Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

A screener told me to "have a nice f***ing day this morning...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat

I could not believe the screeners I encountered this morning at BOS. This goes so far beyond the realm of acceptability... see below for the letter I sent to the TSA, AA's BOS station manager, BOS FSD, and BOS Director of Avaition.

----------------------------------------------

I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the way that I was treated this morning in the first class lane at Boston Logan airport in terminal B. I passed through the lane at approximately 8:30am on Monday, the 16th of October. The woman behind the x-ray machine was telling passengers, "don't be stupid and hold up the line, throw away all of your liquids, gels, and toiletries." The man working the magnetometer turned to her and in mock conversation said, "well what do we care, it's not like we've got any flights to catch today." After passing through the metal detector, my bag was selected for additional screening because it contained tools - all under the allowed length as per the regulations posted on the TSA website. I travel to multiple cities per week as an engineer, and have been doing so for two years. The ban on tools was lifted a year ago, and tools without a blade less than 7 inches long, as well as scissors less than 4 inches long, are specifically allowed. When the screener who performed my bag search ([screener's name]) told me that they weren't allowed, I told him that they were indeed and offered to show him a printout of the TSA website that I carry with me for such occasions. I told him that the TSA website said that they were allowed and that I have never had a problem before, even at that same airport and lane. His response was, "well I work here, and it'd suck not to fly, wouldn’t it?" I was shocked. He then threw the tools into the trash without offering me the opportunity to take them to the ticket counter to have them checked. He then took everything out of my carryon and proceeded to swab-check each individual item, a process which took at least 10 minutes. When he returned, he said, "I have some advice. Don't be a jackass around here or we'll pull you out." I asked him on what grounds he would have me removed, and he replied, "have a nice f***ing day, a**hole."

I understand that screeners are under stress to get many people through security as quickly as possible, but there is absoultely no excuse for this kind of behavior, especially the behavior exhibited by [screener]. TSA screeners are not law enforcement officals and as such do not have the power to detain or eject people from the airport; they must have a uniformed law enforcement offical do it. Threatening to do so when the power does not exist, and especially when the only provocation was a recital of the facts, is both petty and immature.

I am sending this letter to the TSA contact center directly, as well as to the BOS FSD, as well as the BOS American Airlines station manager. I am sure that both parties would be interested to hear how the screeners are treating their customers. As the travelling public has no direct recourse with the TSA, even though the DHS is taxpayer-funded, going through the FSD will ensure that somebody responsible is made aware of the problem.

I look forward to the opportunity for the screeners to be refreshed on what their own policies are, as well as a lesson in interpersonal skills. I trust that this letter will ensure that both are quickly forthcoming. I also do not find it unreasonable to expect a personal apology directly from [screener] for this morning's incident. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
[AA2070]
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:00 am

Please tell me that you took further action. I hope you recovered your tools, called a supervisor over, and caused more of a fuss than writing a letter. Unlike what happens when you "voluntarily" give up banned items this was a case of permitted items being stolen from you. I would have contacted the police and filed charges.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:01 am

<shakes head in disbeleif>
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by AA2070
He then threw the tools into the trash without offering me the opportunity to take them to the ticket counter to have them checked.
You should also file a claim with TSA for compensation for your lost (trashed) tools.

This incident is totally inexcusable; I would have said "screw my flight," called for a LEO, and started filing a police report.

The one time I have gone through BOS terminal B TSA (on a last minute reroute to AA which got me SSSS'd), I found them to be rather arrogant and annoying. The tactic of retaliating against passengers by creating delay via swabbing every conceivable item in the bag (and I bet they did it slowly and with multiple swabs too) is consistent with what I experienced. Contents of my rollaboard that they ETD'd each with individual swabs included: shoes (inside and out), electric shaver (opened zipper pouch and swabbed shaver), outside of rollaboard, inside seams of rollaboard, toiletry kit, and several clothing items.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
And you didn't ask to speak to his Supervisor on the spot? I would have made an absolute scene and demanded compensation for my tools. There would have been hell to pay.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

Did you get your tools back? I wouldn't have stood for them being thrown away.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: just above cargo
Pretty dismal.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by stevenshev
And you didn't ask to speak to his Supervisor on the spot? I would have made an absolute scene and demanded compensation for my tools. There would have been hell to pay.
He "was the supervisor"
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The attitude at Logan (from many employees), is one of the reason I really try and avoid it at all costs.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by AA2070
He "was the supervisor"

This is just such shocking behavior from a TSA member, that I am shaking with rage on your behalf! Nobody should EVER be made to suffer at the hands of someone so stupid. And this is supposed to be the front line against terrorism in the skies? No way. I hope this jerk loses his TSA job and is removed from ever having a customer contact role again. I hope you'll post your replies from all agencies concerned. I am so sorry anyone had to go through this!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:27 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Heads should roll over this one. What a new low for the TSA to sink to.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:27 am

Another good reason to avoid BOS
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold (sigh), Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, UA Premier
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The attitude at Logan (from many employees), is one of the reason I really try and avoid it at all costs.

I was going to say...seems like par for the course at BOS, especially in the American screening line. I had hoped the new screening point would have caused an upgrade in attitudes, as well. But, alas, apparently not.

As for the advice to go get an LEO, yeah. In Boston, writing the letters is the better option. I wouldn't get any local LE involved if I could possibly avoid it. Sort of parochial, typically.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:34 am

Yup, PVD or MHT if you can...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:38 am

Thank you for speaking up.
Please forward your letter to as many places as you can think of:

1. Massport
2. Your congressional representative
3. The Boston Globe

The best thing you can do is to make everyone aware of your experience.

Inappropriate TSA behavior hurts everyone: it's humiliating, it affects tourism, and it affects multiple businesses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.