The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

Companion post to the 10 Best.

I will eat almost anything and usually won't complain. I like pizza and can eat chain product and like it, but recognize that the best pizzas come from small chains and independent shops. So does the worst. I've had 2 really bad pizza experiences and can't name the shops. I figure most of us can add one or two experiences. Please keep this away from individual preferences and more on the subject of inappropriate toppings, filthy surroundings and horrible execution.

1. Back in the mid 80's I ordered a pie from the only pizza shop in Simpsonville, SC where I lived at the time. The sausage used was pork breakfast sausage instead of Italian sausage. Inexcusable. Even though cold leftover pizza is my favorite breakfast, it didn't work in the morning either.

2. In the mid 90's I ordered 2 pies from a new pizzeria in Tracy CA where I lived at the time. They used premade crusts, the consistency of a thick saltine cracker, and indescribable spices. The pizzeria was attached to an Indian restaurant. Despite a house full of teenagers, we threw out more than half. No one ate more than a slice.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Chain places.

I went to a friend's party in Pasadena, CA last year. I was charged with picking up (not ordering, but just picking up) the pizzas from a Little Caesars' off of Colorado Blvd. There were about 10 pizzas, but all of them were very dry, and the crust resembled a dense saltine cracker. They reminded me of baking a frozen pizza too long. We had about 20 people at the party and only 5-6 slices were actually consumed, the rest went into the trash. We complained to Little Caesars, but they pretty much said they'd give us a few vouchers for free pizzas, but no money back.

I've also never been impressed with Papa John's pizza. I think the crust is a little too chewy. Plus a pizza that needs a dipping sauce just doesn't seem all that right.

Steve
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT
Ahh, but chain store pizza which is normally very wrong can occassionally be oh-so-right. You have to be in the right frame of mind for the greasy soggy muck - but when you are: yum!

inappropriate toppings
One of the best pizzas I ever had had a tomato base and cheese on top, with prawns/shrimp and banana in the middle. And, not - that wasn't a late night drunken concoction, but ordered from the menu at a long-established place.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Any pizza joint in any airport, even at ORD!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I have found the worst pizza to be at independent stores,one in Lilburn GA comes to mind.
At least at the chains you have an idea what you are getting.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Great Pizza is at Mata's Greek Pizza and Grinders in Anniston, AL on Quintard. Beware my mother may be driving by.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:34 am

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Al's in Jacksonville, FL. Great place if you like insipid tomato sauce spread over a spongy bread masquerading as crust.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I think Cici's is nasty!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Pizza King in Greencastle, IN. I was a captive customer in college. Cardboard with tomato sauce on top.

Steve
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I would say Little Caesar's and Domino's, but I'm not really sure they actually count as pizzas.

Mike
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
Since it was a few years ago I don't remember the name of the place but it was in Jackson, MS. It made the pizza from Little Caesar's sound like a good idea.

As for inappropriate toppings: http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Had a pizza at a place called Mike's in Seattle, Washington. The pizza was fine but the crust tough and when I got through the second slice, I noticed some mold in the interior of the pizza crust. I induced vomitting

Generally, any Domino's pizza is awful in my book. However, I had a taste of their warm brownies and those were terrific.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drbond
Great Pizza is at Mata's Greek Pizza and Grinders in Anniston, AL on Quintard. Beware my mother may be driving by.
I'm good with Mata's. I have assumed that they are originally from New England, hence: grinders as opposed to subs, hoagies, etc.

A hint: ask them to grill the vegetables before they place them on the pizza and bake it.

My only worries: their health inspection grades are rarely within my comfort zone, the employees look like they were recruited at the local halfway house, the mens bathroom is frighteningly filthy and the building feels like it could fall down at any moment. I prefer to take the pizza home on the off-chance the building decides to collapse that evening.

edited to add: I tend to confuse their small pitchers for mugs. Your mother needs to worry about me if she is driving by as I'm leaving unless I bring one of my kids as a designated driver.

We should get together for a mini-do at Mata's some Friday night.

Last edited by BamaVol; Oct 23, 2006 at 1:15 pm
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec., AC SE, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, member of various and sundry others
About 9 months ago in Cork Ireland, from a US chain shop to boot: Ordered a Pepperoni and Sausage, and was stunned to find a fried egg (sunny-side up) in the centre, and corn niblets spread across it.

About 14 months ago in Amsterdam, from the Crowne Plaza Room Service menu. It had KIDNEY BEANS all over it.

That's just not right ! :-)

'nuff said

Jim
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Had a pizza at a place called Mike's in Seattle, Washington. The pizza was fine but the crust tough and when I got through the second slice, I noticed some mold in the interior of the pizza crust. I induced vomitting

Generally, any Domino's pizza is awful in my book. However, I had a taste of their warm brownies and those were terrific.
OT, but those brownies must vary from shop to shop. I don't think the local Domino's deepfries them in fresh oil. ewwwwww.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.