Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Redeemable miles expiration date: - Miles Expiring!

Redeemable miles expiration date: - Miles Expiring!

Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thumbs down

Looks like United is changing the Mileage Plus expiration policy from 36 to 18 months.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070119/cgf025.html

United Airlines Announces Important Change to Its Mileage Plus Frequent Flyer Program

Friday January 19, 3:29 pm ET
New 18-month expiration policy preserves award seats for United's most loyal customers and reduces the company's frequent flyer mileage liability

CHICAGO, Jan. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines today announced that Mileage Plus frequent flyer miles that are in accounts which are inactive for 18 months will expire. By shortening the amount of time a Mileage Plus account can remain inactive, United's most loyal customers will compete with fewer people for award seats, making it easier for them to redeem their miles.

"This change makes our Mileage Plus program better for customers who are most loyal to United, reduces our operating costs and brings our program in line with major competitors," said Dennis Cary, senior vice president - Marketing. "We offer several ways our customers can easily stay active in our Mileage Plus program and enjoy the benefits that come with earning and redeeming miles with United."

Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Eh, not too worried about it.

If you can't rack up *any* activity in a year-and-a-helf you're trying pretty hard.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
Looks like United is changing the Mileage Plus expiration policy from 36 to 18 months.
More discussion here.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by itsme
What better way to dispose of "scum" miles than to spend them on magazine/ newpaper subscriptions?
I can't condone the destruction of trees for useless purposes. As Egon Spangler said in Ghostbusters, "Print is dead."
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
My girlfriend had about 35,000 MP miles set to expire 31JAN07. I just today donated online 1,000 miles to American Redcross, and instantly the "expiry date" changed to 31JAN10!

I thought it should be 18 months....
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Norway_Asia
My girlfriend had about 35,000 MP miles set to expire 31JAN07. I just today donated online 1,000 miles to American Redcross, and instantly the "expiry date" changed to 31JAN10!

I thought it should be 18 months....
It will be 18 months. They just haven't gotten around to changing the website yet. Rather typical of united.com.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:10 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Membership level: Member
Current redeemable miles balance: 42,041
Year to date Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) 0
Year to date Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) 0
Lifetime United flight miles: 432,010
Redeemable miles expiration date: Apr 30, 2010
Please note that if your expiration date is after 12/31/07, your new expiration date will be 18 months after your last activity. Activity includes flying, redeeming miles, using a Mileage Plus credit card and more.
well, the information on 'my' website changed to 18 months, but the calculation for the expiring date just above on the same mileage summary page is still 3 years ... (I just booked some award flights).
Old May 1, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rudi
well, the information on 'my' website changed to 18 months, but the calculation for the expiring date just above on the same mileage summary page is still 3 years ... (I just booked some award flights).
As of Dec 31, 2007, it will be retroactively changed to 18 months. Tricky, edging on evil, if you ask me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.