Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do NYers tend to hate New Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Why do NYers tend to hate New Jersey?

I've seen more and more NYers make comments to indicate that being in New Jersey is the worst, most discusting, horrible place on earth.

People have made comments, for example, that it is worth several hundred dollars more just to fly into LGA vs. EWR "just to avoid the state of New Jersey."

I don't really get it...anyone care to explain?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:32 am

Programs: WWMFD
I think they're just returning the compliment.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:49 am

Some years ago, I asked New Yorker about location of EWR, which I was about to use for the first time. Well, OK, it is in New Jersey, so I asked: :How close is New Jersey?". Answer: "Too close".
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
because they are pretenders, making believe they are in nyc. ie, CO adds say fly to NYC but they land in ewr, New Jersey is disgusting,and horrible and they themselves hate it so much that they spend all their time coming into Manhattan clogging up the streets with their suv's with jersey plates. Just try driving between 4 and midnight on the west side near holland and Lincoln tunnels as all these workers and later drunk party goers try to squeeze into those little tubes. The tunnel fees should be 25$ each way just to ease the traffic in nyc.... there i got that rant off.

I forgot Christmass eve, all of new jersey comes to CHinatown to enjoy the new traditional 7 dumpling dinner that they read about on ft. Stay away from chinatown that night as traffic will be blocked up all along canal street to the holland tunnel...3hour waits are normal...
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:05 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
[QUOTE=nytango]because they are pretenders, making believe they are in nyc. ie, CO adds say fly to NYC but they land in ewr, New Jersey is disgusting,and horrible and they themselves hate it so much that they spend all their time coming into Manhattan clogging up the streets with their suv's with jersey plates. Just try driving between 4 and midnight on the west side near holland and Lincoln tunnels as all these workers and later drunk party goers try to squeeze into those little tubes. The tunnel fees should be 25$ each way just to ease the traffic in nyc.... there i got that rant off.
QUOTE]

They reap the benefits of working in Manhattan, but live in NJ. Pretenders ... I agree.
Flights to NYC, but land in NJ.
Extra fee for taxi to/from EWR-Manhattan = +$15 because in NJ. EWR is even closer to Lower Manhattan than LGA, but because in NJ, fares are higher for car services.
Toll roads every which way you turn, in NJ.
EWR ... need I say more?

One good thing about NJ is that gas costs are waaaaay less in NJ.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:14 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
The older you are, the more you like NJ compared to NYC.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:22 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Years ago I was given the option to fly into either EWR or JFK for the same price. I was travelling business class on AA, but if I flew into EWR I could pay the same and fly First. No brainer for me, but my colleague refused (which was good for me as I didn't want to spend the flights with him anyway!) Stacks of bonus miles were given to me for my first First flight, plus the actual standard First miles. Service was great, but the sheepskin seats weren't that nice, and there wasn't the fill recline on them either back then (2000).

As for NJ itself, what I saw from the car kind of frightened me. A huge urban sprawl. Not very pretty. I'm only basing this on the route to and from the airport to NYC itself, so I'm assuming there are nice areas too.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:52 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

New York vs New Jersey, Texas vs Oklahoma... any other true state rivalries?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by MilesAndMore
The older you are, the more you like NJ compared to NYC.

it is called senility soon you will also probably like a gated community in florida and then hospice.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
It's not just New Yorkers, everybody hates NJ.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
New York vs New Jersey, Texas vs Oklahoma... any other true state rivalries?
I don't think that's a rivalry, except for one Saturday in October. Folks here never give Oklahoma a second thought.

As to NJ, when I was a child living in NYC, we would drive thru NJ heading south, and I couldn't help noticing how much the state stank. Literally. For miles around Elizabeth, there was a strong and foul odor, kind of a skunk bathing in sulpher kind of thing.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I know of 2 nice places in Jersey. The first one is the welcome to Pennsylvania sign; and, the other is welcome to Delaware as you exit the state.

I know of one good thing about Jersey, ok, maybe 3.
Cheap gas
Frank Sinatra
Legendary Flyertalkers Catman & mary2e live there.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I know of 2 nice places in Jersey. The first one is the welcome to Pennsylvania sign; and, the other is welcome to Delaware as you exit the state.

I know of one good thing about Jersey, ok, maybe 3.
Cheap gas
Frank Sinatra
Legendary Flyertalkers Catman & mary2e live there.
at least one of the is a prime example of ny pretender/wannabe
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by myfrogger
I've seen more and more NYers make comments to indicate that being in New Jersey is the worst, most discusting, horrible place on earth.
Sounds like these people have some baggage or hangups. The worst place on earth? I see their education and experience of travel have been a tad limited.

People have made comments, for example, that it is worth several hundred dollars more just to fly into LGA vs. EWR "just to avoid the state of New Jersey."
Some people have money to burn.

I don't really get it...anyone care to explain?
To be that aggravated is more of a reflection on them than anything else.

Originally Posted by secretsea18
They reap the benefits of working in Manhattan, but live in NJ. Pretenders ... I agree.
What are they pretending? They'll never be New Yorkers. They just know that a great deal of the opportunities are in the city and not in the burbs. And they pay heavily in taxes for it.

NJ's politicians are among the most corrupt and the people of the state keep electing and re-electing them so they have themselves to blame. So maybe it's not the state as much as it is some of the people which makes them a nationwide target for ridicule.

Originally Posted by swag
As to NJ, when I was a child living in NYC, we would drive thru NJ heading south, and I couldn't help noticing how much the state stank. Literally. For miles around Elizabeth, there was a strong and foul odor, kind of a skunk bathing in sulpher kind of thing.
It's disgusting and it's centered on the NJ Turnpike. Driving out to western NJ by the Appalachian trail or down to Island Beach State Park, it's beautiful.

Last edited by Analise; Nov 23, 2006 at 9:29 am
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Ahhh... the classic rivalry.

I can't tell you why, but I do recall it vividly growing up in Brooklyn.

I landed in mid/southern NJ for one reason only. It was the only place I could afford a house.

As for the smell, well, most people only see the state from the Turnpike, and yes, it does stink for about 2 exits. Yes, it is urban and congested from Elizabeth north.

It's actually quite nice where I live and the only things I smell are clean air & flowers (in the summer). It's also nice being close to the beaches, though I could ride my bicycle to the beach when I lived in Brooklyn.

So, for all of you who don't like NJ, spread the word... you REALLY don't want to come here ... it's nasty... really nasty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.