Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will AA get decent Business service?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
When will AA get decent Business service?

I just flew over to blighty on American in business - what a crap service, as usual. Luckily it was on one of the older 767's as their business class seats aren't quite as crappy as the newer 777's. And how did AA pull that trick off?

Anyway, connected to BA to India and what a nice ride that was - but we all know their lie-flat seats are prime. What struck me was that they'd switched over to a new blanket - call it a duvet. It was bigger, padded, and warmer/softer.

It can't have cost them a fiver, but they cemented their relationship with me once again.

I do give AA props for finally introducing some new food items - crab cakes and a kind of cheese anti-pasta. Both quite good.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
I just flew over to blighty on American in business - what a crap service, as usual. Luckily it was on one of the older 767's as their business class seats aren't quite as crappy as the newer 777's. And how did AA pull that trick off?

Anyway, connected to BA to India and what a nice ride that was - but we all know their lie-flat seats are prime. What struck me was that they'd switched over to a new blanket - call it a duvet. It was bigger, padded, and warmer/softer.

It can't have cost them a fiver, but they cemented their relationship with me once again.

I do give AA props for finally introducing some new food items - crab cakes and a kind of cheese anti-pasta. Both quite good.

Are you talking about J service or J product?

J service has been good in recent months. I actually prefer AA's service to BA's.

The seat(product) is nothing to write home about, but change is coming. If you you took the time to read some of the threads just below, you would have found out that AA is installing new J seats on their 763s and 777s.

I did not have a chance to test these myself just yet, but the few reports posted are very favorable.....

Enjoy BA!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Prefer AA J to BA J for transatlantic? You must be drinking the AA kool-aid.

While they may be upgrading seats on 767's (based on threads in this forum the 777 may take much longer), currently it is on ONE plane... BA has truly lie-flat on most if not all trans-atlantic flights!

ALL US carriers have a long way to go before they can even hope of matching the level of European carriers (BA, AF, LH, LX, SAS, etc.).

And I fly AA's LHR-LAX frequently, and only their Flagship First comes close to European service. And I would prefer to FLY BA J to AA F anytime!!!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Prefer AA J to BA J for transatlantic? You must be drinking the AA kool-aid.

While they may be upgrading seats on 767's (based on threads in this forum the 777 may take much longer), currently it is on ONE plane... BA has truly lie-flat on most if not all trans-atlantic flights!

ALL US carriers have a long way to go before they can even hope of matching the level of European carriers (BA, AF, LH, LX, SAS, etc.).

And I fly AA's LHR-LAX frequently, and only their Flagship First comes close to European service. And I would prefer to FLY BA J to AA F anytime!!!
good for you, but before you get rabid about your great BA, re-read my post again....

I said I prefer the AA J service, not the seat (at least for the moment)...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by krug
Sounds like you were lucky to snag a ride on one of the new AA J seats – these are what is known as “lie-flat” beds not “fully flat” as are the beds on BA and other premium carriers.

What did you think of them?

In late 2004, BA recovered all their Business Class Club World beds with new softer cushioning (as many had previously complained the padding was a little hard), and introduced darker midnight blue seat covering fabric, as well as a dark “fan” divider, and introducing larger pillows (though still advisable to ask early for a second one if the flight isn’t full).

Around Spring 2005 BA introduced well overdue noise cancelling headphones to J, which now feature on all longhaul trips in both F and J, although unlike the Bose one’s offered on AA these will not be actively noise cancelling until the new AVOD system is installed as like UA the gubbins which performs this minor miracle is located in the seat.

For 2006 BA will announce a whole new Club World seat, the details of which have been pending announcement for some months now, though widely believed to be “next month/November”.

These fully flat bed seats should be rolled out considerably quicker than last time round, without the influence of an economic downturn and 9/11 to hold up implementation, as well as being a simpler change as the floorplan is not rumoured to be changing significantly.

In the meantime, you have had a taste of the other soft service improvements which have been largely rolled out in advance of the new seats, when AVOD, improved lighting, active noise cancellation and provisoin of both Fridge and Microwave in the galley for a broadened hot and cold food offering replacing Raid the Larder.

In the meantime you will notice soft service improvements outlined in more detail in the October 1st thread.

and as expected, here is the commercial....
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrzej
and as expected, here is the commercial....
Andrzej you know better than even paying attention with the unnamed poster who has now gotten into even spreading dis-information (or worse is unable to read )

I do find the starting of this thread paticularly intresting considering the number of similar such and the previously expressed opinions of the OP.

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Oct 16, 2006 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Andrzej you know better than even paying attention with the unnamed " [edited] champagne " poster who has now gotten into even spreading dis-information (or worse is unable to read )

I do find the starting of this thread paticularly intresting considering the number of similar such and the previously expressed opinions of the OP.

mike

Last edited by krug; Oct 16, 2006 at 10:15 am
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:58 am

Anyway, connected to BA to India and what a nice ride that was - but we all know their lie-flat seats are prime.
How did you manage to get a 763 into LHR to connect to BA to India???? AA has only run 777s to LHR for quite some time.

Cheers Mate!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
How did you manage to get a 763 into LHR to connect to BA to India???? AA has only run 777s to LHR for quite some time.

Cheers Mate!
Either National Express or TrollExpress.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:16 am

Programs: QF Gold TG Gold BA Silver SPG Plat IC Amb
Originally Posted by krug
British Airways and now even Delta Passengers Do It Lying Fully Flat

Well DELTA passengers will in 2010
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DataPlumber

Cheers Mate!
Actually they have 763s during the summer from DFW on their extra flight and they have been switching to 763s for periods out of RDU - both into LGW.

Also, OP didn't give routing but I have on OW RTWs flown JFK-CDG-LHR and onwards so possibly OP didn't fly into LHR. We have to ask.

I have 350,000 BA miles (not sure actual flight miles) since December 05 since I switched to BA for my Europe trips (although I'll still make EXP this year too) -- if AA had a better product I never would have switched - particularly considering I have over 5 million AA miles under my belt.

AA is taking some steps with catering but they need to do more.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Real soon. Just wait for it.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by andrzej
Are you talking about J service or J product?

J service has been good in recent months. I actually prefer AA's service to BA's.

The seat(product) is nothing to write home about, but change is coming. If you you took the time to read some of the threads just below, you would have found out that AA is installing new J seats on their 763s and 777s.

I did not have a chance to test these myself just yet, but the few reports posted are very favorable.....

Enjoy BA!

You prefer AA's J to award-winning BA's Club World? Wow... My AA Business Class trips have all been terrible.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I just flew over to blighty on American in business - what a crap service, as usual.
Why do you continue to fly AA if you don't enjoy it?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
I fly AA from Raleigh (RDU) to Gatwich (LGW), take the bus 'round the M25 to Heathrow (LHR), and then catch BA's 777 to Bangalore (BLR).

Really, people, I only stretch the truth on expense reports and the cost of a new skeet gun.

I can honstly tell you that I could give a krep about so-called service if I'm sitting in a kreppy hard pleather chair that doesn't go flat.

Now, if forced to choosed between Qantas and BA's flat beds, I vote Qantas better (much better) in seats and 200% deficit in service quality. So for me I would go Qantas on a night flight (need sleep) and BA on day (need booze and food). (Though I liked the pannini on Qantas. :-)

I fly AA because I have 2MM+ invested, they go direct out of my home airport to London, and everyone connects to the left coast so it's buyers choice, really. (Edit: I fly US Air, British Airway, Lufthansa, Continental, Jet, Deccan, Singapore, Kingfisher, and Delta around 40 time/year in total - they all have pros/cons. I also fly short haul RJ's and inter-continental 2-class domestic carriers on three continents so I have a fair comparison base.)

As for trolling, well, people, except for fun posts (ex: TSA continues to not suck) I got over trolling during the glory days of Usenet. Me old guy, not fool MR fella.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.