Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the plunging u.s. dollars becoming a problem for your travelling experiences?

Is the plunging u.s. dollars becoming a problem for your travelling experiences?

Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i can't seem to be able to buy as much as i used to be able to.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Depends on your perspective.

Since I am a Canadian born Japanese in Taiwan it is a great thing.

My CAD buys more, my YEN buys more, my NTD buys more.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:34 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Yes .. as my trip in February to five European countries will cost me more $$
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:55 am
In memoriam

Yep, I have just about decided to can the trip to Europe I had planned for the next few weeks. I don't care to pay $10 for a grande creme in Paris. Or, even $8.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC, HH
Not for me, but I'm earning in GBP so I'm enjoying it's buying power in the Eurozone, as well as using it to pay off my US student loans faster, as well as helping to clear my credit cards.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Great question by the OP!

As, like most people in the world, I am not a USAian, it's actually rather good for me. Particularly as it's Christmas, and I have colleagues on trips over there at the moment.

(Not, of course, that I'd dream of getting someone to pass off newly bought merchandise as personal property. That would be evil and wrong.)
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:23 am

Yeah, as an Australian citizen, I'm already booking my flights to the U.S for the next year.

Amazon purchases work out much cheaper too.

Nope, no issue here (Then again, I don't earn $US, so I do commiserate with those who do)
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Why?

For the average tourist it may add up to ~$20 a day more.

If that's something that makes or breaks your budget, then I suppose you should plan on discovering the beautiful USA.

In my case it makes little difference. YMMV
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
I earn Ł Sterling and I am currently doing an exec MBA at Columbia Uni, costing $120,000 plus travel and subsistence. I am delighted at the $'s collapse
Old Dec 1, 2006, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
It won't make much difference to me in the short run, but the ridiculous inflation of prices in the UK has caused me to delay travel plans.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:13 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Yes... when your company is still working off 2001 Per Diem rates
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:23 am

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Now that US dollars are going the same way as banana republic pesos my trips to the USA are cheaper, shopping online from american stores is cheaper, american imports are cheaper, etc.

So let the dollar drop a bit more!

It also helps a little against the ridiculously high price of oil, but not that much, because the plunging dollar is one of the reasons why oil got more expensive to begin with. It's about time to end the monopoly of US dollars in the global oil trade.

Finally, a falling dollar means less american tourists. Now that the number of asian tourists is skyrocketing, less americans is a good thing to keep my city liveable. Amsterdam attracts way more tourists than it can handle.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not now but it will be when we go to Ibiza in March.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:27 am
MeNoSay

This is a dumb question. Sorry. It is. Either it costs more to buy things or it doesn't. Either you're rich enough that it doesn't matter or you're not

Here are the answers:

1) I am an American who travels overseas. But I am rich so I don't care.
2) I am an American who travels overseas. I am poor, so it hurts.
3) I am a foreigner with a strong currency who travels to the U.S. So it helps.
4) I don't travel abroad/I don't understand currency/my currency is pegged to the dollar/I have no idea what you mean

Please improve.

Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I've been traveling overseas since the late 1950s (and hearing about the plunging dollar fro much of that period, but remember a point in history when the pound sterling equalled $5.00 (so we've a ways to go in devaluation). A portion of my earnings (about what I spend on foeign travel) comes from an investment in a company which sells service and products overseas. The cheaper dollar has resulted in its foreign sales doubling, so I've come out ahead of the game, my earnings from the investment doubled, while my cost of travel has risen much less.

The cheap dollar works both ways.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.