Search

PBI-FLL Meet: The Serious Version

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
PBI-FLL Meet: The Serious Version

I am starting this thread because the original one has become so long -- and filled with irrelevancies -- that it is no longer possible to find any information in it without a 30 minute search. I fully admit to being as guilty (if not more so) for that situation as anyone else.

Please post only serious replies in this thread.

RECAP

Date: Saturday night, 7:30, May 15. Most people will be arriving the day before and staying one or two additional days. I will be there for a week. Further, informal, gatherings can be arranged on a private basis.

Place: "Tom's Place" in Boca Raton.

From Fodors.com:

'This place is a blessing from God,' says the sign over the fireplace, and after sampling Tom's sauce-slathered ribs that are nothing short of heaven, you may add, 'Amen!' Baby-backs or St. Louis-style ribs can be ordered in half racks or full racks. Also rating raves are fried catfish, collard greens, and corn bread. Pick up a bottle of Tom's barbecue sauce to go, just as have a rush of entertainers and NFL players.

Full details can be found at Post # 36 on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=136

Basically, this looks like a good old fashioned Southern dinner -- although most of us there will be Yankees. (I qualify: I live in Northern Israel.)

Who May Attend: There is no restriction but we ask that you post your intention of coming as early as possible. Those who posted before the April 7 cut off date will be getting the extra goodies mentioned below, but logistics made it necessary to know before-hand.

Who Is Planning on Coming: At current, we have 31 definites and a number of others who have expressed interest. The "definites" are:

Findmeinfirst
Vasantn
Cholula
Mikey1003
BDSchobel
Tolarian Wind
MRKEY
MRSKEY*
Monitor
Mrs. Monitor*
Lofly
KGB
Belle3388*
Indufan
Canarsie
Dovster
DELACPA*
Mr. DELACPA
HatTrick
alhcfp
paradocs*
robertw477
Stagedoor Suzie*
Rbernheim
freshfit
Ms Everywhere*
DLFan
Traveller
Dorlee
SoB
Socrates

(* - confirmed for jewelery)

We would especially enjoy having more people from the South Florida area join us.

Best Airport to fly into: The restaurant is about halfway between FLL and PBI. Some people avoid PBI because construction on I95 can make traffic difficult. Others avoid FLL because the security lines -- if you are not an elite flyer -- are often ridiculously long.

Where to stay: The least expensive place I have found so far is the Ramada Inn on West Hillsboro in Deerfield Beach. I was given an internet price of $44.25 per night. Their "Best Rate Guarantee" eventually lowered this to $34.65 (see first page of other thread for details). This hotel is about 5 miles from the meet. Some others will be staying at the Boca Raton Marriott at Boca Center. They managed to get a $79 per night rate. (For more info, see letters posted below.) This is off season in Florida, so a quick search will get you a long list of hotels at discounted prices.

SkyDine has several hotels in the area where you can earn 5 SkyMiles for each dollar spent, but these tend to be a bit expensive.

General: Cholula has promised to supply each person who signed up in time with a bottle of his famed hot sauce. He will also be supplying other goodies. I am giving a piece of silver Israeli jewelery to the women who made the cut off date. Ten DL Medallion courtesy coupons, good for drinks or earphones will be given out as door prizes.

Bdschobel has agreed to be our official Collector and Bill Payer. As his profession involves higher mathematics, he will tell each of us how much we owe. Please have some small bills available to pay him. He will then get to put the whole thing on his credit card and collect miles. (This is not an Idines restaurant, so his mileage will not be very much.)

Additional meetings:

First Gathering: Friday night, May 14, 10 pm, lounge Marriott Boca Center, Boca Raton. This is a very informal thing for anyone who happens to show up. It will last about an hour and give some of us a chance to introduce ourselves.

Ice Cream Munch: Saturday, May 15, 2 pm, Carvel's Ice Cream, 9213 West Sample Road, Coral Springs. So far, only three of us will be there but if you are in an ice cream mood, come and join us.

For a good insight into the mentality of the people who will be attending, and the kind of atmosphere you are liable to find there, take a read through the thread in this forum with the subject "The Great Delta Board PBI-FLL Meet". http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...809#post622809

Last edited by Dovster; May 11, 2004 at 7:52 am Reason: updating information
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
Cholula has promised to supply each person who signs up by March 31 with a bottle of his famed hot sauce.</font>
Dovster, I will be supplying each attendee with other goodies in addition to the hot sauce. Plus we will have a raffle or drawing for additional upscale items we offer to customers.
While these sort of things add a fun element to the meet, the real reason to come is a continuation of the camaraderie and friendship which has developed on the DL FT Forum.
I look forward to personally meeting many of you in May.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Just reconfirming my "definite" attendance.

Bruce
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Hmm...now you guys have me considering it
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:46 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Hmm...now you guys have me considering it</font>
Is that because some people are staying at a Marriott, socrates?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
Please post only serious replies in this thread.</font>
Whoops — my apologies, Dovster.

I will try to control myself and behave in this thread, but I make no promises about my behavior at the actual get-together...
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Socrates, if you decide to come we would be very happy to have you join us.

Canarsie, I really would appreciate it if you controlled yourself in this thread. I don't want to create another situation where we have a thread which is too unwieldy for people to find information.

As for the meet, I certainly hope that you don't control yourself there.

(If you want to reply to that, please do it in the other thread.)

------------------
Sir Dovster, OBE
(Omni Boycotter Extraordinaire)
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:07 pm
KGB

Programs: DL, Marriott, Hilton
Greetings,

Reconfirming my attendance. I'd like to stay at the Marriott as well, what do we need to do other than contact Cholula? Is there a way to inform the Marriott that we are in that group?

If nothing is posted on it I'll send Cholula an email if its in his profile.

Looking forward to it!

::KGB trying hard to behave and act seriously in this thread::
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:43 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
One reconfirmation please.

Anything to do on Sunday?
(Am trying to figure when should I book for the return.)
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I will be there. It looks like Mrs Mikey will not be able to come.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KGB:
Greetings,

Reconfirming my attendance. I'd like to stay at the Marriott as well, what do we need to do other than contact Cholula? Is there a way to inform the Marriott that we are in that group?

If nothing is posted on it I'll send Cholula an email if its in his profile.

Looking forward to it!

::KGB trying hard to behave and act seriously in this thread::
</font>
No secrets to the $79 rate. I was tipped off by bdschobel a couple weeks ago on this rate. It's a AAA rate available through marriott.com. Just log on asap, check off the AAA rate and go for it. We have not set up a group rate as there are not enough of us and we are staying at various hotels.

Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Hmm...now you guys have me considering it </font>
socrates....I certainly hope you will attend as I'd love to meet you and shake your hand!! May even pop for a drink or two! For those of you not aware of who socrates is, he's the equivalent of our own UDH on the Marriott board. As a Marriott employee in whatever capacity, he provides an steady stream of extremely valuable and insightful advice for those of us in the Marriott Rewards program.

Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:16 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
No secrets to the $79 rate....AAA </font>
From Marriott.com, the lowest AAA rate now is $116.00 for May 15th.

Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:22 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by belle3388:
From Marriott.com, the lowest AAA rate now is $116.00 for May 15th.

</font>
That's odd. I just looked at it for the dates May 14-17 and was quoted $76. When I tried from May 14 to May 20, it was about $120.

------------------
Sir Dovster, OBE
(Omni Boycotter Extraordinaire)
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:51 am

Ok, weird but I tried again and got it.

Marriott Boca Centre, May 15th for $76.00 AAA rate.

Happy.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:54 am
KGB

Programs: DL, Marriott, Hilton
I'm showing $76 too AAA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.