Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

OPEN Business Bonus Sweepstakes and Membership Rewards Double Points Promotion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:30 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

This offer is for USA Business cards enrolled in Membership Rewards.

http://www133.americanexpress.com/os...penvan=sweeps1

Received invitation though postal service. Registration required. Double MR points in November, December, January on all spending above the amount of October spending.

Also there is a contest where one might win a $100,000 statement credit. I wonder if they would take back 100,000 MR points from the winner's account?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Sweet. Thanks. I have never seen a promo for business cards, so this is a refreshing change
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IC Amb.
I just registered. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:46 pm

I went to register my business platinum, and it said card was not eligible. I was confused, cause I got a letter about the promotion, but then remembered my costco business card. That was the one!

The best part: I had $0 spend in October, so basically three months of double MR for me.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Thanks! Finally a useful promo for the Business Gold. This gets me through January and lets me properly split my personal/business spending through December while the personal Gold 2x MR promo runs...

I too had $0 spend in October so that works out nicely.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, US, SPG, HH
Strange terms

I noticed this in the terms and conditions for this promo:

"You are ONLY eligible to earn double Membership Rewards bonus points if you are enrolled or become enrolled in the Membership Rewards program during the promotion and were NOT a cardmember as of 10/25/06."

Does anyone think this makes no sense? I welcome attempts at explanation.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by ppisklak
I noticed this in the terms and conditions for this promo:

"You are ONLY eligible to earn double Membership Rewards bonus points if you are enrolled or become enrolled in the Membership Rewards program during the promotion and were NOT a cardmember as of 10/25/06."

Does anyone think this makes no sense? I welcome attempts at explanation.
I read it as:

You are ONLY eligible to earn double Membership Rewards bonus points if you
- Already are enrolled in the Membership Rewards program
- Become enrolled in the Membership Rewards program during the promotion (but only if you were NOT a cardmember as of 10/25/06: so new cardmembers do qualify, but not existing cardmembers who still held non-MR cards after 10/25/06)

The wording is already misleading enough as it is. You're not earning double bonus points, you're earning 1 bonus point per dollar spent which most likely does not stack with other bonuses.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 2:33 am
mia
Original Poster

Q. How do I know if I am eligible for this promotion?

A. This promotion is only available to Cardmembers with American Express Business Cards. For full details of eligibility, please see below, or consult the full terms and conditions at www.open.com/sweeps.

You are eligible to participate in the OPEN Business Bonus Sweepstakes and to earn double Membership Rewards bonus points if you were a Cardmember as of 10/25/06 and you are enrolled or become enrolled in the Membership Rewards program during the promotion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are eligible to participate in ONLY the OPEN Business Bonus Sweepstakes if you were a Cardmember as of 10/25/06 and are not or do not become enrolled in the Membership Rewards program during the promotion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are eligible to earn ONLY double Membership Rewards bonus points if you are enrolled or become enrolled in the Membership Rewards program during the promotion and were NOT a Cardmember prior to 10/25/06.

You are NOT ELIGIBLE to participate in the OPEN Business Bonus Sweepstakes OR to earn double Membership Rewards bonus points if you were NOT a Cardmember as of 10/25/06 and are not enrolled or do not become enrolled in the Membership Rewards program during the promotion.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, DL SM, CO
This 2x promo makes it better then 1x SPG, right?

This is the first 2x membership rewards promo I've seen from Amex on the business card, like ever! So with my $25K monthly spend, it would behoove me to move it over to my Business Platinum Amex from my Starwood Amex for this promo, right?

I also got lucky, only around a $300 spend last month, so looking at 25K X 3 X 2 = 150K pts. I'd say that's a good deal!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:39 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
mia, I *owe you one* for this find. It appears to be a rare, and I mean as in "never seen before" rare, promotion for *business* and *CENT* cardholders as kurtbb also described it just prior to my post...usually either distinction ruled me out of AMEX's "otherwise still rare" double point promotions, so this is a super-gem of a find. It is has been a lesson in economics of who AMEX values...seeing, year after year, double point promotions for the lowest-level (no disrespect intended to GOLD and GREEN cardholders) GREEN & GOLD level cardholders....while AMEX visibly avoided throwing any sort of a bone to we PLAT or CENT cardholders. SO, a bit of refreshing air for the holiday season from AMEX.

For this window of time, this promotion supplants even earning my venerable sspg/amex starpoint, although I admit I usually loathe accumulation of MR points in general due to how anemic they really are when one *does the math*.

So, to previous poster "kurtbb", yes, I agree w/ your analysis that this promo *finally* trumps spg starpoint accumulation for this window of time. I've never seen anything trump the spg starpoint except this (and that includes double airmile promotions, since most arilines now shake us down for double points anyway).

P.S. gleff, singlemalt, and others - re: this current AMEX MR double-point promotion for NOV, DEC, and JAN (threshold = OCT's spend for each month, before double MR points begins)....what are your opinions re: double MR points vs: spg points at 1:1 ? Could you very-well-informed active chargers comment on the logic of focusing all efforts to this one, even trumping spg ? TIA

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Dec 8, 2006 at 8:49 am
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:37 am
mia
Original Poster

American Express is pushing this promotion pretty hard. A link to it appears on my login page at http:americanexpress.com, and yesterday I received a flyer through the postal service PLUS an email reminder...

Remember, you could be earning double Membership Rewards® points from now through January. Register today to start earning double Membership Rewards points. In December and January you can earn double points on all your eligible spending above the amount of your October spending.

Once you register, switch your spending on things like materials, supplies and equipment, and seasonal spending, including holiday travel and employee gifts, to your American Express® Business Card and start earning the rewards you deserve.

Remember, if you register before the end of December, you can earn double Membership Rewards points for all your eligible December spending above your October spending level.

Make your spending more rewarding and register today at open.com/sweeps35. Or visit americanexpress.com and click the sweepstakes link under "Important Announcements."
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:35 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
American Express is pushing this promotion pretty hard.
Remember, you could be earning double Membership Rewards® points from now through January. Register today to start earning double Membership Rewards points. In December and January you can earn double points on all your eligible spending above the amount of your October spending.

Once you register, switch your spending on things like materials, supplies and equipment, and seasonal spending, including holiday travel and employee gifts, to your American Express® Business Card and start earning the rewards you deserve.
POINT 1: IMO< AMEX is failing miserably to 'get the word out"...I have two spg/AMEX cards, the CENT, and am a participating merchant accepting the AMEX in my business for mid-6figures worth of charges as a merchant alone...and I have not heard of this promotion at all...now almost half-way over, were it not for this thread. This is abysmal. AMEX manages to mail me enough junk mail for everything else (annual calendars, junk that I only have to pay the postage for, trip insurance plans, and the list is endless)...yet they manage to fail to send me notice of this doube-point award. Classic AMEX.

POINT 2: Though your post and except above imply only certain charges are doubled...AMEX's FAQ makes it clear ALL ELIGIBLE CHARGES, which is to say all charges (my verbiage), except charges which then turn into refunds, blah blah blah, are elgible. Basically if you charge it and the charge sticks and is not refunded in some way...it should qualify as "eligible". My initial concern was that this was one of those fiendishly-clever grocery store/drug store/gasoline ONLY promotions, which are one of the newest red-herring promotions out here in affinityland. I am now comfortable that all of my charges will count.

Here is thre FAQ excerpt:
Double Membership Rewards® Promotion.

Q. Which purchases can I earn double Membership Rewards bonus points on?
A. Double Membership Rewards points will be awarded on the positive difference between the total amount of purchases in the calendar month of October and in each of the calendar months of November, December and January. For example, if you spend $1,000 in October, $1,200 in November, $1,500 in December and $800 in January, the positive difference in your spending would be $700 and you would earn 700 bonus points in addition to the 3,500 regular points you would have earned for your spending from November through January. Membership Rewards points will only be awarded on Membership Rewards eligible transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.