Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL will have special nonstop flights CMH/GNV-PHX during bowl games

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/061208/110123.html

Buckeyes, Gators and Delta: A Winning Combination for 2007 BCS Championship Game
Friday December 8, 9:43 am ET
Airline to fly special nonstop flights for Ohio State and Florida fans to watch the game

PHOENIX, Dec. 8, 2006 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Whether you wear the scarlet and gray of Ohio State or the orange and blue of Florida, Buckeyes and Gators fans will have one thing in common next month -- convenient nonstop service between their hometowns and Phoenix aboard Delta Air Lines. In response to overwhelming requests by customers in the two communities, Delta will add special nonstop flights from Columbus, Ohio, and Gainesville, Fla. to Phoenix for fans to cheer on their teams at the Bowl Championship Series national championship football game in Glendale, Ariz.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:56 am

GNV-PHX roundtrip is $1,196.60 (pricing in Y & H) and CMH-PHX is $678.61 (pricing in H). Evidently they expect Gator fans to chomp these seats up.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Flights CMH-PHX

Around the two previous Fiesta bowls which featured OSU Columbus supposedly had multiple addition flights to cover the fans. The numbers of fans that would fly to attend these games from Ohio was one of the reasons OSU got the at large BCS bid to the Fiesta Bowl last year. This was based upon experience from the 2002 National Championship game (OSU vs Miami). OSU fands purchased all their allotted tickets plus a large number of tickets that Miami couldn't sell. You need planes to transport the fans.

Frankly I am surprised that Delta did not choose to fly from JAX rather the GNV. It only 65 miles and open to larger planes. Additionally, a lot of fans live outside GNV which is an isolated small college town.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:39 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I checked ATL-PHX flights earlier this week and it was $1,157 as a T fare!!!! A T fare that is almost $1200?!?!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jfulcher
I checked ATL-PHX flights earlier this week and it was $1,157 as a T fare!!!! A T fare that is almost $1200?!?!
Yeah, it is too expensives with T fares. I can't proved it with DL has been spent lot of the money when you are fly out there. Please try to do something else with other airlines to get lower fares.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
You can't expect them to operate these point-to-point flights at $200 RT. They've got to fly the plane empty to GNV in the first place, then once it is in PHX they've got to get it back in the network again. They've got to cover these added expenses.

I suspect that out of, say, 25,000 fans making the trip, they can find 150 of them willing to pony up for the nonstop convenience.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat
The seats are selling. One flight from GNV-PHX and one from PHX-GNV are almost sold out.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
This does seem like an awfully lot of seats, especially considering that many have already bought them with other routings, I imagine. But I would also guess that some alums would pony up the big dough to fly nonstop.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:38 am

I don't think I'd pay $1,000 RT for a chance that I'd be bumped.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mtparadis
GNV-PHX roundtrip is $1,196.60 (pricing in Y & H) and CMH-PHX is $678.61 (pricing in H). Evidently they expect Gator fans to chomp these seats up.
And they will. UF fans = zero fiscal responsibility.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
While not UF-OSU type travel, I do know of several other Wake Foresters that are ponying up $500/flight to head on down to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the Orange Bowl. Flights out of both airports on nearly all airlines are pretty full already, between the New Year and now that Orange Bowl teams are decided, the flights have gotten a lot fuller in the past week (I've noticed it on several flights that I've been booking for people).
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:08 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mersk862
While not UF-OSU type travel, I do know of several other Wake Foresters that are ponying up $500/flight to head on down to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the Orange Bowl. Flights out of both airports on nearly all airlines are pretty full already, between the New Year and now that Orange Bowl teams are decided, the flights have gotten a lot fuller in the past week (I've noticed it on several flights that I've been booking for people).
Myself and 7 other of my friends cancelled our ATL-FLL tickets after GTs horrible showing in the ACC Championship. So there are at least 8 seats open now.. We just cancelled this morning.. We bought them about 3 weeks ago for 250 round trip - we changed them back to JAX for the Gator bowl and I only had to pay $16.. Not bad.. Not looking forward to going back to JAX again though..
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:09 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
You can't expect them to operate these point-to-point flights at $200 RT. They've got to fly the plane empty to GNV in the first place, then once it is in PHX they've got to get it back in the network again. They've got to cover these added expenses.

I suspect that out of, say, 25,000 fans making the trip, they can find 150 of them willing to pony up for the nonstop convenience.
Why do they have to fly them empty? They can operate an ATL-GNV flight on the way down and a GNV-ATL flight on the way back. These are scheduled flights, not charters correct?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:28 pm

The positioning flights have yet to be loaded into the CRS. I'd bet the ones to/from PHX at least get sold, and see no reason why they wouldn't sell all of them. However, I do know that they ferried empty 757s CVG-SDF this year on the day after the Derby.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Myself and 7 other of my friends cancelled our ATL-FLL tickets after GTs horrible showing in the ACC Championship. So there are at least 8 seats open now.. We just cancelled this morning.. We bought them about 3 weeks ago for 250 round trip - we changed them back to JAX for the Gator bowl and I only had to pay $16.. Not bad.. Not looking forward to going back to JAX again though..
I was on the 830 a.m. ATL-JAX flight the morning of the ACC Championship game and I felt a little out of place - all GT fans in the CRC and on that 767-300 - not much Wake Forest love on that flight. (Although I guess the 830 a.m. US Airways CLT-JAX flight on an A321 was the complete opposite; no surprise on either).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.