Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner near NYC Penn Station 11-22 at 7:45pm

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:41 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

NYC Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner near NYC Penn Station 11-22 at 7:45pm

NOTE: this meeting is at the NYC Penn Station NOT Newark Penn Station.

Spiff is connecting homeward through NYC Penn Station on Thanksgiving Eve, and thought it would be nice to have a few Flyertalkers get together for some Guinness and food and of course fun.

The Place:

Stout Restaurant
133 West 33rd Street

http://www.stoutnyc.com/menu.html (of course they have beer too )

Date and Time: Wednesday, Nov 22 at 7:45pm (trying to give Spiff time in case EWR and the NJ Transit railroad are not kind with his travel.)

Guests:

CATMAN*
SPIFF (Guest of Honor )
SeeYa*
Tenmoc
xanthuos (first timer for an FT event!)

Will be missed:

Mary2e*
Clue by Four (by two days )
stockmanjr

Thinks they can make it:

Hoboken Flyer

Potential Dinner Crashers:

dhammer53*
alyssia
GregWTravels
rhino_UK +1

* = FT Alley Cats (nickname for FT-ers living in the NYC area.

I know this competes with Dhammer's annual Macy's Parade Balloon Blowup. Many many apologies! I can't get uptown and I need to get home early so I get an early start on Cat Sittings (holidays are prime season for a pet sitter.) Stout is about a block from the Path Station and a quick ride home.

Hope to see a few FT Friends next Wednesday!

Last edited by Catman; Nov 19, 2006 at 6:05 am
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:23 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I'm in.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Catman,

If you want to eat and drink beer, be my guest. If it's one of those cold, blustery, rainy balloon blow-up evenings, rest assured, that we just may hi-tail it down to your location. You don't mind a few crashers do you?

Omni... newself and I hoisted a Sammys to you on Sunday at Encounter.

Dan (still judging the 'qualified' Talk Board candidates.)
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
iDine too

Originally Posted by Catman
(of course they have beer too)
idine too:
AA
UA
US
HI/IC

put me on your list please?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I would love to come to this one, but unfortunately, I"m in the middle of a Hyatt mattress run & will be checking into one of the NJ hyatts.

Anyone wanna move the party to the Princeton Hyatt? It IS along the Amtrak route?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Mary2e

Anyone wanna move the party to the Princeton Hyatt? It IS along the Amtrak route?
You can meet me at PSNJ and we can ride to PSNY together.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Ahhh.. but PSNJ is not anywhere near Princeton .

Good idea though ^^ If I was going to the Jersey City Hyatt I would be there.

Oh well... I'm always a day late & a dollar short.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:24 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

List has been updated.

Tenmoc.. have we met before? If not it's nice to meet Flyertalkers I haven't seen in person before.

Dhammer... most crashers are welcome and I have no problem having your group come as well.

Mary2e... next time you do a sleeping run (as it's also called) at the JC Hyatt and have a little time PM me. We can meet for a drink or something. I enjoyed meeting you at the BRT earlier this year.

FYI: Alley Cats are nicknames for local FT-ers. I guess we can initiate Spiff as an honorary Alley Cat since he has family in the area (Long Island is in the range.) Dont' worry Spiff... initiation is relatively painless!

One OMNI Question: what is this NYC DO for June 15-17 2007?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
I think I can come!

- HF
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I've only been to a couple local Do's so far. So I am not sure if we have met or not.
But I did meet Spiff at Cow Do.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:27 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

List has been updated.

Sorry you'll miss this by two days Clue. If you are ever up this way PM me and at least we can have a beer. I'll bring a bigger bag of pretzels.

At least you get a tiny bag of pretzels. Some UA flights have this wierd trail mix that tastes like Scott Paper towels.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Catman
NOTE: this meeting is at the NYC Penn Station NOT Newark Penn Station.

Spiff is connecting homeward through NYC Penn Station on Thanksgiving Eve, and thought it would be nice to have a few Flyertalkers get together for some Guinness and food and of course fun.

The Place:

Stout Restaurant
133 West 33rd Street
You sure you don't want to try Wollensky's?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Catman,

I linked the balloon blow-up thread to this one (just in case it rains).

Dan
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:39 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Going OMNI here...

I have been to Wollensky's Grill twice and both times were disappointed by the surly service and the food especially. Both times (and sevearl times at the main restaurant) there was always a problem.

Many times it was my steak was not cooked right. I also have an issue with the mostly surly service.

I had one purrfect itme at Smith's when I met with Rudi. Rudi's dinner was flawless (and it was where I had my first sidecar.) )

As I said, my favorite Wollensky's restaurant is Cite. The only thing they have done recently (which I called and wrote about) is change the size of the steak with the Frites from a nice sized NY Strip or ribeye to a filet mignon. I have not been to Cite in several months. Guess I can request a larger sized steak. When I got the revised steak I said "is this Cite or a W hotel restaurant."

Again, there is one W hotel restaurant that has been very good: the restaurant inside the W French Quarter New orleans. I was there once alone on Valentine's Day and they went out of their way to make me well welcome and serve me some of the best pasta I've ever had.

I could try Wollensky's again... and maybe be convinced that there is good in it.

I know it's a popular FT meeting spot. Personally for NYC steakhouses besides Cite I LOVE Old Homestead Steakhouse (it's where I would have my second to last meal if given to that.)

I also have issues with the Zagat Steakhouse champ Peter Lugar's.. sour services... poorly cooked steak and twice I fell on the sawdust covered floor (one time a waiter simply stepped over me and screamed at me for blocking his "path." )

Plus for the record... I was drinking Coke both time so I wasn't falling down drunk.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by kcvt750
You sure you don't want to try Wollensky's?

Yup! (its a funding issue for me)

I checked Stout out tonight. Seems ok. There is another place right next to it they were poured out into the streets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.