Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever had to flee a country?

Have you ever had to flee a country?

Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question Have you ever had to flee a country?

As the title says. Whether due to war, famine, natural disaster.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Great question by the OP!

No.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:07 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
A dumped ex-gf turned stalker caused me to flee a country temporarily
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
After the London bus and tube bombings I wanted to flee (was living in central London, 2 blocks from Kings Cross), but it would have been expensive to change my ticket.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:00 am

Thanks goodness, not yet.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, *Wood Plat, CO, QF
I had an evacuation bag packed a couple of times in Papua New Guinea due to civil unrest, but didn't have to actually evacuate, fortunately.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:36 am

I entered Honduras at a land border without clearing customs or immigration.

I worried what would happen if I got stopped by the police.

Therefore, I had to 'flee' without going through customs and immigration. This was also easy.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
I had to flee Gilgit in Northern Pakistan due to civil unrest. Took 3 days before the army managed to clear road blocks and the airport was closed.

We have contingency plans to flee Bulgaria with my family in the event of any sort of criminal incident (road accident involving a fatality etc...) due to the fact that I am foreign and the judicial system here is so corrupt. Hopefully it will never happen!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K
I had to flee Manila a day early due to a car bombing in Makati (the area where our hotel was) fortunately for us, we have security that travels with us and we were able to get to Hong Kong a day earlier (fine with me!).
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I had fleas in Italy once. Does that count?

Rented a stunning apartment (it had been published in a decor magazine), after three days my legs started itching- turned out the carpets all were infested.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I fled Hurricane Jean

Hurricane Jean arrrived in Puerto Rico on Wednesday, 9/15/04. I had flown in on Sunday evening 9/12/04, planning to work for two days, and then to fly back to EWR on the morning of 9/15/04.

On Tuesday afternoon, the satellite pictures on weather.com made it obvious to me that Hurricane Jean was bearing down on San Juan. I called Continental, but they had not yet cancelled or re-scheduled my flight, so they would not accomodate me.

I ended up checking out of my hotel that night and taking the 9 PM flight on AA to JFK. Had I not left on Tuesday when I did, I would not have left before Friday morning.

What surprised me the most was that as I was rushing out of the hotel to catch a cab to the airport, no one else seemed to realize that a hurricane was coming.

Last edited by JohnneeO; Nov 28, 2006 at 9:01 am
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
1968 - I was 11 & my family was in Prague. The Russians rolled in & we got in our VW pop-top & hightailed it back to Munich. Can't remember what happened at the border & how we got through when there obviously had to be thousands of Czechs trying to do the same.

In the late 70's in Madrid - Basque terrorists were bombing every train out & had blown up the Atocha train station with my brother's down sleeping bag left in a locker there. I swear what apprears to be snow in a photo on the front page of Le Monde was the remains of his bag! We tried to fly out & they started bombing the airport - ran across the tarmack to the plane & were told to make sure our bags were being loaded. They weren't there, but we got shoved on the plane & told better we make it out than our backpacks - was an interesting 2 weeks with no clothes, no money & only the Morrocan teapot I was hand-carrying, but somehow I survived intact! Did have nightmares for years afterwards about bombs going off & trying to find somewhere safe away from glass & calling my family to say goodbye.

Last edited by brendamc; Nov 27, 2006 at 5:49 pm
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Never had to Flee, nor was I ever kicked out (one never knows).

Whats amazing to me is that they still let me back in to the US each and every time (yea I was born here and my folks were also)
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:55 pm
aly

been there, done that,

hmm, only too often.., with the civil unrest in the Ivory Coast I have had to flee/run/hide/skedaddle from abidjan not once, not twice but 3 times..!!

Fortunately for me my employers had things organized and booked a plane for us to fly out; once to burkina faso where we had biz class AF tickets to CDG, once i went to LHR via Ghana on C class BA, and the third time i had to run for cover to the "your nearest neighborhood UN safehouse"... ^

Thats why i have taken an extended break here in YUL..., time to smell the roses..!!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
I fled the country for the city and then went back

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.