Wiki Posts
Search

I have someone elses suitcase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CONTINENTAL ONE PASS
I have someone elses suitcase

On Sept 13 I flew from CDG to JFK in BC on AF. I booked it using CO miles.

At the airport one of my bags was missing. I was really tired so I did not report it. There was nothing of much value inside and I just wanted to go home and sleep.

About 4 weeks later I get a letter in the mail from AF in Paris. The letter said that a piece of luggage that might be mine was found and they asked me to answer a bunch of questions and I attached a copy of my ticket and all the baggage stubs. I mailed the letter back to Paris.

About 2 weeks ago someone is buzzing my apt at 7:30 in the morning. I ignore it and keep sleeping. When I leave my building I see a note saying that they attempted to deliver a piece of luggage from Newark airport. I have a friend wait later in the day for their return. My friend signs for the luggage. I get home and it is not mine. It is filled with somone elses clothes, medicines, electronics, books - a lot of stuff.

I call the delivery place and they say "call the airline" and hang up.

I have been calling AF and i have spoken to many depts, including the baggage dept, and I keep getting told that they will get back to me.
Two weeks have passed and the bag is still in my apt.

How do i get rid of it? Do i drive it to newark and drop it off at the AF counter ?(I am NOT driving to JFK )

Now the story gets crazier - yesterday I get a letter from Delta saying that they may have a piece of my luggage.

How can this happen since I NEVER FILED A MISSING BAG REPORT?

I am sure that the person to whom the bag in my apt belongs to would want it back because it contains a lot of important and personal stuff. How do I get someone to do something and take it away from me?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:47 pm

If there is anyway to figure out who the owner of the bag you got is, I would contact them directly and then the airline. Who knows maybe somehow tags got switched an your bag got tagged as theirs and vicea versa.

Maybe DL does have your bag so try and get it back.

I would assume that airlines make some effort to return bags even if reports haven't been filed. They have enough information, at least in you case, to know you never got your bag. Just not enough toi know the bag they sent you is not yours!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:38 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by JACKENSACK
...My friend signs for the luggage. I get home and it is not mine. It is filled with somone elses clothes, medicines, electronics, books - a lot of stuff.

I call the delivery place and they say "call the airline" and hang up.

I have been calling AF and i have spoken to many depts, including the baggage dept, and I keep getting told that they will get back to me.
Two weeks have passed and the bag is still in my apt.
I think we have found the FT version of 'man bites dog'.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If you really are that unconcerned about your suitcase, why did you bother checking it? Why not just pitch it in Paris and come home empty handed?

I couldn't imagine not wanting my stuff back -- even if it's just regular clothes. But if I didn't, I couldn't imagine hauling it to the airport in the first place.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: CONTINENTAL ONE PASS
Originally Posted by channa
If you really are that unconcerned about your suitcase, why did you bother checking it? Why not just pitch it in Paris and come home empty handed?

I couldn't imagine not wanting my stuff back -- even if it's just regular clothes. But if I didn't, I couldn't imagine hauling it to the airport in the first place.
Good question - I should have explained more about my bags contents.

The bag contained an $80.00 boom box and we waited at the carousel for about an hour and our car service was about to start charging us double which would have been more that the $80.00 price of the boom box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.