Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:14 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Anyone receive any miles posted to your Aadvantage account on this promo as of this AM?
No.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Last edited by tmcneill; May 12, 2012 at 9:45 am
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:11 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Today December 2 I go to the market and buy a package of Swiss Knight Cheese Fondue. On the front of the package it is stated that the contents are a Certificate for 500 AA Miles and so much “Real Cheese Fondue.” When I open the package I find the Certificate but no Fondue. Upon contacting Emmi I am informed that they ran out of cheese and on December 1 they decided that they did not want to buy any more cheese. I am then told that as compensation for not receiving the Fondue I will be given a jar of Gerber Baby Food if I jump through some hoops.

I have read that Nestle is negotiating to buy Gerber Products from Novaris. Someone should add Nestle to the mailing list and point out what a “Mickey Mouse” operation they are looking at.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:34 am

redacted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jan 12, 2009 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
The sticker on the Swiss Knight package reads, "Earn 500 American Airlines AAdvantage Miles."

It does not read "Win A Chance To Earn 500 American Airlines AAdvantage Miles."

Under the system of laws by which we live, the consumer is under NO OBLIGATION to make inquiry of the motive of the seller. I find the suggestions of such outrageous.

There are things Emmi COULD HAVE done to limit its exposure in advance, e.g. as mentioned before instituting a limit on redemption, CONSPICUOUSLY INDICATED on the label.

But they did not. That is their problem, not the problem of the consumer.

Don't get distracted by discussions of economics. We don't need to hire Greenspan as a consultant.

As Martian keeps requesting, please stay focused on the goal, FT'ers.

My view:

I have completely complied with all the terms and conditions of the offer. Give me my miles or you will have a lesson in American justice.

My suggestion:

Don't beg! It's demeaning and there is no reason for it. If you, too, completely complied with all the terms and conditions of the offer, tell Emmi that you want every single mile to which you are entitled and don't settle for less.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:16 am

redacted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jan 12, 2009 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I sense a tremendous amount of panic and hyperventilation in this thread. Might I make one suggestion, and then I'll step aside as I have no skin in the game on this one? Might I suggest that people take a day off today -- perhaps watch some football, read a book, go for a walk, do some holiday shopping -- and then come back tomorrow and see where the company comes out after a weekend of deliberating over this? Maybe they're going to try to screw you, in which case you can start panicing and hyperventilating again; but maybe they'll come around and do the right thing.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
How do you suggest we handle the specially-marked packages that did not contain a certificate? I have a nearly 20% rate in this category.

I would suggest that you handle this situation in the same manner that you would handle the purchase of any product where the contents of the package was not what was advertised on the wrapper.

Here's a quick example: you buy your kid a box of cereal because it says there is a toy inside and he or she wants the toy. After opening the cereal box, it turns out there is no toy inside. Contact the manufacturer and ask for the toy.

By the way, can anyone in his or her wildest dreams conceive of Kellogs or General Mills telling a consumer, in essence, "yes, we know we promised your kid a toy, but we ran out, and rather than replace the boxes we continued to use them and made no effort to have them pulled from the shelves. So, even though you made your purchase in good faith, TOUGH."

No, I don't think that would happen.

Ask for what you feel you are legally entitled.

Do not ask for more than the company promised or something different than what was promised.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:36 am

All the discussion of damaging the brand is bs - you're not really going to get very far on that.

There are a dozen (or maybe even a hundred) FT'rs that bought up a huge percentage of the product.
Those that bought dozens or hundreds of the products are NOT the customers that Emmi is looking for, and frankly, they have no interest in keeping those customers. They don't need to do anything to appease "public perception" or "corporate image" for this matter. You didn't eat the cheese to begin with, you don't plan to buy more after this, they know it, you know it.

There are a few folks here that may have been enticed to try the product by the promo who genuinely would buy in the future. But those folks either didn't get any (as it was all bought up) or bought only a few packages (see the earliest posters on this topic).

Now, if anyone feels they have a valid legal complaint, go nuts. However, don't expect Emmi to give a damn about "bad customers" (from their perspective). However, as soon as someone says "class action", I hear that as someone that doesn't understand how CA work. The primary litigant may get approximately what they're after. The attorneys will get a huge hit. The rest of the folks in the class action (all dozen or hundred of them) will get a certificate for free cheese... I've "won" a few class action cases (been in the class) and my total compensation is pretty much worthless.

Emmi may end up giving you folks something and I hope for your sake they do (so you can move onto the next mistake fair in another forum).

Extra
Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:13 am

If I could find the product I would buy it today.This is a Winning Game for those who have the coupons never mind when the purchase was made.American Airlines has not exhausted it,s availability to supply Emmi more miles.I contacted on 11/19 the Emmi Company for information as to where the product was available for purchase and to clarify the promotional specifics (Namely quanity buy)and was refered to an executive,James DeLaurentis,He didn,t know the name of the local Broker or the wholesaler servicing retail food stores in my area.I knew there was going to be a problem at some point when he said "We are just feeling our way along".Now we know this Company has no feelings and certainly lost it's way.Everyone Hang in,We shall overcome.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[moderator hat on]

As people may have noticed, the thread was briefly closed and some posts have been removed. This is to allow everyone to focus on the key issues.

The topic is purchase of specific items in which there was expectation of receiving miles, and what can/is being done to resolve the discrepancies. Please refrain from personal exchanges aimed at each other.

The goal of FlyerTalk is members helping each other.

[moderator hat off]
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:50 pm

Questions

In light of the Moderator's post of a few minutes ago, I suggest we all confine ourselves to these issues:

1. Did anyone receive any miles after entering the coupon codes on the Emmi website?

2. Did anyone receive any assurance via e-mail or phone from Emmi that coupons will be redeemed?

3. Has anyone received any miles from coupons mailed in to Emmi?

4. Has anyone contacted AMR and received a reply?

5. Finally, should Emmi post something on their website, a note alerting all here will, I am sure, be appreciated.

How's that?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Thanks for reopening...here's my 2 cents, please add/delete/critique as only you guys can!

Action Plan to Get Emmi out of the Dog House…

-Reinstate the web link until the end of the week
or
-Agree to accept certs for entry that are postmarked by end of the week (sans receipts) and give a reasonable time frame for entry/posting…obviously more than 2 weeks
-Instruct sales managers, reps, wholesalers, stores, (and
Amazon.com) to remove stickers from packages & promos from stores
-Email everyone who has submitted codes with instructions for entry/submission of remaining codes.

The types of folks attracted to this promo (and who have or will submit their email addresses) have qualities that many (especially those selling on the internet) marketers will pay a premium for: passion for travel, relative affluence/intelligence, promotional savvy and are certainly ‘early adopters/first movers’. Emmi would be wise to retain/use this list in the future as well as to share (for a fee) with other brands to offset the cost of honoring this promotion in its original entirety.

Last edited by dogmom11; Dec 3, 2006 at 2:08 pm
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As a member, that sounds good to me.

Only thing I have to report is I bought two (I am sorry for being such a piker, but I have been on the road,) fondues, immediately entered the coupon numbers (perhaps the same day the OP was made,) and have not seen any miles post to my AA account.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by tmcneill; May 12, 2012 at 9:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.