Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World's best city hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

World's best city hotel

What do you think is the world's best city hotel? I am interested in hearing what the readers of the forum consider their best experience at a city hotel. I know the current rankings but find some of them to not be the best gage of quality of hotels, but more where certain people traveled a particular year. My favorite city hotel in the world is the Four Seasons Hotel George V in Paris.

What is yours?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:57 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I would rate the Four Seasons George V the world's best city hotel currently. I have yet to stay in the top hotels in HKG (MO, LMO, FS) but excluding those, the FSGV is my top choice.

I would rate One Aldwych in London in 2nd place, tied with the FS Marunouchi in Tokyo.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Tough call. I'd say the MO BKK, the PHT, and the LMO and MO HKG are the ones in my list.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hmmm... I'd put the LMO at the top of my list (counting the location, facilities, and quality of service). The PHT is a close second and is only hindered by its location.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how are the views from One Aldwych and FS Marunouchi?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:00 am

Have not been lucky enough to stay at the George V as yet, but from the reviews & general feedback that you hear, I can't imagine there is anywhere better.

MO BKK is prob the best I've stayed in.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:42 am

very difficult task

London = Browns, Dorchester
Paris = Bristol, Plaza Athenee
Milan= Park hyatt
Geneva= Le Richemond

Tokyo= Park Hyatt, Okura
Hong KOng = Peninsula, MO
Singapore Ritz C, Raffles, Grand Hyatt
Bangkok = Sukhothai , Four Seasons

New York = Lowell , Four seasons

AND the WINNER IS .... 3 way tie..Le Bristol :-: , Sukhothai :-: , Park Hyatt tokyo :-:
MAKE THAT A 4 way tie !!!!......Le richemond
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:27 am

Either the George V or the FS New York.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS Marunouchi is on the lower floors of a taller building (reception/lobby/restaurants are on something like the eighth floor, and everything else is beneath that). There's a small park area, then the train tracks and the Tokyo International Forum.

http://www.well.com/~nickw/four-seasons-view.jpg

For views, the PHT has to be preferred to the FS.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
A very difficult call but probably have to agree w/ Four Seasons George V

But on a price/value basis I'd stil like to give an honorable mention to Peninsula BKK. For those of us whose wallets would be stretched by the true top-end luxury hotels, this is a great opportunity to affordably sample the world's high end.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:40 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I agree with gleff. The Peninsula Bangkok deserves honorable mention on this survey. It is a wonderful hotel with excellent service. On a value:quality basis, it has to be among the best in the world. Still, while it is my personal favorite, I will concede that it probably doesn't rate as the single best city hotel in the world.

The Peninsula in Hong Kong, however, would have to rate way up on this list, if not at the very top. I'm not quite prepared to say it's the world's single best, but only because I haven't stayed at many of Europe's finest lately.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:00 am

London = Claridges
Singapore = The Four Seasons
Tokyo = The Park Hyatt
Dubai = Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:17 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
The views from the FS Marunouchi are as described but I have always found watching the trains arrive and depart from Tokyo Station to be fascinating and the triple glazed glass blocks out virtually all noise. Being such a small hotel, 67 rooms or so, the service levels here are the best I have experienced in Tokyo thus far. If view trumps service, then PHT would be a better bet.

One Aldwych has many rooms that overlook neighbouring buildings but their circular Studio Suites have great views over the Waterloo Bridge. Their Executive Suites have views up the Aldwych and the rooms along the Aldwych have great views of the Aldwych. It is the combination of a classic building, old world service, modern yet elegant decor and unpretentious service, as well as good value which rank One Aldwych high on my list. Their pool is one of the best I have ever used.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it seems like the LMO doesn't really have much of a view either. or do they just not show it online?

WOW @ value though.

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/556000162.asp

Suite - $670 FHR

If you earn £, One Aldwych seems about the same price-wise.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 14, 2006 at 12:18 pm
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:31 am
Original Poster

I was interested in hearing what people thought of the Four Seasons in Istanbul. It always gets high marks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.