Wiki Posts
Search

I Refused My F Meal Again Today

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I Refused My F Meal Again Today

I appreciate CO offering meals at mealtime. But I wish they refreshed the F menu a little more regularly/frequently. Or perhaps mixed things up a bit like they did with their new BF options on the trans-oceanic routes.

I flew today and was again not pleased with the F choices. (I especially dread the "philly cheesesteak", "cheeseburger", and "Rueben" offerings.) They do switch around their soups often ...so I have no complaints about that. While they do have a few flavors, there seems to be enough rotation where I don't mind the limited selection. With hot sandwiches though, they need to mix things up much more and/or introduce newer items.

So for the 5th time this year, I asked the FA to replace my meal with a coach offering (which has always been better than F) or a crew meal. So to the surprise of others in the F cabin that didn't think of asking the same (although probably wished they did), they delivered me my F soup with my Y meal (which today was a delicious cheese pizza.)

CO gets high marks from me for providing complimentary meals at mealtimes. However, those high marks are beginning to wear out just as quickly as their menu items are. If CO can offer innovative items in their crew or coach offerings, surely they can do the same in F.

Have you ever asked your F meal to be replaced with another meal on-board? Or did you simply refuse all food service and explain you were doing so because you weren't happy with the selection? And is there a mechanism in place for FA's to report to HQ the level of satisfaction among fliers with regards to food ....or is the only way to show satisfaction or lack thereof with the Comment Cards and the We-Care Hotline?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I would donate my time to help them find more innovative offerings. I am a past elite of many years, and have only flown first once this year, and the food was ridiculous. What they offer is something you would pay $5 at Denny's, and that's first class. Its a joke, and I can't believe it cannot be made better at a small cost. Especially since it seems most domestic seats are being sold instead of upgrades.

People seem to tolerate it, and don't make enough of an uprising against it to have it changed. I thinking calling domestic first class service a misnomer - it should be called "marginally enhanced economy". I'd rather fly JetBlue coach, and expect nothing, and get TV.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
So for the 5th time this year, I asked the FA to replace my meal with a coach offering (which has always been better than F) or a crew meal.
is there a crew meal? a friend of mine is an FA on United and they don't cater crew meals for domestic flights. the crew is forced to pack their own grub or eat leftovers.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:24 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Last month I flew IAH-PDX in first class seat in row 4. By the time the FA got to me all that was left was salmon salad. I definetely passed. He brought me two cheese pizzas from coach and the rest of the first class meal. I shared my second pizza with my companion seated next to me.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Have you ever asked your F meal to be replaced with another meal on-board?
I have requested the main cabin meal in place of the First offering twice in the last month but was unable to get it both times because they didn't have extras. The main cabin was completely full and the attendant explained that they were obligated to serve all passengers in the main cabin first but if there were extras once they completed their rounds, they would accommodate the switch. It turned out that in one of the instances there were a total of 3 of us in first that had a request and there was only two extra meals available. I was seated in the last row of first so I didnt get it. In the second instance, I was told there was no extras available.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
Last month I flew IAH-PDX in first class seat in row 4. By the time the FA got to me all that was left was salmon salad. I definetely passed. He brought me two cheese pizzas from coach and the rest of the first class meal. I shared my second pizza with my companion seated next to me.
that salmon salad was the most distgusting thing ever. it wasnt even a real peice of salmon. it was more like a salmon patty (kinda looked like a hamburger).

i dont think anyone ate theirs. i have asked many times for a Y meal, but its usually just the mini sandwhich. in the salmon case, Y was not catered.

i have also brought food on board and simply asked for the linen, cutlery and dessert with an empty plate. that usually works out best for me.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:34 am

Programs: CO Platinum
I will often skip their meals in first if I have already eaten. Three weeks ago I think it was EWR-IAH I passed on the omelette and french toast and asked them to bring a cereal from coach.

The food service isn't what really attracts me about FC. In my opinion in most cases it's not really any better than the tastiest or most nutritous meal you can find in a food court in a mall.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think the soup and salad works best for the lunch offering. For dinner though I prefer the older style dinners - small salad with a hot entre with vegetables. Kind of like a TV dinner. Choices were baked salmon, shrimp scampi, baked chicken, steak, etc. along with a vegetable and potato.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
is there a crew meal? a friend of mine is an FA on United and they don't cater crew meals for domestic flights. the crew is forced to pack their own grub or eat leftovers.
Domestically, we do not receive crew meals. I sure do miss that vacuumed packed tuna and chopped up iceberg lettuce...
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Fortunately, I don't fly enough during mealtime for this to become an issue with me though I do sometimes just have the soup and tell the FA to surprise me with whatever they have left, as long as it is not the salmon salad, and pick at the entree.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
I think the soup and salad works best for the lunch offering. For dinner though I prefer the older style dinners - small salad with a hot entre with vegetables. Kind of like a TV dinner. Choices were baked salmon, shrimp scampi, baked chicken, steak, etc. along with a vegetable and potato.
The coach meals on international flights are generally what you describe, and are in fact preferable to many of the FC domestic meals.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta DM
But think of all those starving folks in back! Get your meal and peace meal it out to those in the exit rows, then to the bulk head, then whatever is left to those from the front to back on the even # flights, and those from the back to the front on odd # flights.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
The coach meals on international flights are generally what you describe, and are in fact preferable to many of the FC domestic meals.
Agreed. I thought the coach meals on my recent flights to CDG were excellent. A large salad in an oval dish - finally they are serving the enhanced salad which was the rationale for charging for the booze. Plus the chicken entres were very good.

Of course the difference in domestic F is that this meal is served on a plate instead of the baking dish in International coach. But that is just presentation.

While BF is great - I tend to over eat and drink - I feel better when I arrive on international coach.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
Why don't you try to mix it up again yourself. Try special ordering kosher/veg/halal/low sodium/children's/etc. I have also noticed that since many times the special meals are standard, you can get a better and larger meal with a special meal than with a standard one.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
While BF is great - I tend to over eat and drink - I feel better when I arrive on international coach.
If I flew BF twice a week I'd weigh 500 pounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.