Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien (formerly Le Royal Meridien), Hamburg, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien (formerly Le Royal Meridien), Hamburg, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Arrow Le Meridien (formerly Le Royal Meridien), Hamburg, Germany [Master Thread]

Sitting in the DL lounge in JFK about to board my flight to MAN, will end up in HAM as I'm catching the final game of the WC. Bcs I couldn't find any reasonable rooms in Berlinb I'm staying in Hamburg at the Royal Meridien. I tried to search but found squat (using a blackberry so this might be why...). Anyone been to this property? Was told is new and centrally located. I'm looking forward to check out a new city (for me and the misses) and of course rack up a few pts in the process...
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:13 pm

Programs: US P, DL, AA, Marriott S, Hilton S
You'll have a wonderful time in Hamburg. The Meridien is one of my favorite there. The rooms are very modern with flat screen TVs and very cool bathrooms. As far as location, you are right on the Alster Lake. Not quite dead city center, but close enough. To watch the world cup with the masses, go to Heiligengeist Feld (the fan fest) and afterwards have a few beers on the Reeperbahn (a street with more than enough to do). After that you'll be glad to get back to your hotel in a more quite part of town.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Le Royal Meridien Hamburg report 12/2006 Over the top!

Preface: In HAM for two nights. Had a less than perfect stay going at the Park Hyatt Hamburg so decided to end my suffering. Here for one night.

Rate: Used 7000 SPG points. Booked online after calling Hotel to make sure they could get me in early. Booked online and arrived at the Hotel at 9 AM. Knew the room was upgraded.

Transportation: Less than 5 euros from the Park Hyatt so less from Hbf on the meter.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: I arrived early. My situation was already known to the agent who promptly checked me in. I think they were happy to get someone from the Park Hyatt. The agent asked me to sign a slip to pull 7500 points from my account. This had already been done online so I asked them to check again. The online award was only 7000 points.

Perks: Offered amenity card and picked 500 points again. Was also told I could freely raid the frig.. I guess this is a Le benefit which I welcome.

Lounge: This Hotel does not have a Lounge. Club Lounge that is.

Room: Pay attention. It is worth it! You enter onto carpet. To the right are two coat hooks followed by a small wall closet which hold an iron, iron board, pant press and hair dryer. The wood are light natural. This is followed by a desk with chair. You also have two side tables. The one closest the window has a fax machine with a seprate number on it. This wall has a large flat panel tv. Next you come upon floor to double ceiling plate glass windows which look out onto the Lake. This bay has a floor amounted heater. Coming around you have a large comfy bed with a nice glass window backing which lights up. Bed area is on hardwood. You have a coffee maker, safe and frig. Small closet here. This is followed by the bathroom described below. You next have stairs near the door which leads to the upstairs fun area. OK. I need to run upstairs to take a look again what is up there.

Back. You have 16 steps to the top. Carpet again followed by hardwood. You have another great view of the Lake. You have a side table with fruit followed by a small comfy chair. Next you have another flat panel tv. A Bose unit sits below. This is followed by yet another frig to raid. Facing the tv you have a larger I would say day bed. Upstairs has another bathroom. The views from this "suite" or I would say loft studio are stunning. I've done my touring and now am just enjoying the view catching up.

Bathroom: Downstairs. Looks like marble floow. You have a chrome towel warming rack. This is followed by a single basin, toilet and very nice shower. The bathroom is stocked with Hermes amenities.

Upstairs. Same floor here. You have a solid tub with feet, single basin wash with a toilet. More amenities here.

Internet: Wired. 24 hour period 20 euros. They offered a package which included all movies for 33 euros which I went for. It is overcast and I probably will not go out again after a great late lunch.

I went to the Business Center on 8. Printed my BA baording passes. No charge. Nice touch.

Gym: Somewhere.

Spa: ?

Eating venues: There is a bar and restaurant on this floor- 9.

Local markets: Did not see anything close. The Hbf is within walking distance. Probably not with luggage.

Local area: A nice walking area. You only need to think about one thing- Lake.

Negatives: None.

Closing: This is one of the nicest places I've visited. The Hotel is exceptional. The room is over the top. Beautiful and the view is priceless. You must consider this property if you are going to visit HAM. Would return without doubt. Life is good. The staff is pleasant and helpful. Very professional. Regards from HAM. Onto another great European city tomorrow.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Nice review. HAM has one of the nicest inner-cities in Europe. The Alster Lake is beautiful, and certainly worth a stroll if you have nice weather. City Hall and good shopping close by. I've never stayed at the LM yet.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Thanks for posting this report! I might attend Aircraft Interiors Expo 2007 and the LM is just right across the Congress and the Exhibition Centre so it's either that or the LM Stillhorn which is much cheaper for the convention date. It's great to get some insight on this property!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:58 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Well they are not perfect. When I arrived yesterday it was not possible to log into the internet. I did yesterday evening and all was well. This morning the system was slow as- . Well you know. Called down and another server problem. They took 20 euros off straight away.

I also called down yesterday evening for a wake-up call. They missed that also because of a phone system problem by 30 minutes. Fortunately I had two other back-ups including a little jet lag.

Off to Geneva via LHR. Not President Wilson for me. Did a priceline stay and got the Movenpick for $80 USD. I'll save my CHF and SPG points.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:38 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
The Meridien is nice, but compared to the Hyatt the miss the nice pool and the club level.

Btw. your room key allows you to get free Alster cruises.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: All of them
I agree the Meridien is great. However, for travellers who need to use the Internet a lot, I would recommend the Hyatt instead. The Internet connection was ridiculously slow, making it impossible to surf the web effeciently. I complained at the font desk and was told "too many guests were surfing". Hmm, this never happened at any of the other 50 hotels I stayed in during 2005 and 2006. I was refunded 50% of my 80 euros for 4 days of Internet usage.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I had a great stay at this hotel as well. I was there during the World Cup and used points for 2 nights about 3 weeks before my arrival.
The Hotel was also the FIFA headquarters (I did not know that at the time) and I was able to buy a ticket for The Equador Vs. Costa Rica game from the temporary ticket office that they had set up, face value for a really good seat.
The hotel, even with all those VIPs gave me a really nice room. One of the top floors with a lake view. I even got a free breakfast, I think that was a mistake on their part.
Overall, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.^ ^
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Great hotel and easily walkable to the train station (if bag is on wheels -- otherwise forget it, probably about 5 blocks).

Hotel overlooks lake, which is beautiful, and nice for walking around. There's a great bar just down the block too.

Only drawback is to get to the shopping and other city-center areas it takes a short cab ride or a brief walk (10-15 min.).

The rooms are pretty cool, funky furniture, large-screen TV, and sleek bathrooms with sliding glass doors and such. Very comfortable.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 5:43 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Question Hamburg Germany SPG hotels - Free minibar at Le Royal Meridien

Wow, never seen a hotel with a free minibar, restocked every day? What's in this minibar? Anyone ever experience this hotel? How about it's sister location Le Méridien Hamburg - Stillhorn?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Wow, never seen a hotel with a free minibar, restocked every day? What's in this minibar? Anyone ever experience this hotel? How about it's sister location Le Méridien Hamburg - Stillhorn?
It's one of the nicer hotels in Hamburg. The mini-bar has a couple of bottles of beers, sodas, and waters. I can't remember the rest, if any. No experience with the other one but it's not close to downtown.

There are already a couple of threads on each.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:46 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
I'm going to stay here in March. What u-bahn (subway) station is closest to hotel? How long would be the walk to the u-bahn station?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:56 pm

The hbf is a easy less than 10 minute walk if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:23 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
What's in the complementary minibar??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.