tacticth tho thimble to underthtand!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:22 am

As I understand it, when you give a bump voucher to someone else, you give the entire amount to that person. You cant give them 10%, and you keep 90%, or go 50-50, or something like that...they get the entire thing. So whatever is left over after buying a ticket is theirs as well, because you bequeathed them the entire value of that voucher.

The only way I can think of getting around this is instead of accepting one $400 voucher, ask for 4 $100 vouchers. Then you can pass those out, and not lose too much.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: South Deerfield, Ma., AA Plat, Hilton gold, Starwood gold, Marriott silver
I forgot one additional "rule" that the reservation agent told me as she handed back the unused voucher!!!

It was dated Nov. 29th and I assumed it was good for 1 year from date off issue (standard practice) Oh, no!

"Now remember," she said. "This must be used and the flight completed by the expiration date on the original voucher."

"Is that date on here?" I asked. Oh, no!

"You must remember the date yourself," she said.

Kindly she pulled out the original voucher and I wrote the October date on my (daughter's) new voucher.

Can you imagine! When I got home I read every tiny word on the voucher and there truly is NOTHING on it to tell you when it expires. I assume the original voucher number will key the agents to the expiration, but the consumer will have no clue. BTW, AA reissues an unused voucher and extends its life for another year. They even let you book up to the expiration date and fly later.

Way to go, Delta!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:27 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
But do they hold the fare for you while you make the drive to the airport?

I would hate to be counting on a $220. round trip U fare and when I get to the airport all the U seats are gone and I have to pay $350. for M class seats.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Took four Delta segments so far this year. Tried to volunteer on all of them and did not succeed in getting any voucher at all.

Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:50 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AllanJ:

Took four Delta segments so far this year. Tried to volunteer on all of them and did not succeed in getting any voucher at all.

</font>
Holy cow, you flew four Delta segments this entire year? And you didn't get bumped from any of them?

Methinks you overestimate the probability of being voluntarily bumped by an enormous margin.

------------------
"It's as easy as 1, 2, C" -- Kelly, Married With Children
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:14 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
I just got 3x$400 Delta voucher from thanksgiving bumping. I have a few questions about using these vouchers after reading the above:

1. If I want to buy a BWI-HNL ticket which is worth $600, can I use two $400 voucher to pay it and got $200 back as MCO? Or I have to pay $200 with one $400 voucher.

2. If I can get $200 back as MCO, then can I use it along with another $400 voucher to buy two BWI-SEA tickets which is worth $300 each? Or I have to pay $100 for one ticket and get $100 MCO back?

Thanks!

------------------
Phil, U of Illinois and O'hare are always in my mind!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ananas:
As I understand it, when you give a bump voucher to someone else, you give the entire amount to that person. You cant give them 10%, and you keep 90%, or go 50-50, or something like that...they get the entire thing. So whatever is left over after buying a ticket is theirs as well, because you bequeathed them the entire value of that voucher.

The only way I can think of getting around this is instead of accepting one $400 voucher, ask for 4 $100 vouchers. Then you can pass those out, and not lose too much.
</font>
You can't hand them to somebody you must personally go to the airport and ticket for your friend.

As for asking for 4 $100 vouchers remember if your next purchase is for $450 you can't combine the four and ad $50 you can only use one and kick in $350 cash.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:44 pm

I hereby declare that the name for the certificate used for compensation for voluntary bumping from an overbooked flight on Delta Air Lines be officially changed from voucher to Oucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.