Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: SPG to UA Transfer 2006 - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: SPG to UA Transfer 2006 - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Exclamation FAQ: SPG to UA Transfer 2006 - [Master Thread]

United has anew hotel program that shows transfers of *wood points to miles as 1:1 rather than the customary 2:1. Anyone know if this change is for good and why the *wood site has not been updated?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Where did you read this? (link?)
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:09 am
Original Poster

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51624,00.html
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:02 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
SPG WEbsite April 2

Transfer: Airlines

Listed below are the frequent flyer programs to which Starwood Preferred Guests can transfer Starpoints® - up to 99,999 Starpoints per program! (Please note the 99,999 maximum includes any 5,000 per every 20,000 Starpoints transferred bonus; therefore, only a maximum of 79,999 may actually be used from your account. Also, certain airlines set their own limits, and that the exchange rate varies by airline.) Plus, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred, Starwood will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints to the total - making a free flight that much closer.

Start turning Starpoints into frequent flyer miles. Click "Join Now " to enroll in Starwood Preferred Guest today!

Frequent Flyer Program Exchange Ratio(Starpoints: Miles)

Aeroplan/Air Canada Call Customer Contact Center
Air China Companion 1:1
Air France/KLM Flying Blue 1:1
Air New Zealand & Air Points 65:1
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan 1:1
Alitalia Mille Miglia 1:1
All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club 1:1
America West Airlines FlightFund 1:1
American Airlines AAdvantage 1:1
Asiana Airlines 1:1
British Airways Executive Club 1:1
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles 1:1
Continental Airlines(R) OnePass 1:1
Delta Air Lines SkyMiles (*2) 1:1
Emirates and Sri Lankan Airlines Skywards 1:1
Hawaiian Airlines 1:1
Japan Airlines (JAL) Mileage Bank 3:2
KLM/Air France Flying Blue 1:1
LAN LANPASS 1:2
Lufthansa Miles and More 1:1
Mexicana(R) Frecuenta 1:1
Northwest Airlines WorldPerks 1:1
Qantas Airways Frequent Flyer 1:1
Qatar Airways 1:1
Saudi Arabian Airlines Alfursan 1:1
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer 1:1
Swiss Travel Club 1:1
Thai Airways International Royal Orchid Plus 1:1
US Airways Dividend Miles 1:1
United Airlines Mileage Plus 2:1 VARIG Smiles 2:1
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club 1:1
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
There is apparently a mistake on the United web site. Transfer ratios to United are still 2:1, except of course for Direct Deposit accounts, which remain at 1:1

Thanks for the opportunity to get this fixed.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 9, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: MP Platinum
I had two starwood accounts, a gold one through Amenitti, and a converted merdien account. I did a stay on the amenitti account and there was automatic direct deposit in late March. I canceled the direct deposit when I merged the accounts (thinking the transfers were 2:1) but on closer inspection it was done at 1:1. I think I will accumulate starpoints for now until I can figure the program out and the best value....
Old May 9, 2006, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Airline direct deposit to United is 1:1.

Transfers initiated by an SPG member from their account are 2:1.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gleff
Airline direct deposit to United is 1:1.

Transfers initiated by an SPG member from their account are 2:1.

Now that we have that settled the real question is who (*Wood or UA) will devalue their points/miles less with all of the new "enhancements" they're both making.
Old May 27, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
5000 bouns miles with United?

Keeping in mind the 2-1 ratio for non direct-deposit transfer of starpoints to united miles,

If one transfers 20000 starpoints to United, will the 5000 bonus starpoints also become half to 2500 miles? Anyone who did this could confirm? Or could Mr Lurker confirm this please.

When I called Preferred Guest, I got conflicting info from two different reps and thought I'll ask the experts here.

thx
Venkat
Old May 27, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Yes, it will, just as when Qantas was 1:2, the 5K got doubled.

If anyone converts 20K *wood into 12,500 UA miles, my cousin has some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale !
Old May 29, 2006, 12:23 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
I hope anyone who is contemplating exchanging starwood points for ual miles would make the offer in coupon connection rather than doing a direct exchange.

I'm sure there are a lot of members who would be willing to make the exchange at a better ratio than the 2:1 available directly.

I know I would.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:58 pm

Any guesses as to why the Starwood to UAL conversion is still at 2:1 ? Now that they're out of bankrupcy, shouldn't this go back to 1:1 ? I'm contemplating cancelling Starwood cc and going back to UAL cc. Any guesses or updates?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by pjammin
Any guesses as to why the Starwood to UAL conversion is still at 2:1 ? Now that they're out of bankrupcy, shouldn't this go back to 1:1 ? I'm contemplating cancelling Starwood cc and going back to UAL cc. Any guesses or updates?
If what I heard is correct, you would be doing exactly what they want you to do. Apparently the company offering the UA credit card was upset about the idea of earning UA miles faster on the SPG Amex (with 20k-->25k offer) than the UA card so UA caved in and forced the crappy exchange rate. If I am not mistaken, this company also flooded UA with cash to keep the partnership in place during the bankruptcy.

In any case, even at 1:1, SPG points are still worth more. Although I originally signed up for SPG expecting to transfer them for miles, I soon realized how much better SPG points were and usually use them for hotel stays.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 5:13 am

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
If you want 1:1 SPG to UA go to the coupon connection. You'll get plenty of takers.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:07 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Pjammin, the Coupon Connection (tCC) is an FT forum only for FTers with > 90 days of membership & >90 posts, where FTers offer to trade or give away travel awards & coupons. It is so restricted to keep out people without any connection to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.