Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing), NY [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing), NY [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing), NY [Master Thread]

Found plenty of topics on JFK Sheraton but no details on LGA.

I'll be flying out early Saturday morning and am considering staying in midtown and taking a taxi or staying at the Sheraton.

Anyone had any recent experience?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's a decent Sheraton inside a mall. They have a shuttle and I've used it to go to both LGA and JFK.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:35 pm

It's certainly not your typical airport hotel, that's for sure.

It's right in the middle of Flushing downtown (Chinatown), a bustling business district. You can even take the subway to get there from midtown Manhattan. Lots of good food in the neighborhood.

The lobby is sad and dispirited, and the bar is a nightmare. The suite upgrade is pretty decent if you're a non-smoker, depressing and run-down if you smoke.

The staff seemed fairly friendly and competent, except for the irascible garage attendant (not a hotel employee). Parking is cheap for NY at $9 a day.

I've never stayed at the JFK Sheraton, but this has to be a more acceptable alternative.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:54 pm

I stayed at the W Times Square last weekend. I took the city Bus to the subway, $1.00, and subway to times square, $1.50. On the return I took a taxi to LGA. It cost $18.00 plus $3.50 tolls. I noticed a sign in the back of the cab that said JFK to Manhatten is a flat $35 plus tolls.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:04 pm

Thumbs up Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing) Master Thread

I stayed at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel two nights early this month. When I check-in, no upgrade is available and I got a king room on 14 floor based on my profile setup, but Platinum amenity was mentioned. When I got to my room, the mattress isn't sleeper bed even there is sign of sleeper bed right on top of night stand. I have been stayed there few times this year and I always get my sleeper bed. I was told the hotel was sold out those two days when I check-in, so I didn't bother to ask for any other room. While checking out, I told front desk that my bed isn't sleeper bed and the lady offered me 2500 points with apology.
Then I filed a complain via web-site asked one question, Why the hotel's web-site says rooms are with sleeper bed and rooms has sleeper bed sign, but it actually not. The GM called me back and apologized with explaination saying the hotel is under renovation. He also offered some points to make customer happy that I wasn't expected for. I told him I will stay there next month and he gave me his number to have me call him so that he will make sure I get a room that already renovated. What a great GM. Sorry to make a long story but SPG staffs do really care about their customer.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:43 pm

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
This is a very interesting SPG property...I feel like I'm transported to some oriental property every time. The staff is polite, the location a bit dodgy, and yet, I like staying here. I arrived one night and realized I had forgot to pack black socks so was directed to the drug store just up from the hotel. They only had women's black ankle hose so did my meeting wearing those....I've never felt so naughty and nice while teaching Time Management before or after.

It has been a year or so, so if they have Sheraton Sleeper beds, that IS an upgrade. I never ate breakfast, ordered room service a few times and knew the bartender my first name. He new my drink (gin and soda w/lime) and I felt at home.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 12:32 am

Thumbs up

Almost one of my home away from homes!

Over the past two years or so I have probably stayed at this property at least 20 times or so. The first two-three times I was there everything was by the book and everyone was curteous. After that, everyone knew my name including the folks they have retained for the parking garage below. I have been informed of local events in the area that I might enjoy if I had the time and have even sat down in the lobby and conversed with the staff many times.

The last few times I have received phone calls in advance of my stay just to let me know that everything is in order and my room will be ready for me anytime I wish to check in that day. I will usually get a phone call two days after I leave to make sure everything went ok with my visit. I also always seem to receive guest surveys after staying at this property. Never anywhere else!

The ATM machine seemed to have dissapeared last time I was there but the front desk was more than happy to cash in a check.

Personally if I do not have to stay in the city for a particular reason then I always end up staying here. ^
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by ylee1969
When I got to my room, the mattress isn't sleeper bed even there is sign of sleeper bed right on top of night stand. I have been stayed there few times this year and I always get my sleeper bed.
I am currently staying at this property, how can I tell if the bed is a sweet sleeper or not? You are right, there is a sign right on the bed stating it is a sweet sleeper. All I know it is not as comfortable as some of the other Sheratons I have stayed at.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Motion122
I am currently staying at this property, how can I tell if the bed is a sweet sleeper or not? You are right, there is a sign right on the bed stating it is a sweet sleeper. All I know it is not as comfortable as some of the other Sheratons I have stayed at.
If there is no mattress top, it is not. Also, GM told me they just finished rooms on 8,9 and 10th floor.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
If there is no mattress top, it is not. Also, GM told me they just finished rooms on 8,9 and 10th floor.
What should the mattress top look like? All I see is a very thin velour type of liner on top of the mattress, not the thick ones I used to see and feel. Plus I woke up this morning with a sore back, which never happens at other properties with the Sweet Sleeper.

Last edited by Motion122; Jul 11, 2004 at 8:19 am
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:29 am

I will be back to this hotel next Wednesday for two nights. I left a voicemail to GM few days ago asking him to assign me a room with sleeper bed. I will update this post when I check-in.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:15 pm

Location, location, location

My ONLY complaint about this property was the misleading use of LaGuardia in the name of the hotel. (JFK North would be about as accurate.) True, they do have a shuttle (during certain hours, at least), but it is REALLY far from the airport (especially during traffic.) In fact, except for the trip from the new Denver airport to the old Stapleton hotels, I'm not sure I've ever had to go that far.

All that said, as a Platinum I've (both stays) gotten terrific upgrades, was promptly offered my amenity at check-in, and found fresh fruit in the room. I'd probably stay there again unless it was going to be a very short night during a weather/cancellation-type layover (and I didn't want to spend the time commuting when the Marriott is right there.)
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:27 pm

It took 10 minutes tops to get to LGA from the hotel. There was some local traffic, but wide open on the highway.

I'm still waiting to get my "No Platinum Benefits" resolved from this property. What really upset me was the false advertisement of Sweet Sleepers. The room I got did not have one even though the web and in-room advertising said so!
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:18 am

I will be back to this hotel next Wednesday for two nights. I left a voicemail to GM few days ago asking him to assign me a room with sleeper bed. I will update this post when I check-in.
I was upgraded to a Suite on 15th floor but it still not Sleeper bed and I don't know what GM did to the voicemail I left him few days before arrival. I didn't file any complain this time because all I got was few points and the promise to fix it which never happen. There are many good SPG hotels in that area and this one is off my list from now on.
The club lounge also needs some help. The door is open without attended and the food is very poor. In the evening, only drink available is coffee and milk. No juice or bottle water. Maybe that's why it doesn't require to be attended.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:31 am

I am sorry to hear that. I still haven't heard from the general manager after my stay on the 10th either! If they are advertising Sweet Sleepers, they should have Sweet Sleepers. Talking about false advertisement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.