Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone Know What is “Membership Rewards First”? Did Anyone Else Get a Letter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone Know What is “Membership Rewards First”? Did Anyone Else Get a Letter?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Anyone know what "Membership Rewards First" is?

In my statement (plat) dated 11/2/06:

Membership Rewards
Effective April 15, 2007, your Membership Rewards program account will be upgraded to a Membership Rewards FirstSM program account.
Accordingly, your Card(s) will be enrolled in the Membership Rewards First program and will no longer be eligible for enrollment in the
Membership Rewards program. Enrollment in the Membership Rewards First program is a complimentary benefit of the Platinum Card ,
Ameriprise Platinum Card, Ameriprise Platinum Financial Services Card, Fidelity American Express Platinum Card, Centurion Card, Business
Platinum Card, Business Centurion Card or Corporate Platinum Card account. The number of points you have accrued in your program
account will be unaffected by this change.
No other details at all.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mbreuer
In my statement (plat) dated 11/2/06:

No other details at all.

Interesting...I have been looking through Amex's website for a little bit and I cannot seem to find any mention of this anywhere. I checked the MR T&C and a few site searches. Maybe a "premium" redemption program where we get more for our points instead of .01/point? Sure would be nice if they offered $25 gift cards for 2000 points instead of 2500
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Interesting...I have been looking through Amex's website for a little bit and I cannot seem to find any mention of this anywhere. I checked the MR T&C and a few site searches. Maybe a "premium" redemption program where we get more for our points instead of .01/point? Sure would be nice if they offered $25 gift cards for 2000 points instead of 2500
Somehow, I think that I will not be holding my breath on that one!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enrollment in the Membership Rewards First program is a complimentary benefit of the Platinum Card , Ameriprise Platinum Card, Ameriprise Platinum Financial Services Card, Fidelity American Express Platinum Card, Centurion Card, Business Platinum Card, Business Centurion Card or Corporate Platinum Card account.
bottom line: Plat and Cent (logically implies it will be better than MR for Gold/Green) Sounds like good news! Just have to wonder how good :P
Old Nov 3, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Hmm, so it sounds like all your cards become Membership Rewards First cards, just like having a regular MR card linked with MR Options cards that then act as regular MR.

I wonder what happens with a Gold Rewards Plus if linked to a Membership Rewards First account.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum
Sounds like good news...

But one should wonder why they eliminated the MR Options program and consolidated MR if they were planning this...
Old Nov 3, 2006, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by a2663171
Sounds like good news...

But one should wonder why they eliminated the MR Options program and consolidated MR if they were planning this...
Could the 2x MR promos that are suddenly popping up in force be a handout to soften the blow of an MR devaluation? Hmm... That could make sense if MR First is somewhat like the current MR program.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 4:08 am

Programs: DL-Plat, CO-Gold, US-Plat, SPG-Platinum
http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...e-ef80be63d18a

instead of buying 100 gift cards to the gap, you can now wisely spend your points on $1000.00 gift cards from EOS airlines and get the pleasure of flying into London-Stansead or pay 9,150,000 points for a 1 yr lease for a lamborghini.

What will they think of next?!?
Old Nov 4, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I have the same thing on my platinum statement. Maybe they are going to relaunch this troubled and extremely devalued program for their best members. One can only hope.
-UFFA
Old Nov 4, 2006, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Response from Amex

I emailed & asked what this was about. Here is the response I received:

Dear ...:

Thank you for your recent inquiry about the Membership Rewards program.

Please be advised the Membership Rewards program on the Platinum & Centurion Charge will be enhanced early next year. The program name will be changed to Membership Rewards First.

• The Membership Rewards First program offers a wide variety of exciting premium rewards and experiences – and it is especially designed to provide greater travel redemption flexibility and exclusive access to premium rewards and experiences.
o We offer several options for redeeming for travel, including Pay with Points, Point Transfer and Travel Certificates.
o You will also gain exclusive access to the First Collection, our new set of luxury redemption partners.
o And - as a member of Membership Rewards First, you can earn triple points at the Bonus Points Mall (effective with the program launch 2007)
o And you will have access to a dedicated 1-800 number when the new program launches.
 Eligible Platinum and Centurion Charge Card products.

[deleted boiler-plate stuff & signature]
Old Nov 4, 2006, 9:30 am

Bonus Points Mall and MR First are completely useless.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:46 am

o We offer several options for redeeming for travel, including Pay with Points, Point Transfer and Travel Certificates.
So they offer the same options they already offer!

o You will also gain exclusive access to the First Collection, our new set of luxury redemption partners.
o And - as a member of Membership Rewards First, you can earn triple points at the Bonus Points Mall (effective with the program launch 2007)
And you can spend even more points and dollars on useless, overpriced stuff!

o And you will have access to a dedicated 1-800 number when the new program launches.
But it's okay—there's a dedicated 800 number to call when the MR site consistently spits out errors every time you try to do an airline transfer.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Wow....and I thought *I* had a lot of points sitting around...

I don't have quite the 93 MILLION points to redeem for the Chopard 18K white gold and diamond watch http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...4eb9&aid=62950

And I thought the trip into space was expensive at 25 million points (IIRC).
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the EOS redemption option is an incredible value. its available now.

EOS tix are indeed unrestricted.

$6850 - 85000 - save $6850

2x $500 RT certs - 90000 + $1000 - save a whopping $12700

hopefully this is where theyll add the SQ transfers, and maybe more

and while we may not see the point in having a watch the cost of a car or house on our wrist, im sure many centurion holders do

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 4, 2006 at 12:25 pm
Old Nov 4, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: V-Flyer Black
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the EOS redemption option is an incredible value. its available now.

EOS tix are indeed unrestricted.

$6850 - 85000 - save $6850

2x $500 RT certs - 90000 + $1000 - save a whopping $12700
Ok. Let me understand.

For 45,000 MR points you can get a voucher that allows you to buy an EOS round-trip/return ticket for $500.00 plus taxes?

Are there any blackout dates?

If I understand correctly that is a great deal and MAY respond to the upgrade offers I get.
hopefully this is where theyll add the SQ transfers, and maybe more
Yet another reason to upgrade to Plat. IF SQ transfers are allowed.

I wonder what happens to my current MR balance if I upgrade my card to Plat. and join the MR First program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.