Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody fly to SAN?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Anybody fly to SAN?

I'm going to be flying through SAN (arriving on a US flight, connecting to a WN flight) next week, and I have a couple questions.

1) What gates does US use?

2) Can you get to the WN gates behind security?

2a) If not, what's the best way to get to Terminal 1?

thanks...
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SJPaul
I'm going to be flying through SAN (arriving on a US flight, connecting to a WN flight) next week, and I have a couple questions.

1) What gates does US use?

2) Can you get to the WN gates behind security?

2a) If not, what's the best way to get to Terminal 1?

thanks...
US flies into T2 (which is much nicer than T1). There was a time when you could walk from T2 to T1, but I don't know if this still exists. You can catch a free airport shuttle bus outside of T2 that will take you to T1.

There is no way to transfer airside.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Looking at the map it still shows a walkway from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 so I would assume it is still open. I have seen US/HP use gates 34, 33, 23, 20 and other gates to the East of gate 33 when looking at this map. http://www.san.org/documents/maps/SD...Map_062206.pdf
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I'll let you know on my BNA-PHL-SAN-CLT-BNA MR in two weeks.....I'll have 2:04 in SAN.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
All US flights came and went from gates 33 and 34 today. HP operated flights were over in the 20's.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
US lands in T2.. is much nicer than T1.

I think the shuttle is the Red Bus which does the circle between the commuter terminal (unoffically, it's the first terminal there, former PSA terminal, now does flights to LAX for UA/AA) and T1/T2.

WN is on the '2nd half' of T1, there are two rings, each has like 5-6 gates. UA/Frontier/AS are in the right half, WN has the left half all to itself.

Anything more than 2hrs is plenty to do the transfer. Like stated, no airside transfers, gotta go back through security. Security at the WN line at peak times can be a while. When are the flights exactly (date/time)?

If inclined, you probably could just as easily walk the trip between the two terminals...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by civicmon
Anything more than 2hrs is plenty to do the transfer. Like stated, no airside transfers, gotta go back through security. Security at the WN line at peak times can be a while. When are the flights exactly (date/time)?
My flight is next monday. The US flight arrives around 10:20a and my WN flight departs at 11:15a (or so). Think it can be done?

I'm assuming that if I miss the 11:15 flight WN will let me take the next one at around 12:30. I think its called the "flat tire" rule?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5S, Starwood Gold
In the past year, I've probably done about 40 runs from CLT-SAN on US. Even though I've never had to make the trek over to T1 from T2 to catch a flight, I would second the advice from one poster who suggests just walking it. You will most likely park at Gate 33 or 34. If so, this will put you right at the escalator down to baggage claim and the terminal exit. Out the door, you can hang a left and just make a quick walk down to T1.

I believe it will take you longer to catch the bus, circle out of T2, stop at a few traffic lights, wrestle past other folks making their way between terminals, trip over a couple strollers, etc. I've often jumped off the Hertz shuttle at T1 and walked to T2 just because I can get there faster that way.

Good luck!

Jammer
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Agree with the others here.... just walk it. I forgot that the last time I tried to walk it the sidewalk was closed due to construction, but that was years ago. Others are reporting it clear now.

The two terminals are adjacent to each other but the drive between them seems like miles.

Something else to remember.... when you get to T1 check the monitors to find out which gate you use. This seems obvious, but if you just follow everyone through the security checkpoint right after the baggage claim area you may have an unpleasant surprise.

WN has two sterile areas at SAN. Gates 1-2 are at the far end of the terminal past the ticket counters and have their own checkpoint. Gates 3 - 8(??) are closer to the center of the terminal and have their own checkpoint.

Oddly I've flown into gates 1/2 plenty of times, but have never flown out of them. I'm going to kick myself when I don't check the monitors and end up waiting in line at the wrong checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.