Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fresh vomit left in seat, what should compensation be?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Fresh vomit left in seat, what should compensation be?

I have been asked by a colleage, what type of compensation they should request for the following:

Got on plane, strong stinch of vomit. Sat in seat, asked FA about odor, said insufficient time to clean during turnaround. Moments later, notices wetness in pants, gets up, puts hand on seat and sure enough wet and smells, puts hand around seat and pulls hand back with vomit on it. Seat was apparently wiped but vomit was around edges and in cracks. FA brings a blanket for seat and one for very wet floor. Plaintiff ended up sick for a few days after flight. Pax disgusted and wants to complain.

I have never experienced this or anything like this so I don't know. I suggested some miles or money. Then I was asked how much would be appropriate and fair. I said "I don't know, but I have a forum that might could help with this". So here you go, what are your thoughts?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Generally, I find the "what compensation should I get" threads to be annoying and whiny. This is not. This is simply disgusting, and should be addressed. I would venture that 20K miles would not be out of line. We all know that AA do a poor job of cleaning the AC (WN has faster turnaround and does a far better job), but this is unacceptable.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, CO GLD, UA 1P, Marriott SLVR, SPG GLD...
Originally Posted by drbond
I have been asked by a colleage, what type of compensation they should request for the following:

Got on plane, strong stinch of vomit. Sat in seat, asked FA about odor, said insufficient time to clean during turnaround. Moments later, notices wetness in pants, gets up, puts hand on seat and sure enough wet and smells, puts hand around seat and pulls hand back with vomit on it. Seat was apparently wiped but vomit was around edges and in cracks. FA brings a blanket for seat and one for very wet floor. Plaintiff ended up sick for a few days after flight. Pax disgusted and wants to complain.

I have never experienced this or anything like this so I don't know. I suggested some miles or money. Then I was asked how much would be appropriate and fair. I said "I don't know, but I have a forum that might could help with this". So here you go, what are your thoughts?
Did they at least give him/her another seat/upgrade? I can't imagine staying in that seat after this "discovery".
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:16 am

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
Originally Posted by drbond

Just a Freudian slip, or has a lawsuit already been filed?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Generally, I find the "what compensation should I get" threads to be annoying and whiny. This is not. This is simply disgusting, and should be addressed. I would venture that 20K miles would not be out of line. We all know that AA do a poor job of cleaning the AC (WN has faster turnaround and does a far better job), but this is unacceptable.

Cheers.
I'm still baffled as to why a) AA doesn't switch to all-leather seating for ease of cleaning, and b) why the cleaning crew doesn't have extra seat cushions.

Yuck. Seriously, puke = inoperable seat, in my book.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:46 am

Dry cleaning reimbursement, full refund on entire ticket, and ~ 20k of AAdvantage miles.
Absolute disgrace
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Dry cleaning reimbursement, full refund on entire ticket, and ~ 20k of AAdvantage miles.
Absolute disgrace
If they ended up staying on that flight why should AA give them a full refund? They did transport them from A to B
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Absolute disgrace
Agree, there is noooo! excuse of leaving the a/c in this fashion even if mean't delaying the outbound. Yes they transported him but I think the revolting circumstances cries for all three-cleaning, miles and refund.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
If they ended up staying on that flight why should AA give them a full refund? They did transport them from A to B
I really hope that you're not being serious. I can't imagine being forced to sit in a seat with fresh vomit, then getting sick from the experience. That's the kind of thing that would truly drive me to never fly that particular airline again, particularly if the attitude from the employees is "Hey, we got you from A to B."
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Buster
I really hope that you're not being serious. I can't imagine being forced to sit in a seat with fresh vomit, then getting sick from the experience. That's the kind of thing that would truly drive me to never fly that particular airline again, particularly if the attitude from the employees is "Hey, we got you from A to B."
I think AEpilot76 was saying that "full refund" may not be in order...and I hope he was not saying that no compensation should be forthcoming. I agree that a full refund should not be expected.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
I'm very serious. If the passenger was that disgusted by it (which I'm sure I would be) why did they not get off the plane and demand the refund then? Getting on a plane, sitting in a seat full of vomit, flying to your destination and then demanding a refund is the same as ordering a meal, eating the entire thing, then demand that it be taken off the bill because you didn't like it.

The bigger question is why the seat was not completely cleaned. There is ALWAYS time to clean vomit, thats a delay I don't mind taking
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I think AEpilot76 was saying that "full refund" may not be in order...and I hope he was not saying that no compensation should be forthcoming. I agree that a full refund should not be expected.

Cheers.
Exactly...compensation yes, a full refund, no
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Exactly...compensation yes, a full refund, no

But what we don't know is whether the paxs had little option. With flights full and limited it may have mean not arriving to his destination on time, particularly if he was within a time sensitive traveling scenario (meeting with a client, attending a meeting/conference, etc.), if he was provided alternative travel arrangements.

And what options did GAs give him. From what I gather the ground crew, including, GAs did not appear to be very concerned about their paxs, particularly if they would allow an a/c with fresh vomit to take on paxs without a total and thorough cleaning. Did they offer a F seat or try to find him an alternative flight or tell him this was it, take it or leave it.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
I'm very serious. If the passenger was that disgusted by it (which I'm sure I would be) why did they not get off the plane and demand the refund then?
I have to disagree with you on this one. Sometimes we just have to get somewhere on time, disgusted or not. I frequently fly across the country for a meeting and go home the next morning. Getting off the plane (as long as the plane was going to the destination) wouldn't be an option for me unless I was on my way home.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA: EXP(3MM), Hilton: Diamond, SPG: Gold
I'm no doctor, but doesn't vomit contain body fluids? If so, I would view this incident as the passenger coming in direct contact with the body fluid of the previous passenger due to negligence of the airline.

Perhaps they owe you a full medical check for contagious diseases. Maybe the passenger's sickness was something more than emotional?

If human vomit is in no way a bio hazard, then the compensation should be...I'll leave it to the experts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.